Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot my first USPSA match with a revolver.

needknees

I finally did it. With the help of Mr. Perdue and Ranch Products I was all geared up for my first USPSA match shot with a revo yesterday (PS checks are in the mail ;). Thanks for your great products!). What a good time! I've shot steel and IDPA matches with my 625 but never *really* got into it until a couple weeks ago. A week ago I decided I'm going to shoot revo almost exclusively for the next year... and after Sunday's USPSA match I'm very glad I did!

I've never had to analyze stages like that before and it was certainly an interesting experience. Nothing like "limited 6" to really have you make those shots count. Although, I did some figuring and I ended up with 96.66% of total available points... Maybe I need to shoot faster? Towards the end of the match I was approaching stages differently and really getting into it. I certainly know one thing I really, REALLY need to work on are reloads, because shooting a wheel gun you're reloading constantly. I'm struggling hard to get reloads consistently around 3 seconds. I had the cylinder actually close back up on me during movement a couple times :closedeyes:... That needs to be fixed. Practice, practice, practice!

All in all, I'm extremely happy with my decision to focus on revolver. It's fun, I'm sure it's going to significantly help with my autoloader shooting down the road, and best of all... I got all of my brass back!!! :roflol: Hope to see all of you at a match sometime in the future!

Sorry to say, but don't do it much more or you'll be HOOKED. :cheers:

Glad you enjoyed it. It'll be fun and HIGHLY frustrating at the same time until you quit comparing revo shooting to auto shooting (stage breakdown wise). :wacko:

Now go get Bob (SWiowagean) make Doug Carden lay down those bottom feeders and go have fun. Oh and Carmoney says he is too busy to shoot now so just forget about him, He's a has been anyway!!! :goof::roflol::roflol:

Hop

I finally did it. With the help of Mr. Perdue and Ranch Products I was all geared up for my first USPSA match shot with a revo yesterday (PS checks are in the mail ;). Thanks for your great products!). What a good time! I've shot steel and IDPA matches with my 625 but never *really* got into it until a couple weeks ago. A week ago I decided I'm going to shoot revo almost exclusively for the next year... and after Sunday's USPSA match I'm very glad I did!

I've never had to analyze stages like that before and it was certainly an interesting experience. Nothing like "limited 6" to really have you make those shots count. Although, I did some figuring and I ended up with 96.66% of total available points... Maybe I need to shoot faster? Towards the end of the match I was approaching stages differently and really getting into it. I certainly know one thing I really, REALLY need to work on are reloads, because shooting a wheel gun you're reloading constantly. I'm struggling hard to get reloads consistently around 3 seconds. I had the cylinder actually close back up on me during movement a couple times :closedeyes:... That needs to be fixed. Practice, practice, practice!

All in all, I'm extremely happy with my decision to focus on revolver. It's fun, I'm sure it's going to significantly help with my autoloader shooting down the road, and best of all... I got all of my brass back!!! :roflol: Hope to see all of you at a match sometime in the future!

Quick and dirty advice on reloads: Practice your ejection movement A LOT. You want that to be automatic without looking. Then the trick is to get the other hand off of the gun as quickly as possible, and WATCH the hand go to the moon and drop it in. You shouldn't be looking at the gun at all during the process. There's also a few tenths to be found in getting your grip back on the gun, examine your motion for any waste.

H.

I am currently juggling between both reloads. I did it Miculek style (gun leaves strong hand) since I had my 625, but seeing the weak hand style (described by MI. Shootist) in action will sell it. I'm beginning to like it better.

Practice your ejection movement A LOT.

H.

Where is Cliff when you need him! :surprise:

Dave

Quiet, you.

Also you could try the Griffin-style reload. At least, I'm the only person I've seen who does it the way I do it, where the right hand stays on the gun, the thumb goes OVER the topstrap, and the index finger ejects. I'm able to keep the gun higher during the reload, but I have yet to determine if it is really a better method. My average reload is around 2.4, and I can get them down to 2.0 occasionally.

H.

Practice your ejection movement A LOT.

H.

Where is Cliff when you need him! :surprise:

Dave

Quiet, you.

Also you could try the Griffin-style reload. At least, I'm the only person I've seen who does it the way I do it, where the right hand stays on the gun, the thumb goes OVER the topstrap, and the index finger ejects. I'm able to keep the gun higher during the reload, but I have yet to determine if it is really a better method. My average reload is around 2.4, and I can get them down to 2.0 occasionally.

H.

:roflol:

Nothing but Weisenheimers around here . . . grumble grumble.

That being said, the ICORE match really impressed me on Sunday. Lots of rounds and we kept it moving. Now I gotta go practice my ejection.

H.

p.s. Jerry's bullets worked well, you don't know if he has any .40 round nose molds, do you?

Edited by Houngan

Nothing but Weisenheimers around here . . . grumble grumble.

That being said, the ICORE match really impressed me on Sunday. Lots of rounds and we kept it moving. Now I gotta go practice my ejection.

H.

p.s. Jerry's bullets worked well, you don't know if he has any .40 round nose molds, do you?

His list has RNFP in .40. I don't know if he has true round nose. As him at the next Silver Creek.

Dave

Sorry to say, but don't do it much more or you'll be HOOKED. :cheers:

Glad you enjoyed it. It'll be fun and HIGHLY frustrating at the same time until you quit comparing revo shooting to auto shooting (stage breakdown wise). :wacko:

Now go get Bob (SWiowagean) make Doug Carden lay down those bottom feeders and go have fun. Oh and Carmoney says he is too busy to shoot now so just forget about him, He's a has been anyway!!! :goof::roflol::roflol:

Hop

Oh it's too late already, I'm beyond hopelessly hooked at this point. In time I'm sure I'll be able to look at a stage and not be thinking 10+1 but it's certainly going to take awhile.

I've only had the pleasure of shooting with Doug a couple of times and he was running autoloaders... from another thread it sounds like he's getting started with roundguns again though! Bob's going to have a bit more competition around here now :P. Carmoney still finds time to shoot but he was running an XD... I can't get him talked back into Glocks, if you could ever imagine that.

Or------- Learn to reload with your weak hand and the strong hand never leaves the shooting grip.

Do that and you can use your trigger finger to hold the cylinder open when you're "on the move".... then your goal will become consistant sub 2 second reloads

I currently use a weak hand reload because I'm so used to going for the left side of my belt from shooting autos. I've practiced strong hand reloads for the "oh shit/just in case" reload and it just does not feel comfortable. I don't feel like I have good control over the gun. I haven't dropped it yet, but I don't like doing it during live fire for that reason. I'll stick to the weak hand reload for now.

I'll take a short vid of my rather poor reload technique for you good guys to analyze sometime tonight.

Hey, now's a good time to get hooked, Carmoney's in his "off-season", so your only competition is me. It's a good confidence-builder to win some matches!

Try not to run out of ammo next time... unshot targets don't do much for your score :P

:cheers:

You shooting steel tomorrow?

OK, I timed my very first COLD reload tonight and came in under 3 seconds par time dryfire to dryfire on a timer. That was encouraging! Then I proceeded to reload like crap for a bit, then brought the camera out.

See anything blatant that needs fixin?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7knl7j_dO0E

Edited by needknees

Needknees and 'Pops, I've been sneaking a peek at your wheelgunning, and it looks like you guys are both doing very well, and having fun doing it! :)

Nice job on Sunday--I'll catch up with you again in the spring (maybe even a little sooner). Let's hit some big matches next year with the revos.

OK, I timed my very first COLD reload tonight and came in under 3 seconds par time dryfire to dryfire on a timer. That was encouraging! Then I proceeded to reload like crap for a bit, then brought the camera out.

Ummmm, you may have an extra chromosome...

HAHAHAHA that was linked in the related videos to mine, I had to see what the hell it was and ended up copying the wrong link :surprise:

right link

HAHAHAHA that was linked in the related videos to mine, I had to see what the hell it was and ended up copying the wrong link :surprise:

right link

Are you sure? Just kidding :roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol:

That doesn't suck a bit. My only suggestion would be combine actions per movement. I see open, eject, move hands down, reload, close, bring hands up. Ideally, soon as the shot breaks my hands are moving toward my belt doing what needs to be done along the way in one movement. Then loading-closing-gripping on the way up and push out. Here's my contribution to the youtubeverse.

/www.youtube.com/watch?v=leAvwpy7hnw