Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA guy with some quick IDPA questions

bofe954

I am a mediocre C class single stack USPSA shooter. I'd like to join IDPA. Locally there are times when there are IDPA matches and no USPSA and I'd like to go.

I'll read the rule book and I am not going to start rules battles while I am there.

I shoot USPSA with a comptac belt holster, comptac mag holders and either a STI trojan or SA trophy match.

Will this work for me on a wilderness belt? Am I going to get crap for gaming or whatever, due to equipment?

My primary reason to join is that I need matches between now and next spring as I'd like to go to the USPSA SS classic, so I'd really like to use my SS stuff. If I keep at it awhile I might use something less gamey, maybe a revo or something.

The holster and pouches are fine (actually pretty popular) as is the belt. I use CompTac stuff myself. As long as those guns are below the weight limit, have bushing barrels, and short dustcovers you should be ok there.

I'd say that 90% of the people at sanctioned IDPA matches in Texas are using Comp-Tac gear. It's a local company and we love it. The owner Gregg Garrett is a huge supporter of the sport and donates on a regular basis to match prize tables. The Wilderness belt is also highly regarded.

Your gear is IDPA legal. Welcome and enjoy!

Good, I have had real good luck with comptac.

Anything else I HAVE to have. Is there any kind of light jacket that will work as good as the vests. I'd rather buy something I might use, and I am not a vest wearer. I only need 2 mag holders?

Edited by bofe954

Only need two mag pouches. All that's allowed actually.

I shoot in what ever the weather dictates. Shot a match today. Used my zip up (unzipped) fleece for concealment. If it's warm, I have some short sleeve, button up shirts I got at Walmart. They are a like thin canvas. Faded Glory is the brand. They were $7 so I bought 8 in various colors. I wear them all the time, therefore that's what I shoot with. I'm anti-vest.

• 2 weeks later...

smith and alexander makes a less pockety vest than the 511 vest everyone wears

I already have the tan 511 "vest of shame" so i wear it pretty much right before load and make ready and take it off immediatley afterwards

At most local matches that I go to, when it gets hot out (summer in the South) the vest becomes optional

I dont think it makes a huge difference on match practical draw speeds but it can get in the way of your reloads, so i would practice reloads with the vest on

If what you do in a match is NOT illegal, then it IS legal

Also what the match organizer wrote on the stage description and what "he really meant us to do" are two different things, I opt for what he wrote

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason- probably something to do with my dear old grandmother- I like to always wear a button shirt with a collar.

Geez, writing that makes me feel old.

Anyway, with a t-shirt underneath, another habit I have, the shirt is unbuttoned and untucked and I'm concealed.

I tend to kid the vest-wearers, since none of them carry that way in real life. 'Course, in real life they pocket carry 642s and .380 Kel-Tecs, and that's not flying in IDPA anyway.

I take a little pride in having my Python not particularly showing in the Simply Rugged pancake (a phenomenal hider of large sixguns). I've actually been asked in the middle of a match why I wasn't shooting today, and the big 'ol Colt was right there under my summer shirt.

That from a guy who often shoots a two-inch Detective Special in IDPA and gets mad with himself for not beating all the five-inch Kimbers.

Incidentally, in the cooler months, I reload out of my jacket pocket, with no real loss in speed; it's not legal in USPSA, but it is in IDPA, as long as all of your reloads come from the same place.

The spirit of the game and all that.

p.s.- I DO shoot a spiffed-up Government Model in USPSA. Then I can get mad for not beating all the STIs.

That from a guy who often shoots a two-inch Detective Special in IDPA and gets mad with himself for not beating all the five-inch Kimbers.

Incidentally, in the cooler months, I reload out of my jacket pocket, with no real loss in speed; it's not legal in USPSA, but it is in IDPA, as long as all of your reloads come from the same place.

Why is it not legal in USPSA?

USPSA Rule 5.2.4 says that "during the course of fire, after the start signal, unless stipulated otherwise in the stage procedure, spare ammunition, magazines and speed loading devices shall be carried in retention devices attached to the competitor's belt and specifically designed for that purpose."

It does go on to add, "A competitor may carry additional magazines... in his pockets... without penalty once having dropped or exhausted his primary magazines."

So, yes, you could reload from your pockets in USPSA under that specific condition, but the reality is that you're supposed to be carrying the reloads on the belt. And, a competitor who came to the line with his reloads only in his pockets would be in violation of 5.2.4. I can't recall ever hearing of that happening, and it's not a big thing, but there it is.

I should have been more completely specific.

I tend to kid the vest-wearers, since none of them carry that way in real life.

Sure I do.

'Course, in real life they pocket carry 642s and .380 Kel-Tecs, and that's not flying in IDPA anyway.

For four years I carried concealed on a daily basis - and competed with - a Glock 34 in a Blade-Tech Standard Belt Holster Never had the gun spotted out in the world, either. :lol: