Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New gun - .45 ACP open gun

MustangGreg66

Well, I ended up trading a 1911 I had collecting dust for a tripp open gun in .45 Dunno why I bought it, mostly for coolness factor and now I've heard of a bowling pin/steel shoot that goes on around here. I havn't been yet, and I don't even have the gun yet (stupid waiting period) BUT my mind has been swarming with loads. I've usd the search function and come up with quite a bit, but am honestly lost amongst all the data. So I've got two questions: bullet and powder choice

So I've heard that lead or even Moly bullets can gunk up the comp real quick, but a lot of people I read were shooting something like 155 gr lead bullets for pins. I think my dad said something also about only being able to shoot pins with lead bullets, something about them not splitting, but he doesn't shoot at the place, so I'd rather wait and hear it from them. The consensus I've read is that lighter bullets are best to run the comp. I've got a ton of 200gr Rainier plated, would those work. I have found some 185s would those be better or should I try to find lighter yet? Would plated show some of the same problems as lead? Would be hold up to the faster speeds I'm going to want to push them at without fouling?

The really hard question is which powder to go with. I usually buy from the range so I don't have to pay hazmat fees and the such, and I'm not sure what they can get, but they have a huge list. I've heard people recommend HS-6, WSF, WSL, 231, and unique to run the comp. I'm not sure what to pick there. Are there any that work better than others burn cleaner? I've got a bunch of powders at home, but non listed. I've got Bullseye, bluedot, tightgroup, clays, universal clays and H110 as far as pistol powders go, would any of these run the comp well? I've got the most of Clays and Tightgroup so I'd prefer to use those, but from what I've read they aren't ideal to run the comp.

I know really I'd have to test in my gun to see for sure, but I'm trying to get some direction to start in.

The guy I bought the gun from on another forum told me that a San Lorenzo Range does what they call a "Steel shoot" So I'm not sure if they use bowling pins or not. I've shot pins just outside of Fallon, NV although not in a match, lots of fun thou, so yea I'm going to eventually go check out San Lorenzo and see what they're doin. Here's a link to their site.

http://slrange.tripod.com/id13.html

Keep life simple. Go with as light a bullet as you can and crank up the velocity. It'll work the comp better. For steel, just drop the charge down a bit (to say 130-135 PF) and you're done. You don't want a dusty bunny fart load anyways.

For pins, crank the loads back up again and use FMJ's!

Rich

A .45 Open pin gun isn't your usual Open gun and has to be fed differently. To work the comp tradition says fast light bullets but for pins you need a heavy bullet to carry the pins or you will be making a LOT of make up shots on the pins you lay over.

I run a 200 grain flat point or hollow point over 8.2 grains of Longshot and it carrys the pins quite nicely. My gun is set up with a Clark barrel and two chamber comp and I am running a 13 pound spring.

Joe W.

If memory serves me right I had two loads for the SA factory comp gun in 45 ACP..

For plates, 200gr lsw with 4.Gr Bullseye..

For pins,225gr lfn or 230gr lrn with 5.0gr Bullseye..

I enjoyed that gun so much that I put a a similar barrel in a Colt so I didn't have to change springs

when shooting pins or plates..Any excuse for another gun you know.. That was back in the early 90's

and I still have them both..Don't shoot them much anymore,now it seems as though the 9mm is used

more..Just a bit cheaper to shoot altho the 38 super gets some time every now and again..

Nothing hot anymore just pleasant mild loadings like a 147gr lrn with 3.5 gr bullseye in the super..

I ran an open .45 way back when .38 super just started taking over. I ran a 3 chamber comp of my own design. With 200 gr cast bullets I had a lot of lead build up in the comp. It was less with 185s and even less with 175s. The 155s worked so well people thought I had a Super. No lead build up and very flat comp. I forget which powder but was by Accurate Arms. I ran what ever used the most powder, thinking this would make the most gas to work the comp.

Thanks for the input guys, I get to go pick up my gun tomorrow :D now I've just gotta make a decision, make up some loads and see what works.

SharonAnne9x23 - your comments have me wanting to try some 155gr lead, it's gotta be cheaper than 230gr RN Jacketed. I'll have to try some of the Rainier 200Gr plated I have as well. Any suggestions for where to buy the lead 155gr 45 bullets?

Thanks for the input guys, I get to go pick up my gun tomorrow :D now I've just gotta make a decision, make up some loads and see what works.

SharonAnne9x23 - your comments have me wanting to try some 155gr lead, it's gotta be cheaper than 230gr RN Jacketed. I'll have to try some of the Rainier 200Gr plated I have as well. Any suggestions for where to buy the lead 155gr 45 bullets?

I think Bear Creek of California carries 155's in .45.

Thanks guys. Well I pickedup my gun the other day, but I've been working a lot so I havn't had a chance to get out to the range yet. I tore the gun apart for cleaning and noticed a lot of build up in the comp, probably lead as nothing I had seemed to clean it out.

The plan so far is to load up what I've got tmr morning and head to the range to try it out :)

Minor Thread Drift: Should I be worried about the lead build up in the comp? It's nothing close to blocking the ports, but it's there. Any good way to clean out lead that would be gnetle on the normal steel barrel? I did a search and found some people using a vinegar/peroxide mix to clean the lead out.... but bad results with leaving it in the barrel very long... I think I could be careful and just left it work for like 10 minutes... but don't know if I really wanna risk it... What cleans the heck outa lead?

Thanks guys. Well I pickedup my gun the other day, but I've been working a lot so I havn't had a chance to get out to the range yet. I tore the gun apart for cleaning and noticed a lot of build up in the comp, probably lead as nothing I had seemed to clean it out.

The plan so far is to load up what I've got tmr morning and head to the range to try it out :)

Minor Thread Drift: Should I be worried about the lead build up in the comp? It's nothing close to blocking the ports, but it's there. Any good way to clean out lead that would be gnetle on the normal steel barrel? I did a search and found some people using a vinegar/peroxide mix to clean the lead out.... but bad results with leaving it in the barrel very long... I think I could be careful and just left it work for like 10 minutes... but don't know if I really wanna risk it... What cleans the heck outa lead?

I cleaned the lead out of my 38 super comp using my homemade version of Outer's Foul Out system.

well I shot my gun this weekend with my normal reloads, a litte lightned tho, 5.1gr of tightgroup over a 200gr rainer plated bullet. I could definitly tell the diffrence between this gun and my kimber, either the comp is working or te extra weight is helping.

I bought a pound of HS-6 since the hodgdon site shows it uses the most powder in 45, upto 9grains! or something like that, so I'll have some fun playing with that, and I've got a pound of bullseye to try also.

I should really try to find a pic to post on here of the gun... just for your viewing pleasure... another thing to do here haha

well I shot my gun this weekend with my normal reloads, a litte lightned tho, 5.1gr of tightgroup over a 200gr rainer plated bullet. I could definitly tell the diffrence between this gun and my kimber, either the comp is working or te extra weight is helping.

I bought a pound of HS-6 since the hodgdon site shows it uses the most powder in 45, upto 9grains! or something like that, so I'll have some fun playing with that, and I've got a pound of bullseye to try also.

I should really try to find a pic to post on here of the gun... just for your viewing pleasure... another thing to do here haha

If you had a copy of Midway's Loadmap then they are listing 10.7 of HS6 at 19,800 with their 200gr FP which is Rainier's Plated bullet or you could go to 12.4 of Accurate #7 at 19,900. Those are all CUP at 1.275 OAL. Please start low and work up.