Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which M1A ?

rvb

I searched but all could find was M1A vs [brand x] or scout vs socom vs full length...

I'm planning to pick up a new Springfield M1A sometime soon.

I will shoot some 3-gun with it (just 2-3 times per year though, I don't shoot 3-gun too often).

Slight possibility will see some high-power use, but not seriously, just for fun.

So I know I want a full-sized rifle. I know I plan to shoot irons. Leaning towards a stainless barrel.

So do I go with a std grade gun? Loaded? NM? SM? Most importantly... why?

Leaning towards a 'loaded' model for the better trigger and NM [non-hooded] sights. Is the upgrade to NM or SM worth it for the accuracy?

Is there a different level of maintenance between the difference models? I want a gun that's going to RUN for years....

Planning on the walnut stock. Any reason that is 'wrong?'

Thanks for helping an M1A newbie out!!

-rvb

I bought a loaded walnut fullsize last year. My first test loads did not fair well in the accuracy department, but Wednesday I used a 168gr Hornady hp load and the gun has come alive. I have fallen in love with shooting this gun now. My only concern is that it weighs a ton for three-gun..

The Super match has features I don't think you will use in 3 gun. A NM is a great rifle but over priced...the Loaded is new to me but sounds like it might have the features you want...the rifles are heavy but well made and most will really shoot when fed what they like...

Have an old SM that will shoot a bug hole group loaded with 168gr Match Kings and the proper amount of 4064...only sent it back once after the trigger went full auto at a match, been good since then....

p693372735-4.jpg

I ran "rack grade" rifles for three years.

This year I wanted a boost in accuracy. The above rifle (SA National Match NA9102) filled that bill very nicely.

Dale Raider of Springfield Armory knows his way around the M-14. This one, runs and handles very well.

It is not a problem dealing with the #1.2 of increased weight.

The "repeatable" accuracy more than makes up for it!

To improve it's 3 gun ability (my comfort) I added a recoil pad, cheek piece and a muzzle brake.

Patrick

I shot a Scout Squad for 6 years now. I have found that it needs a new barrel.

SO,

I will be putting a Medium weight Match 18 inch back on it and do a few other things to accurize it so it shoots a 1 moa.

IF I had to shoot a full length M1a I'd likely go with either a Loaded or like Trapper said.............Find a "roughed up" one and tinker as needed.

HOP

p693372735-4.jpg

I ran "rack grade" rifles for three years.

This year I wanted a boost in accuracy. The above rifle (SA National Match NA9102) filled that bill very nicely.

Dale Raider of Springfield Armory knows his way around the M-14. This one, runs and handles very well.

It is not a problem dealing with the #1.2 of increased weight.

The "repeatable" accuracy more than makes up for it!

To improve it's 3 gun ability (my comfort) I added a recoil pad, cheek piece and a muzzle brake.

Patrick

Beautiful rifle :cheers:

I bought a loaded walnut fullsize last year. My first test loads did not fair well in the accuracy department, but Wednesday I used a 168gr Hornady hp load and the gun has come alive. I have fallen in love with shooting this gun now. My only concern is that it weighs a ton for three-gun..

+1. Springer M1A Loaded with the black fiberglass stock. Fed it 168gr Hornady A-max and it was capable of phenominal accuracy. Get one and don't look back.

I'd see what the price difference is between a Loaded and a standard rack grade. If you go with a rack grade, and the barrel is a military barrel, have the throat erosion checked. Either one, I'd suggest a proper bedding job done on it and trigger job. If you like pistol grip stocks, find an E2 stock. McMillan makes a fiberglass one, military E2's were made of birch, but may be difficult to find.

Well, thanks guys... I think I'm still just as confused. :P But some good info there to help me decide. I guess it'll just come down to how fat my wallet is feeling when I go to order it. I think I'm still leaning towards a loaded model.

For now I'm not looking for a project gun. I can see me building one down the road but I have too many other guns I'm in the middle of building or have plans to build.. a new baby doesn't leave much time for yet another so for this gun I'm looking to buy new.

Patrick, beautiful rifle you have there!

take care,

-rvb

• 5 weeks later...

well, I just placed the order for my rifle. I got excited in the heat of the moment and ordered a NM model. Ok, not really, I thought about it for a few days after getting prices and decided it was what I really wanted (and the great price I got made the decision even easier!). Plus since I had the boss lady's permission to go for the pricey gun I decided now was the time... it's easier to justify a cheaper gun later than to justify a more expensive model when boss lady says "but you already have one of those." :roflol:

I'm pretty stoked. I've been wanting one of these for a LONG time.

now off to browse Dillon's website :cheers: I gotta feed this beast!

-rvb