Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the funniest thing you did in shooting?

shooterbenedetto

Mine would be, before shooting a stage, I tried putting on my IPOD ha d the volume up coz one of the guys said that I would still hear my gun shots and played a classical song on to help me relax! beeper went on and the Ro told me to GO!! didnt even hear the beep, bang bang mike, bang bang mike, shot at the steels and called my shots. After the stage,I left 2 steel standing and had 4 misses yikes!. BAD IDEA!! I was so lost and distracted, Ididnt know what target to shoot at. It was the worst stages that I have ever shot and funniest. What the fu?? the boyz laughed at me so hard but it was one of those good moments at the range!

Now when someone tells me to relax before I shoot, I laugh and this moment helps

me shoot well.

Edited by shooterbenedetto

Coming from CAS (Cowboy Action) when there is a squib or gun malf, we just hand it off to the RO and transition on to the next gun...............

Well, I had a bummer mag that would not seat deep enough for the slide to strip off the next shell, so when my 1911 went click my autopilot says hand the gun off to the RO :rolleyes: . He's standing there with a puzzled look on his face like what the f___ and the time goes by. Then I come back to my senses and just dump the mag and continue on through the COF :roflol:

Just the fun of trying to keep the gun games straight.

Had a little stage at an idpa style match. Bay was all sandy, which was a good thing. Buzzer went off, I took two hard steps forward & decided, evidently, that all that sand looked really good, might as well drop down in it & wallow around some. I fell flat down, landed right on my elbows, gun safe direction still in my hands, etc, just hit right on the elbows, sunk into the sand. I jumped up & just destroyed the stage. Probably broke every idpa style rule but I think the s.o. or whatever he's called was laughing so hard at me because I couldn't even run without falling, he didn't call any of the penalties. Still don't know what I tripped on, I think I just fell. DUH, maybe I was chewing gum???? hahaha.

MLM

I think it was breaking my ankle at the 04 Nationals at Barry. I was presented with a little purple Nuby cup, which I still have, for "grace and poise while not shooting." :rolleyes:

Aaahhhhh! Family. :closedeyes: We luvs them. :wub:

L

I pulled a good one at our last club match.It was a 2 gun rimfire only match with mostly miniture steel,good fun really.Anyway this pistol course had a duelling tree,some mini poppers,and a small flipper target that was basically the stop plate.I proceed to shoot everything except the stop target.Thinking I was done,I drop the mag out of my trusty MKII and was about to clear it when I notice that the RO is just calmly standing there with the timer like he's waiting for me to finish shooting.It was then I realized OH CRAP,I FORGOT THE FLIPPER!So with the mag in one hand,gun in the other,and one round in the pipe,I make the shot and hit the target.It was all I could do to show clear and not fall over laughing.-Mike

At my very first IDPA match, one of the props was a cabbage patch type doll, which the club refers to as "baby dies-a-lot".

While seated at "changing table" holding baby dies-a-lot's feet in both hands, at the buzzer, draw and shoot two threat targets directly across from the table. Then, pick up the baby and run to a barrel. On knees, using thr barrel for cover, engage a few more threat targets strong hand only while protecting the baby.

At the buzzer, I draw, engage the threat targets and take off running towards the barrel. About 20 people simultaneously shout YOU FORGOT THE BABY!

Run back, get baby, finish the stage.

My first match in 1989.

I sprayed 1/2 of a can of Rem oil down the muzzle end of the barrel in my Colt Officers Model right before the match. I have no idea why... :unsure:

But, I'd run out of all my ammo coming up on the last stage and had to go to my big, bad self-defense load. Remington 230 +p+. Well, anyway..as I shot the gun would throw oil onto my glasses..finally, the firing pin stop was sooooo oily that during that last stage I shot, it blew out of the gun and the firing pin shot out and hit me right between the eyes. :surprise:

Mix one part idiot

Two parts, Rem oil

One part Colt

And.... KA-BAM! :wacko:

Edited by BlackSabbath

First stage I shot at Area (I think) 8 this year. We had to carry an ammo can to an opening in a wall in order to open a port with targets along the way. Buzzer goes off, I engage two static targets, pick up the box, turn to start running and promply drop the box to engage two more static targets......strong hand only! Man this is not the way to start a match. After finishing this stage I was about ready to go home. :wacko:

Club match last Saturday. V shaped stage, 2 paper and 4 poppers on each side of a Bianchi barricade. Understand that I designed the stage, and had set it up the day before. Buzzer goes off and I absolutely SMOKED the right side array------then lowered the gun and paused for a while---then uttered a "OH C@&P" and shot the left side. Guess I was so proud of the screamin' run on the right side that I kind of forget the left side was there for a second or two.

My wife of darned near 25 years---after she stopped laughing long enough to talk again,

said that she had never before seen me turn that particular shade of red.

Edited by open17

Shooting "man on man" last year - had to shoot

4 bowling pins a steel target and a stopper -

every once in a while, one shot would take

down two bowling pins, and we'd all laugh.

I shot one stage when one shot took down three

(3) bowling pins - that no one laughed at. Just

moans.

I contributed the "winnings" on that stage to the

club - just couldn't take it.

Jack

There was an alley stage where you were advancing downrange and turning left and right to engage the targets on each side. I got a bad case of trigger freeze and my timing went away. My eyes and head were moving ahead of my hands and gun, so I was looking left and shooting right. To make it worse, there is video... I got decent hits though... :)

Going into the last stage of a team match WITHOUT being aware of our standings.

"Going for it", blowing some of the shots, and then, after its over, having my partner come up to me and say:

"Do you want the bad news first or do you want the REALLY bad news first ?

"Bad news is we finished well back in the pack but the REALLY BAD NEWS IS if we had shot the last stage conservatively instead of "going for it" we would have finished in (at least) the top 5."

ARRRRRRGH!

Sorry Billy.

JK