Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Tac-S "Gun Blog .45"

Don Gwinn

I have this pistol at my FFL waiting to be picked up. Para-USA sponsored several gun bloggers to travel to Blackwater and take a weekend course from Todd Jarrett with these guns, and we all opted to purchase them in the end. Currently, I shoot a SIG P220 in Production, but I'd like to start running the "Gun Blog .45" with 10-round magazines. Will that leave me in Production, or step me up to Limited 10 or Single Stack or something? I've heard of a list of kosher guns for Production, but I looked at the USPSA rule book and didn't find a list. There were objective criteria which I believe this gun meets.

The Tac-S has the LDA trigger, so it's not single action. It's a standard model. The "Gun Blog .45" pistols are just the Tac-S model with a fiber-optic front, adjustable rear set of sights added, plus the cosmetic marking on the slide. It's Commander-sized, so I can't imagine it won't fit in the box. The rule book says that replacing sights is legal in Production.

I don't mind shooting in the appropriate section, and if that's L10 or something, I'll gladly do it, but I don't want to be submitting scores in Production and find out that I've been messing up all my matches by shooting an illegal gun.

post-15771-1222315490_thumb.jpg

All Para's on the list.

LDA P12 45 (34 oz.), LDA P14 (40 oz.), LDA P16 40 (40 oz.), PXT CARRY 9 (24 oz.), PXT CARRY GAP 45 (29 oz.), PXT CARRY-12 45 (34 oz.), PXT CARRY45 (30 oz.), PXT CCO 45 (32 oz.), PXT CCO-GAP 45 (31 oz.), PXT CCW 45 (34 oz.), PXT COMPANION 45 (32 oz.), PXT LDA HI-CAP 45 (40 oz.), PXT LDA NITE-TAC 45 (40 oz.), PXT LDA SSP 45 (39 oz.), PXT PDA 45 (24 oz.), PXT PDA 9 (24 oz.), PXT TAC FOUR 45 (36 oz.), PXT TAC-S 45 (35 oz.)

(other variants with enlarged magwells) not allowed

Aha! Thanks for the list.

The lasergrips have an on/off switch in addition to the momentary button--would there be a problem just leaving 'em switched off? I knew I couldn't use them, but I hoped they could be there as long as I don't switch them on. I intend to carry this gun daily, and Jarrett convinced me that I want to use the laser in training.

I don't think anyone at my local club would care at all as long as there's no actual laser beam being projected (pew! pew!) but I don't want to skirt the rules.

Besides, if I had the grips and couldn't put them on the Tac-S, I'd be forced to buy another 1911 to put them on.

• 2 weeks later...

5.1.3.2 states that devices fitted to the gun make the classification, not whether they are turned on. I would bet that at a level 1 match it would not be a big deal, but at anything else, it would be an open gun. The rules are the rules :mellow:

edited to add: cool gun!! ditch the laser grips and shoot in Lim10 major or download some 185gr rounds and go to Production.

Edited by photog

• 7 months later...

Hey Don!

I would shoot it in L-10. There you would find shooters that are using 1911 platforms with 10 round skinny mags. You would be on even ground competitively. If you shoot it in production, you can't add on a mag to make mag changes easier. Those single stack mags are not as easy (fast) as a double stack mag. Which is what you'll face in production.

• 8 months later...