Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Random buzzer beep help

PINMAN44

Hey all

I noticed my draw times are a little bit slower with the random beep on the timer vs. the instant beep. Is there anyway to correct this? I noticed that the time before the beep can be anywhere from two to four seconds on the random selection. Maybe I'm anticipating it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Robby

Edited by PINMAN44

I'm not sure that I am fully understanding the question so I may be a little off base here. While trying to increase my draw speed, I discovered that technique is only half the equation. The other half being tuned reflexes. I don't want to just "go" when I hear the beep. I want to "explode into action" at the "B" of beep. I don't think of the beep as a start signal. I try to think of it more in the way you do when a sudden noise startles you, You instantly jump. It doesn't take a lot of practice to make your reflexes faster, just think of it in a different way. While waiting on the beep, clear your mind, look at a spot on the target, and totally focus on the "B" of the beep. The instant you hear it, let it startle you and jump into action. :)

Don thank you for your help, it's not my reflexes, I just get startled by the delay of a random buzzer beep for some reason. On the instant beep there is no problem because I constantly know that when the RO says stand by that its an instant. Random makes me wait around and I get impatient and sometimes I jump the buzzer. Kind of like a football player being offsides.

You know what I mean?

I find for myself, I am always faster if I feel the beep surprises me. DonT's advice to just clear your mind and listen for the very start of the beep is good stuff. I think you're onto something with the "waiting around slows me down" thing. There can - though there doesn't necessarily have to - be an involuntary buildup of tension in the muscles while waiting for the beep that slows you down. Instead of using that time to get tense, use it to relax. If you clear your mind you can't, by definition, anticipate the beep.

Also to expand a bit on what DonT said. On the 3GM DVD, Max Michel says something to the effect of, "Remember, there are four letters in "Beep." B. E. E. P. What you want to be listening for, and going on, is the 'b' in Beep." That seems to be a good way to think of it - it works for me.

With your mind quietly holding the image of your first sight picture on the target, listen for the beginning of the beep.

be

I really like that part...alot.

That is more than the "right frame of mind" for that first shot...it also sets the mind for the rest of the shooting. Nice.

• 1 month later...

I trained out anticipating the buzzer and being better able to handle long "standby"s by setting the start delay and pause between strings on my ced7k to a really long time, like 15-20 seconds. even though it's not random, it's really hard to anticipate a long delay like that. now if I get a long "standby" RO it doesn't feel so long and I'm not so jumpy. Since you have NO idea when it's going to go off (or sometimes if feels like "if" it'll go off), you really learn to listen for that "B" in "Beep"

Don't do it all the time 'cause you don't want to be suprised by a "ShooterReadyStandbyBEEP" RO.

-rvb

Its a lot of time spent listening to that sound and that sound being the cue for you to explode into action.

A lot like the movie Denzel did where he says to the little girl "The gunshot sets you free."

In USMC guarding "highly dangerous ord material" in our reaction force facility we had an alarm bell that sounded to let us know we had to respond to a possible terrorist attack or other emergency involving that ord material.

That bell would sound and the reaction was like that of kicking over a hornets nest.

Well....the bell sounded EXACTLY like the bell that used to sound to signify the train doors were closing.

My wife and I were going into NYC to see the tree and windows many years ago around the holiday and we took the train.

WHen the bell sounded I was out of my seat and moving toward the doors before my brain turned back on and said "WTF are you doing?"

I turned around to a throughly shocked wife and friends and said "I'll explain later."

I have NO doubt that if you practice witht he beeper set on random for a long period of time ?

Eventually it won't matter when the beep sounds you will react the exact same way each time and it will apppear to be very fast to anyone watching you.

Good luck with it.

JK

PS that beep is aparently VERY annoying to anyone trying to watch TV....especially female someones that you're married to.....then you get sent to the basement...with the dog.

• 5 months later...
Well....the bell sounded EXACTLY like the bell that used to sound to signify the train doors were closing.

My wife and I were going into NYC to see the tree and windows many years ago around the holiday and we took the train.

WHen the bell sounded I was out of my seat and moving toward the doors before my brain turned back on and said "WTF are you doing?"

I turned around to a throughly shocked wife and friends and said "I'll explain later."

Been there done that, except it was my kid dropping a book on the wooden kitchen floor.

I know what you mean. I think most ROs.....at least around here, subconsciously start the timer on instant about 2 secs after they say standby. 1-1000, 2-1000, BEEP It's easy to fall into that groove and be thrown off by a 4 sec delay. You start flinching, creeping, jumping around the 3 sec mark.

AL

A good RO will vary the time between "R U Ready" and the beep.Higher class shooters will watch an RO to see if the time delay is constant and take advantage of it. Part of the game.

CYa,

Pat

Although I try to vary the time for that exact reason I imagine I am pretty predictable on the timer. Except for when you grab a timer thinking it is random and it is instant and you say standbybeepstop. I wonder why it is not mandated in the rule book to keep the timers on random so as not to give a unfair advantage if a good shooter is squadded with a weak RO all day?

AL