Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass

Mo Zee

Hi Guys,

My gun is currently set up to use 38 supercomp brass from starline. I need to get some new brass and I would like to change to armscor rimless. The rimless brass I assume is the same as the supercomp from starline, please correct me if I am wrong ;) . Secondly, would I need to change anything on the gun (I was thinking I might have to retune the extractor again) :o . I am using an aftec, which has about 2000 rounds through it :D ....

And thirdly are there any problems with the armscor brass that I need to know about or are they just as good as the starline brass :unsure: .

Thanx

M

Your aftec will work fine, I have a super comp gun and can use armscor and starline interchangeably.

Starline is better and will last til the primers fall out. I'm using armscor for lost brass matches and Starline for recovered brass matches and practice.

I have had two armscor cases split on their second loading, and one split out of the gun. I have never had a starline case split.

I had some reliability issues thge first time I loaded armscor, adjusted the crimp and all is well now. The armscor was a hair longer than my older starline cases.

Want to save a little? Armscor

Want the BEST, no compromises? Starline

SA

This may not be pertinent to the 9xXX brass, but I use a lot of Armscor loaded .45ACP ammo. I usually get at least one or two rounds per box of 50 whose rims are enormously oversized and another 2-3 that barely fit into a case gauge. So their new .45 brass leave a bit to be desired in terms of external dimension QA/QC.

One thing to be aware of; The Armscor guys were at the STI-American Handgunner match last week and said there was no difference in headstamp between their rimmed and rimless Super-- eek. Make sure you mark 'em somehow if there's a chance of some rimmed getting mixed in.

I have been using TJ for the past year, and just purchased 3K of the armscor to try.... Am on my first loading so don't have any experience yet. Thanks for the tip Steve on reliability issue.

Thanx for reponse guys, but if you find out anything new please let me know. I am not ina very big hurry to order them right now. Like you said Steve armscor is cheap :mellow: and the other reason i am considering buying it is that I am in South Africa, and I still have not come across a company in USA that will ship starline abroad...

If you know of a company please holla.. :D

Cheers

Ditto on what Steve A.'s post said about Armscor 38 Rimless brass.

Ran into them at 3-Gun Nationals and told of the problems with cases splitting on the first loading. Even spoke with the main guy. They were surprised and promised to send some more to try again and took my information and said they would get right on it.

That was June 30th and I'm still waiting.

My experience has been really good. My wifes open gun has only shot Armscor AP 38 super rimless. I have about 5 to 7 reloads on some of the brass and it still is going strong. I plan on buying another 6000 this month. Several of the top open guys in our club shot AP brass. Hope this helps.

From what I have noticed from the few that have wound up in my brass bag is that the AP rimless has a slightly larger rim than the Starline supercomp. As far as the durabilty of the AP, I have heard from the other guys I shoot with, if you shoot 115 gr bullets dont expect more than 1 or 2 uses out of it. With 124s you can get about 5 or so before they start to split