Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Pro extraction problems

SMSI

Yesterday, my brand new M&P Pro failed to extract 6 times in the first 300 rounds. Exact same issue every time - empty case partially pulled out of the chamber about 1/4", maybe less, then extractor lets go and gun jams when it tries to feed another round. Seemed to happen evenly through the session. This is a time consuming malfunction to fix, since you have to lock the slide back, pull out the mag, drop the slide and then rack again to eject the case, then load new mag. Another guy I know has had same problems, and had 2 such jams today in an IDPA match, before he switched guns. My understanding is that this is a problem recognized by S&W, but I am not sure about that. I have also been told that PMC factory ammo works "better." Atlanta Arms and Wal Mart white box do not work well from my experience.

Also, my front sight is not centered, causing hits to the right.

This is disappointing, since the std 9mm M&P I have has worked well, but I feel it needs some more length for 25 yd + shots. As it is, my Pro is not match-worthy.

Any info or similiar experiences on this?

I would check the extractor tension on your 4in gun, then check the tension on the Pro and see if there is any difference? Slip a case under the extractor with the barrel out on both and also look at both extractors and see if there is any difference?

Also put a loaded round in both barrels out of the gun and see if they sit the same depth.....

I would on Monday call customer service and get a return tag for a fix......my 4 and 5in MPs eat anything.....

Good luck,

DougC

My M&P 9C had the same problem. Called S&W mailed it back and they repaired and returned it to me in a week or so. Looking at it after I think some of the slides finish was on the cut for the extractor, or perhaps the extractor was too thick. Anyway it was re-fitted and now the pistol works fine. It eats everything.

Boats

I had the same problem with failure to extract from my M&P Pro, as well as light primer strikes. I sent the gun back to S&W and they turned it around in a week and a half. The work they performed was:

1) Replaced the extractor.

2) Replaced the striker assembly.

3) Modified the barrel (I don't know what they modified).

4) Replaced the sear (I wish they had not done this as I had done a trigger job on it and had the pull down to 3lb).

I put a couple hundred rounds of Winchester white box on it today with no problems.

I have experienced the same problem with my new Pro as witnessed by SMSI. I dismissed the first couple failures to "break in" but after checking the extractor tension on live rounds, it's pretty loose compared to another popular polymer gun I own. I called S&W and it looks like I will be sending mine in also. It's good to hear that others have had luck with S&W warranty service. Still a bit disappointing however.

je

I had the same problem with failure to extract from my M&P Pro, as well as light primer strikes. I sent the gun back to S&W and they turned it around in a week and a half. The work they performed was:

1) Replaced the extractor.

2) Replaced the striker assembly.

3) Modified the barrel (I don't know what they modified).

4) Replaced the sear (I wish they had not done this as I had done a trigger job on it and had the pull down to 3lb).

I put a couple hundred rounds of Winchester white box on it today with no problems.

Where did you find instructions on the trigger job? Or did you just figure it out yourself?

From my understanding the "barrel modification" S&W does to fix the extraction issue is noting more than a chamber polish. It seems the melonite finish in some chambers is a little rougher than others and can cause the brass to stick a bit.

S&W takes great care of their customers, but if you don't feel like sending it in just run a felt bob with a bit of polishing rouge on the dremel and it should fix it right up.

ps the trigger job should still be on my web site I never took it down, so a google search for M&P trigger job and it should be the top listing.

From my understanding the "barrel modification" S&W does to fix the extraction issue is noting more than a chamber polish. It seems the melonite finish in some chambers is a little rougher than others and can cause the brass to stick a bit.

S&W takes great care of their customers, but if you don't feel like sending it in just run a felt bob with a bit of polishing rouge on the dremel and it should fix it right up.

ps the trigger job should still be on my web site I never took it down, so a google search for M&P trigger job and it should be the top listing.

I started having extraction problems with my 9L. I followed Dan's advice and they went away.