Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practic Plates

sidnal

I'd like to get a few 8" plates to use for practice, but they need to be portable. The bases need to fold down and fit in the trunk of my car. Several companies make bases that fold up, but they aren't small enough for the trunk. It is important that the setup and teardown is quick.

They can not fall. Auto-reset poppers look great, but they are very expensive.

I've checked many of the manufactures. Its easy to get plates, but I haven't seen any inovative portable bases.

Anyone seen any good solutions?

Landis

Here’s an idea. I had a buddy put this together for me. You could shorten the base tube so it fits in the trunk of your car. I think a horizontal section of rebar might work better for the top section. The plates could be welded to sections of pipe that could slide over the rebar. If your plates are hardened they will ring pretty loud when hit.

post-1666-1223966692_thumb.jpg

post-1666-1223966708_thumb.jpg

post-1666-1223966722_thumb.jpg

post-1666-1223966735_thumb.jpg

post-1666-1223966746_thumb.jpg

Q&D targest stand:

1) Obtain one 4X4 that will fit in your trunk or back seat, a small bag of Quik-crete, and a 5 lb coffee can (or similarly sized container)

2) Set 4X4 in container, fill with Quik-crete

3) Attach plate or target to post

I got mine from GT targets. you just supply a 2x4. They have 2 different bases. I took the folding ones due to size. the only thing is you may need to put a spike in at the range because they will turn afetr some hits.

2nd the GT. Got 2 of the 1/2 sized plates. Fast to set up.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I especially like the design of the ones from action. They look like they are study and easy to set up and take down. The ones from GT look great too. I don't have the resources to make them so I need to have a solution to purchase!

Thanks again, Landis

I'd like to get a few 8" plates to use for practice, but they need to be portable. The bases need to fold down and fit in the trunk of my car. Several companies make bases that fold up, but they aren't small enough for the trunk. It is important that the setup and teardown is quick.

They can not fall. Auto-reset poppers look great, but they are very expensive.

I've checked many of the manufactures. Its easy to get plates, but I haven't seen any inovative portable bases.

Anyone seen any good solutions?

Landis

Hey Landis,

How about using 2" to 2-1/2" PVC pipe. Make an "H" for the base with a "T" in the middle. The upright can be any length you want.

Instead of glue, I use a sheet metal screw through the connector so that individual pieces can be replaced when shot up. Pull out the upright and stack a half-dozen in your trunk in no time.

Its been a while since I built mine (PVC prices have gone up) but I got by for around $20 per stand.

Bill

9 to 12 inch paper plates...

No, I'm not kidding. Light, cheap, portable, and throw away. Just tack them up on the top of a target stick or on front of a regular cardboard target.

You shouldn't be listening for the ring anyway... ;)

Edited by kevin c