Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double stack reloads Vid

Aristotle

So I'm finally getting some practice in on the open gun that I plan to shoot next season. Shooting single stack all this season has helped me get smoother with reloads. But I feel like a slug doing it now. Looks good on film, but I just feel slow, don't know how to explain it.

Here's what I see:

- I'm not dropping the mag fast enough because I have to readjust my grip to hit the mag release. Hands too small?

- Losing time having to reacquire my grip.

- Eye's aren't "snapping" back to target.

I may have to just be content with my mag button speed. Either the grip has to get smaller or my hands need to get bigger. I can't hit the mag button without flipping the gun. Any suggestions?

Edited by Aristotle

I have some hand files, but no machine. Is it hard to shape? I need a paddle/lever that'll get as far back as possible. Of course that I'm still able to grip and not drop mags prematurely.

I shaped mine with a air grinder w/a 3m sanding disc the button is about the size of a nickle to start with. I don't know if you could do it with a file. I havent dropped any mags prematurely but if you go with a button you need a Extra power mag catch spring from Wollf.

BK

I just watched the video again. Are the mags loaded w/dummy rounds. If not this will make the mags drop faster because of the weight.

Also when you hit the mag button try to keep the mag well parallel with the ground this will let the mag come straight out and let gravity work with you.

BK

Mags are completely empty. I'll roll up some dummy rounds tonight and give that a try, didn't think of that.

Part of the reason I hit the button with the gun pointed up is because I can't reach it and have to flip the gun. I'm hoping I could help it along with a paddle/lever button. My thumb won't reach without flipping.

I've never had a reload as fast as yours and I'm certainly no expert, but it does look like the grip is too large for your hands. It looks like your right thumb is pointed upward, implying the back of the grip isn't in the web of your hand, but rather at the base of your right thumb.

I'm certainly no expert at this either but here are a few things I do and possible things to work on.

First use dummy rounds. On draw practice load the mag up to the top. For reloads estimate what you usually end with for the drop mag. I use between 2-4 rounds for Limited. Always use a full mag for the reload one so you know how much force it takes to drive it home. The weight and mainly balance of the gun/mags changes a lot between empty and loaded. I usually only use a drop mag to double check myself. Typically I use no drop mag cause I hate picking up mags constantly.

Second, on the reload I see two speed bumps. First is figure out what you have to do so that the mag will drop as close to vertical as possible. There should be no wiggle or bumping involved. It should drop clean. Also at the end I notice you slap the mag home then push the gun back out. Work on combining those motions into one. Also, use a timer to track progress.

Edited by JoshF

Changing divisions again I see... :ph34r:

You could always get a brass base pad for your big magazine. I agree with some other posters though, very rarely will you be dropping a completely empty magazine. The added weight of bullets will cause the magazine to drop faster.

It's good to do static reloads to get the mechanics down correctly, but how often do you do static reloads at a match? The classifier stage maybe, none of the field courses (hopefully!). Try doing dry reloads at home while taking a few steps from one position to another.

mattk

You could always get a brass base pad for your big magazine. I agree with some other posters though, very rarely will you be dropping a completely empty magazine. The added weight of bullets will cause the magazine to drop faster.

It's good to do static reloads to get the mechanics down correctly, but how often do you do static reloads at a match? The classifier stage maybe, none of the field courses (hopefully!). Try doing dry reloads at home while taking a few steps from one position to another.

mattk

have you had the grip reshaped to better fit your hand?

LOL, we all have varying levels of priorities, mine is to still to have fun out there. I have plenty of time till I get "serious" about making a notable classification. I shot a 1911 all of last year, so I'm bringing it back down to fundamentals as this is really the first time I have practiced with my open gun. Just got all the goodies on it, so I'll start working out the kinks and get reacclimated. I practice dynamic reloads as well, it's just not nearly as easy to record, but I do them in my garage with shooting boxes and dry fire targets.

Draws I'm finding are crucial, finding that index so I end up with a red dot on the glass is tricky.

mattk

have you had the grip reshaped to better fit your hand?

I'm going to do that next week. Double undercut the frame, mag catch channel and sand it all down and do a medium stipple. The 3m tape is tearing up my hands from dry fire.

My advice on mag change must been CONSISTENT!! I think, you should practice that

more and stay away from speed..let time dictate the speed. In a match, since we only get one shot at a stage,

your speed reload will not do crap and you must practice more about your hits! Your video looks good to me.

You should also load up FULL dummy rounds with no PRIMERS AND POWDER and practice with it. totally different from an empty mag. If I recall, we never do a change of emtpy mag anyways? Good luck!

I'm not discounting any of the more important aspects of the game. Accuracy is always a work in progress. It's getting all of these little things hammered out that will allow me to have a clear mind to put holes where I need to put them.

I'm not discounting any of the more important aspects of the game. Accuracy is always a work in progress. It's getting all of these little things hammered out that will allow me to have a clear mind to put holes where I need to put them.

I'm a little rusty but I like what some ppl said on here. Dummy in the mag help with gravity, reload while moving [after you get the standing reload down, which it looks like you do - but then again how can you miss an opening that big... ;-)], and a shot timer. I used to do that all the time, even at 0300. lol When it came match time I never thought about my reload. It was all about getting back to target.

BTW, how's the Open Gun working for you? I shall be back shooting ESP and Production with the trusty XD. ;-)

hey man, been a few moons. They must have you guarding the other coast, lol.

I've only shot the open gun at one match and I had all of a week dryfire practice with it and no live fire practice. I was having some ammo issues, still in load development. I tested a load today that looks promising. We'll see next Sunday at Bunyan, you shootin?

I just watched the video again. Are the mags loaded w/dummy rounds. If not this will make the mags drop faster because of the weight.

Also when you hit the mag button try to keep the mag well parallel with the ground this will let the mag come straight out and let gravity work with you.

BK

Weight won't make a difference on how fast a mag will drop, but it will certainly feel different.

hey man, been a few moons. They must have you guarding the other coast, lol.

I've only shot the open gun at one match and I had all of a week dryfire practice with it and no live fire practice. I was having some ammo issues, still in load development. I tested a load today that looks promising. We'll see next Sunday at Bunyan, you shootin?

We shall see what the schedule looks like... I'm on duty next week so I don't know the plan yet. But I did plan to make it over there for either IDPA or some USPSA match this month. I have something I need to try out also. ;-) I have been pretty busy. I haven't shot my guns since the July match. :-(

BK

Weight won't make a difference on how fast a mag will drop, but it will certainly feel different.

Once free of the gun, I can see that an empty and a full mag should fall at the same rate, but it would seem to me that a loaded/heavier mag would better overcome any forces of friction in the mag well and drop out of the gun more easily/quickly.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

IMHO:

1. Not the ideal position of magwell - make it more easier for mag just to fall down. Dont jerk gun in front-up direction. To the left or to the right a bit better

2. Short thumb - mine as well. When loosing the grip starting to move gun to mag changing point use your left index finger to press trigger guard a bit inward to turn gun itself a bit inward making thumb reach button

3. Sometimes you made reload too high - gun entirely cover target, so you just have no time to understand your sights on the target otherwise you have to move reloaded gun back downward and to the target (waisting time). Try to do always one easy movement with your right hand - to reloading point and back to firing point

Best wishes