Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pinning Beavertail grip safety

werewolf45auto

Lot's of ways to do it. The way mine is pined is with a little hole drilled into the bottom of my GS and a roll pin set in place so that when my MSH is slid up, it pins the GS in.

You could also drill a hole in the MSH at the same place the roll pin is set into the GS were they contact and that will keep it pinned in place.

I have searched this a 1000 times and can't find anything. I remember reading how to do it a long time ago but now I can't find anything. Please help.

Here's the thread, with a picture on page 2

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...safety&st=0

thanks,

thats the one i read before. I just couldn't seem to find it when I need it.

I think I'll gow ith the roll pin in the grip safty as its easy to get rid of if I ever sell it.

werewolf,

Asked a primere gunsmith this question about pinning a safety and here is his reply.

JK

In today's litigious society, no way. What some have done is to have a gunsmith drill a "lightening" (absolutely no defensible reason for doing so) hole in the top of the mainspring housing or the bottom of the grip safety that just by chance perfectly limits the grip safety motion when a section of 1/16 spring (roll) pin mysteriously finds its way into the hole. I did some long ago for bullseye match shooters before I recognized the potential liability problem with defeating a safety device. There are other ways of getting around grip problems that don't shift the grip safety far enough to allow the pistol to fire. The easiest is to build up the bottom 3/8 + or - of the rear face of the grip safety to allow a lighter grip to fully depress the now thicker safety pad (as seen on Wilson and Ed Brown grip safeties, etc.). Works like a champ and most shooters agree it actually provides a very consistent and positive grip positioning aid or witness. Because it is a low stress item, a pad can be effectively epoxied in place. Hope that answers your question.

The easiest way to "pin" a grip safety doesn't actually involve a pin. Cut a small, rectangular piece out of a Shok Buff or similarly squishy piece of rubber; pull the mainspring housing off the gun; insert the rubber between the top of the mainspring housing and the bottom of the grip safety to the right of the hammer strut (you don't want it on the left side or it can affect trigger pulls); then mash the rubber between the two parts (it will take quite a bit of force) as you reinstall the mainspring housing. Voilà! You have a pinned grip safety, with very little work, and no permanent modifications to the gun.

Having said that, I greatly prefer to "sensitize" the grip safety so it's still totally functional but will disengage with very little inward movement. But that's an entirely different topic.

BTW, the built-up "speed bumps" on modern grip safeties don't "work like a champ" for everyone.

I'm with Duane on this one. I have used the "rubber Hose" trick for years and it works. I have used roll pins and filed off the piece to deactivate the grip safety and I like the rubber hose/shock buffer trick best.

I use a small piece of black rubber gas line (about 1/4" thick) cut in half with a razor.

Buddy

That premier gunsmith was a wuss :roflol:

The memory pads/raised grip safeties don't work for me and even sensitizing as much as possible isn't 100%. The piece of rubber in between the MSH and GS can come loose at the worst time....it's a Murphy thing.

Pin that sucker and press on!

The grip safety design doesn't match up well with my grip either. :(

And then there is this...

Shooter tripped at a Level II recently. Loose gravel. I understand he hit hard and lost the gun. My guess (well...my buddy's guess, who was there) is a light trigger and a pinned/deactivated grip safety...coupled with that loose gravel hitting the trigger as the gun tumb;led.

Impact...too close for comfort.

Shooter tripped at a Level II recently. Loose gravel. I understand he hit hard and lost the gun. My guess (well...my buddy's guess, who was there) is a light trigger and a pinned/deactivated grip safety...coupled with that loose gravel hitting the trigger as the gun tumb;led.

This has been a concern of mine as well. But I have been reluctant to admit it.

One of my guns (SVI) is pinned and it has a 1.5lb trigger pull. I pinned it because I would always miss the grip safety which is low profile. I had been using an STI and was used to that big chunk of metal sticking out on the STI GS and never had a problem with it. Trying to go back and forth between the two I decided to pin the SV and be done with it. What I guess I need to do is have a smith fit an STI GS on my SV???

Anybody else had this problem?

Ouch!! Scary.

This is the reason Charlie said he would NOT do it.

The ONE time out of a million? that would result in someone getting injured/killed and there is NO justification that a judge/jury will buy for it.

Just think about it.

The jury (most of whom are probaly nonshooters) hear that you deliberately disabled a safety device that the manufacturere had installed on this model firearm to prevent the very accidnet that resulted.

Man they will vote to fry you in Wesson oil.

Its not a question of the plaintiff prevailing its a question of how many zeros are going to be on the end of that huge number.

I know I'm preaching to the heathens :devil: but just think about the ramifications of what just one whoopsie can cost you.

JK

There's a story of a gunsmith who disabled a GS for a customer... who then had his gun stolen... and the thief or somebody later then shot somebody with it.. and they came after the gunsmith for making the gun 'unsafe'

All the do it, don't do it, is all around us every day and we all have to make decisions that could/will impact the rest of our lives. Like speeding when your late for work. Now I would guess some or all of you who are against pining a safty have at one point or even evrey day speed in your car or truck. I for one do not speed anymore as I learned after loosing my licence for six months. My only point is that yes there is a one in a million chance I could pin my safty, drop my gun and hurt someone. I'm just weighing the odds and being a realist that if I'm useing my gun and someone gets hurt I'm going down any which way. I also live in CA and will probably look like rambo with features that make my gun easy to shoot and thats "sooooo much more dangerous than a single shot 223".

I'm not trying to come down on anyone I just think things like this become 38spl VS 357mag, or their ain't nothin like my 45 and so on.

It's already pinned and I shot some very nice loads with it today using N320. Now I just gatta practice because I'm going to make the switch to Limited the first of the year.

I'm not looking at it from a view of what the probability of it happening is....I'm looking at it as if I knew there is a HIGH probability it would happen and what a jury/judge would say if they knew you deliberately disabled a safety divice that contributed to the accident.

Hey we're all big boys and do what you want and all but look at it this way...I have fire extinguishers in my home but the probability of it actually going on fire is low.

I'm a big believer in taking REASONABLE precautions and disabling safety devices on a deadly weapon is not a reasonable thing to do.

JK

I'm just weighing the odds and being a realist that if I'm useing my gun and someone gets hurt I'm going down any which way.

Which will be little comfort to the person you just injured, crippled or killed.

This was not meant to imply that I would not feel bad. I would feel terrible if anyone ever got hurt, wether or not I had anything to do with it.