Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Racker Keeps Falling Off

ExtremeShot

I have a slide racker that keeps falling off. It has an 8-32 set screw in the center of the dovetail. During a match, it works loose and will eventually fly off. I put a little blue thread lock on it to try to keep it on but that doesn't work.

I'm thinking I would like to use a Ball-Nose Spring Plunger (ball detent) to keep it on. I don't know how most people install them, however, I'm thinking I would like to put the plunger in the slide racker and simply put a small detent in the frame (I don't have a lot of meat below the dovetail in the frame).

My problem is that the 8-32 plunger in McMaster is 0.344" high. The height of my racker is about half that. I don't want the plunger sticking way above the racker.

If you look at the pictures below, you see there is a spring behind the ball. I'm wondering if I could remove the ball, sand the end down, and shorten the spring?

Anyone have any ideas? I'm sure Toolguy will know what to do? :)

Thanks,

Darren

From McMaster.com:

84775ap1s.gif3408al1s.gif

Those don't work mainly for the reason you stated. They don't make one short enough to fit a slideracker. Most folks put the ball in the slide.

What doesn't work? The ball detent?

No, the threaded inserts aren't short enough to fit in the racker. Drill the left side of the dovetail and put the detent there.

OK. ...You guys are restating what I already know. LOL.

So we're back to putting it in the gun. Another reason why I don't want to do that is because I just had the gun finished plus my slide has been internally lightened. ....The plunger would most likely go all the way through. I know it's not a huge deal, but there's something about drilling all the way through that I don't like. I'd prefer to modify the plunger.

For those that have messed with those plungers, do you think I could modify it?

DM

OK. ...You guys are restating what I already know. LOL.

So we're back to putting it in the gun. Another reason why I don't want to do that is because I just had the gun finished plus my slide has been internally lightened. ....The plunger would most likely go all the way through. I know it's not a huge deal, but there's something about drilling all the way through that I don't like. I'd prefer to modify the plunger.

For those that have messed with those plungers, do you think I could modify it?

DM

There's no detent for the original set screw?

I think you are mistaken about one thing. I made the same mistake. I thought that the gunsmith would drill and tap my slide, then screw one of those pre-fab plungers into the frame under the racker. Not so!!

They drill a hole deep enought to insert a spring and ball, then use a special punch to peen the rim of the hole enough to hold the ball in the hole. Instant plunger, no tapping or screwsing, minimal depth needed.

As your gunsmith if he can put one in your slide or racker without using the pre-fab plunger.

Ask your gunsmith if he can put one in your slide or racker without using the pre-fab plunger.

I am my own gunsmith. :D ...I've just never messed with these ball detents before.

They drill a hole deep enought to insert a spring and ball, then use a special punch to peen the rim of the hole enough to hold the ball in the hole. Instant plunger, no tapping or screwsing, minimal depth needed.

Now thats an idea. If I get a small enough ball and spring, I ought to be able to do the same think in the racker, eh?

Try This<--Clicky

It says the kit includes a #30 drill bit which I think is about 0.128 in diameter. That tells me the ball is about .128 or less. ....if I could get a ball that is even smaller and peen [around the lip of the hole] like described, that might be a way to jerry rig it into the racker. Whatcha think Matt?

D

Edited by ExtremeShot

Hmm, after looking at the release some more, it appears the problem is that there won't be enough depth to give the spring space to be compressed. I was thinking about cutting down a strong mag-release spring...problem is that I'd only have room for a couple coils. Shoot.

So how about drilling long ways through the racker dovetail and putting a leaf spring in there that presses down on a detent? You're Mr. Wizard, firgure it out ;)

Mr. Wizard? LOL How did I earn that nickname?

Thanks for the idea Matt. Yep, that's a good idea.

Darren

• 1 month later...

So how about drilling long ways through the racker dovetail and putting a leaf spring in there that presses down on a detent? You're Mr. Wizard, firgure it out ;)

[/quote

Sounds close. How about drilling a hole in dovetail of frame, put spring in hole with ball on top then push into hole and displace some metal on top by tapping with a punch that is slightly larger in diameter to the hole. Problem is I'm not sure you'll have control on how high the ball will sit in frame/dovetail. It might sit too far in frame then it wont do anything. At that point your scr...d. Good luck trying to get that ball out! If anybody knows the most accurate way to get this job done please share.

Speed-

Its a matter of touch with the punch while staking. If you screw up and stake it too deep, you can push the ball down with a small punch and enlage the staked portion of the hole with the tip of a round needle file (it is a pain in the a$$ though) until the ball is high enough. You also need the detent in the racker aligned with the ball hole. If you don't have a mill, you could put the racker in the slide and drill a small hole (1/16 or smaller) all the way the racker into the slide and use it for alignment to drill the hole in the slide and the detent in the racker. I wouldn't try this without a drill press.

The racker I have is kept in place with a set screw. Problem was that no matter how hard I cranked down on the allen wrench, the set screw would eventually come loose and fly off during a match. I was even using blue loctite on the set screw.

I've been lazy and haven't come up with a solution other than to put some blue loctite in the dovetail before installing the racker. When it dries and expands, it does a good job of keeping the racker in place.

What I'd like to find is a little set screw that had the nylock ring around it.

Darren

Darren-

Sounds like you've got some loose threads in that racker! Do you have a small detent (hole) in the slide that the set screw can recess into?

No detent, yet. ....It could be that I drilled too large of a hole before I cut the threads in the racker. ....I've put this on the back burner.....I'm currently working on making some tungsten guide rods. All the rods I previously made broke so I'm working on a new design.