Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front Sight Glare

chuckbradley

I did a search and found one post that explained the phenomenon but didnt see anything that said what you could,if anything, do about it.

At the Teneessee State match this last weekend we had to start on a stage with hardcover targets, azone only. US Poppers and 8" plates out a ways, 18-20 yards. The sun was at about 4o'clock to our backs. I had 2 misses and about 10 extra shots on steel. It was so bad I was taking a hard sight picture and slowly squeezing and still missing. I have had this happen before but it has been just 1-2 targets and I never really considered it an issue. this time with 10 pieces of small steel and hard shots it was a huge issue in the match.

I was the first shooter. I came off the stage talking about how i had a good sight picture. Everybody just looked at me like, SURE! Well when the squad got done they were all talking about it. The next day the first squad said the same thing. Basically what we saw was not the true sight picture. To make it worse some of the targets were in bright sun and some still in the shadows.

The post I found explains it but is there a technique that will help overcome it? Or do you just pull the trigger till they fall like I did. :roflol:

I did a search and found one post that explained the phenomenon but didnt see anything that said what you could,if anything, do about it.

At the Teneessee State match this last weekend we had to start on a stage with hardcover targets, azone only. US Poppers and 8" plates out a ways, 18-20 yards. The sun was at about 4o'clock to our backs. I had 2 misses and about 10 extra shots on steel. It was so bad I was taking a hard sight picture and slowly squeezing and still missing. I have had this happen before but it has been just 1-2 targets and I never really considered it an issue. this time with 10 pieces of small steel and hard shots it was a huge issue in the match.

I was the first shooter. I came off the stage talking about how i had a good sight picture. Everybody just looked at me like, SURE! Well when the squad got done they were all talking about it. The next day the first squad said the same thing. Basically what we saw was not the true sight picture. To make it worse some of the targets were in bright sun and some still in the shadows.

The post I found explains it but is there a technique that will help overcome it? Or do you just pull the trigger till they fall like I did. :roflol:

Sight black in the bag? I've used it before in a USPSA match because of the bad lighting conditions.

That or just remember that if you're missing because of the glare on the sight, you'll always shoot towards the light, so aim the other way.

Sight black in the bag? I've used it before in a USPSA match because of the bad lighting conditions.

That or just remember that if you're missing because of the glare on the sight, you'll always shoot towards the light, so aim the other way.

I dont use a fiber optic and put on fresh sight black. So you need to aim away from the light? Is say 1" per 10 yards a good number?

I dont use a fiber optic and put on fresh sight black. So you need to aim away from the light? Is say 1" per 10 yards a good number?

I've never tried to quantify the sighting adjustment. Only thing I can remember is that my 686 would shoot a good 4" off @ 50yd with the sun at my side. So that 1" per 10yd might be right on.

Edited by Matt Cheely

Chuck,

Are you using a ramped front sight or Patridge? Is the front serrated or smooth? Sight black only on the front sight? A ramped sight will be more likely to reflect a bit, the serrations help diffuse it, and hold the sight black better.

A highpower saying goes, Light's Pp, Sights Up, Light's Down, Sights Down. The unfortunate thing is, everyone's eyes will react differently. So, it's almost impossible to quantify the amount of adjustment.

A few weeks ago, at a local rifle match, myself and several squadmates were hitting the bases of targets at 200 yards. All of us were shooting optics. The sun was bright. I wound up holding just over the top of the LaRue targets to knock the darn things down. When I checked my sights, it was late afternoon, and overcast. It happens with optics too.

That was a good post by xcount, thanks Kyle.

I use a non-serrated post. I did sight black the front and rear. I doubt its much of an issue but this time all the planets lined up just right. Bright sun over your shoulder and a stage filled with tight shots and lots of semi long range small steel.

I may have to send my slide off and gt Dan to undercut the sight and see how that works.

Or I could contact my customer in Alaska who had a lady sighting in her rifle in the next bay while they shot IPSC. She may have some insight on this matter. I think she was going to hunt Moose at a long distance. I believe the sun can be pretty bright up there.

Beside slightly undercutting the front sight, I was a freak about keeping both the front and rear sight perfectly black at all times. In my gun pouch, I taped in a cardboard insert that the front of the slide fit it, so the front sight never touched anything but air. I also made cover for the rear sight (stayed on with a friction fit) out of a piece of PVC tubing. I would leave it on till I went to the line to shoot. And it also stayed on in the gun pouch.

be

You can get the blackening stuff including the best (carbide lamps) at Creedmore sports.

Highpower rifle shooters use it all the time.

Amazing how a little light can throw shooters groups all over the place.

JK

You can get the blackening stuff including the best (carbide lamps) at Creedmore sports.

Highpower rifle shooters use it all the time.

Amazing how a little light can throw shooters groups all over the place.

JK

You read my mind. I was about to ask who sells new style carbide lamps. I have a really old type that I use for PPC, but it would be heck to use easily when shooting IPSC.

I may have to send my slide off and gt Dan to undercut the sight and see how that works.

Have Dan serrate it while he has it.

Unlike Brian, I like a tip that Mike Plaxco gave. Blacken the front only, it makes it stand out, and you should be concentrating on it anyway. Not that I can shoot like either one of them! :roflol:

Here's another source for a carbide sight smoker

http://www.ray-vin.com/

Edited by Dan Sierpina

IIRC athey used to make a sight smoker that used WD-40. I saw it once at a range in Oceanside CA. I haven't seen one since, but I do remember that the guy used WD-40, psrayed it into the little rocks on the inside of the torch, closed the lid and lit it. It smoked his sights and then he capped it and threw it in his gunbag.

IIRC athey used to make a sight smoker that used WD-40. I saw it once at a range in Oceanside CA. I haven't seen one since, but I do remember that the guy used WD-40, psrayed it into the little rocks on the inside of the torch, closed the lid and lit it. It smoked his sights and then he capped it and threw it in his gunbag.

I never heard of using anything but water on the carbide. Water creates acetylene gas.

I use the Birchwood Casey touch up pen. It's essentially paint, comes with a felt tip applicator and you mark it on with no mess. Comes off with just about anything you would use to clean your slide. I've tried cold blue but that didn't work.

Good luck!