Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scoring a no-shoot / shoot target combination

Matt Cheely

Take the below target array. Pefs are lined up with the no shoot completely covering the A zone behind it.

post-4907-1222902602_thumb.jpg

What's the call?

Please site all relevant rules to support your position.

2 alphas 2 no-shoot

Edited by sci

Ok Matt. The new guy is game. Although after the last thread like this, I'm a bit apprehensive. :)

It looks like that shot on the left broke the NS perf, so Alpha - Charlie - 2 NS ? If it didn't, then Alpha - Charlie - 1 NS.

Well, wait, both NS have to be counted - right ? (that is, if it broke the perf)

JimInFL

Edited by JimInFL

Take the below target array. Pefs are lined up with the no shoot completely covering the A zone behind it.

What's the call?

2 Alpha 2 no shoot. I'll have to get back to you with the citations later. The no shoot on the perf has a partial touching the A zone and gets both scores.

What's the call?

2 alphas 2 no-shoot

+1 Look at the wording of 9.1.5.3. It says HIT not partial hit. The HIT goes on to score an Alpha after scoring a hit on NS.

9.1.5.3 If a bullet strikes partially within the scoring area of a paper or

metal target, and continues on to strike the scoring area of another

paper target, the hit on the subsequent paper target will also

count for score or penalty, as the case may be.

But, if the target is impenetrable then how does the Alpha exist behind the noshoot? Is the target array considered one target as they are stacked? There is no space between them.

9.1.5 Impenetrable – The scoring area of USPSA scoring targets and noshoots

is deemed to be impenetrable

I have heard a VERY knowledgeable RM argue this position, and yet another make this call at the Nats.

I am interested to hear both sides from the benoverse.

But, if the target is impenetrable then how does the Alpha exist behind the noshoot? Is the target array considered one target as they are stacked? There is no space between them.

I have heard a VERY knowledgeable RM argue this position, and yet another make this call at the Nats.

ok if the no shoot was made of steel inside the perf, the bullet would still hit the perf on the scoreing target ,hence an alpha

1 - A

1 - C

2 - No shoots

Same rule as sci listed, different take

If a bullet strikes partially within the scoring area of a paper or

metal target, and continues on to strike the scoring area of another

paper target, the hit on the subsequent paper target will also

count for score or penalty, as the case may be.

2 Alpha 2 NS

As one who has seen too many holes in no shoots <_<

If they were inocent??? why were the so close to a shoot target :surprise:

Jim

I can see the arguement here...it says the target is impenetrable..(.not the perf.)..if it cuts the perf on the NS, it must cut the perf on the back target.

Edited by GentlemanJim

What's the call?

2 Alpha 2 no shoot. I'll have to get back to you with the citations later. The no shoot on the perf has a partial touching the A zone and gets both scores.

Not according to George Jones' and Troy McManus' recent conversation on this very same topic......

.....that would be 1 Alpha and 1 Charlie to go with the 2 no-shoots. They notified us via this forum that USPSA/NROI has made a change to their interpretation of rule 9.1.5.3 and are teaching something different now in RO classes (I am guessing that is the rule they are changing their interpretation as nothing official has been posted through any official NROI USPSA channels). Point being - they basically said that when you completely cover up a shoot target perf-for-perf with a no-shoot target, that the scoring zone underneath the no-shoot is unavailable. So the shot in the no-shoot cannot touch the perf between the A and C-zone and thus would have to be a C-hit.

I can certainly see and understand how a reasonable and intelligent RO could make an argument for calling it either way, which is why I think it's important for NROI to issue an official ruling on how that is to be scored so that ROs are not going to be forced to make that decision at a match.

Steve

The bullet as it passes through the NS and the scoring target removes the entire perforation / border between the C zone and A zone, thus touching the A zone and getting the higher score according to:

9.5.2 If the bullet diameter of a hit on a scoring target touches the scoring line

between two scoring areas, or the line between the non-scoring border

and a scoring area, or if it crosses multiple scoring areas, it will be

scored the higher value.

9.5.3 If a bullet diameter touches the scoring area of both a scoring target and

a no-shoot, it will earn the score and incur the penalty.

2 A, 2 NS

Not according to George Jones' and Troy McManus' recent conversation on this very same topic......

.....that would be 1 Alpha and 1 Charlie to go with the 2 no-shoots. They notified us via this forum that USPSA/NROI has made a change to their interpretation of rule 9.1.5.3 and are teaching something different now in RO classes (I am guessing that is the rule they are changing their interpretation as nothing official has been posted through any official NROI USPSA channels). Point being - they basically said that when you completely cover up a shoot target perf-for-perf with a no-shoot target, that the scoring zone underneath the no-shoot is unavailable. So the shot in the no-shoot cannot touch the perf between the A and C-zone and thus would have to be a C-hit.

There's what I was looking for. I was unaware that they were now teaching it that way.

That's the way I want to call it. 1A 1C 2NS. However, I fail to accurately back up this call with the rulebook. If you look explicitly at 9.1.5.3 it would indicate 2A 2NS.

If you think about the target presentation, logic says that it is 1 target presentation, therefore the Alpha does not exist behind the noshoot.

Edited by Matt Cheely

There's what I was looking for. I was unaware that they were now teaching it that way.

That's the way I want to call it. 1A 1C 1NS. However, I fail to accurately back up this call with the rulebook. If you look explicitly at 9.1.5.3 it would indicate 2A 1NS.

If you think about the target presentation, logic says that it is 1 target presentation, therefore the Alpha does not exist behind the noshoot.

Hey Matt. Can you please explain why only one NS is considered ? Am I looking at the picture wrong ? The shot does break the perf doesn't it ? I guess I don't understand that part.

JimInFL

My call is 1 alpha, 1 charlie, 2 no shoots based on 9.1.5.3 My Rationale is that while you can not see, hence can not score the target covered with the NS you can see, hence score the Charlie. Even if you took the non scoring border away the targets A zone is stll not visible. Our section hosted a NROI Level I class this past spring. Mr Jones taught the class and we were all very impressed with his level and depth of knowledge. If I recall correctly we came across this very scenario that Matt posted.

Matt,

Did you miss this conversation a week or two ago? The one that the thread was closed on?

(That is why I took it over to the USPSA Forum : http://www.uspsa.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=912 )

I don't remember seeing that one. :ph34r:

At least we can apparently lay it to rest with the RMI's teaching it as 1A 1C 2NS.

At least we can apparently lay it to rest with the RMI's teaching it as 1A 1C 2NS.

No. Not really. You missed that brew up too. :)

That thread went multiple pages in just a few days.

I'm going to go ahead and close this one here...as I have an opinion on it (and was giving it :) ), but our mods shut the same thread down already.

There is a live thread on this on the USPSA forum: http://www.uspsa.org/forums/index.php?show...amp;#entry10267

I just got a PM asking why this thread was closed.

To clarify, we had 11 pages on this exact same topic just a week or two ago.

Read about it here: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=71222

That thread was eventually closed, and we don't re-open closed threads without a change of some sort to justify it.

I didn't close that thread, as I was involved in it. The mod team decided it wasn't going further. (Yes, those jack-booted mods closed a thread I was posting in. How dare they. LOL :) )

There is currently a live thread on this topic on the USPSA Forum: click here