Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2009 Blue Ridge Mountain 3-Gun -- April 24-26, Park City, KY

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some other questions I had was, what is the furthest distance rifle target? what is the size of those targets?, will they be painted for each squad?

Trapr

Trapr,

Last year we didn't paint due to the distance and time constraints. It would have required a 4 wheeler and 30 to 40 minutes between squads to paint. I ran the long range stage and it wasn't necessary as all of the targets (12" flashers) had bright yellow board behind them.

Don't know about longest distance this year. Last year was 426 yards.

Trapr and Neal,

All the comps mentioned here are OK. We won't be measuring anything that close!

Heavy Metal mags -- well a quick survey of current match rules: 20 round max capacity = FB3G, DPMS, R&R, FNH, BRM3G; only 20 rounds loaded = SMM3G, RM3G. At this point, the BRM3G rules state a 20 round capacity, and we will stick to that.

Heavy Metal will require two hits on all paper pistol and rifle targets.

Rifle long range targets will probably be in the 100-350 yard range, primarily on 10" MGM flashers and the occasional autopopper at shorter ranges. There may be a 500 yard shot on an IDPA/USPSA sized steel target.

Targets will not be painted between squads. All rifle targets will be painted dark gray before the match (kind of matches bullet impacts!) and will have a yellow backer behind them. Mike's point of time needed is no exageration, and this method proved to work very well last year.

I hope this helps clear things up.

Andy

Actually Andy, I've spoken with the MD of DPMS, FN, and FB3G, and they have all allowed longer mags, just with 20 rounds loaded into them, this is why I asked the question, the terminology tends to be vague, and open to interpretation.

So do I read correctly "NO mags that can hold more than 20 rds. allowed at BRM3G" for HM?

thanks Trapr

I CANNOT wait. This will be my first big 3 Gun competition. I hope I don't panic and do something stupid and DQ the first day. :huh:

I can identify with you- I felt the same way last year (2008) when I did the USPSA Area 6 3-gun and then the Ft. Benning 3-gun challenge, my first two "BIG" matches. I was NOT dq'd from either, I think partly due to the very good advice I received from some more experienced buddies:

watch your muzzle,

your trigger finger,

make SURE you abandon guns SAFED. (and make sure you know what that is exactly for the given match)

and if you aren't sure about something, ask.

Good luck DMAC, see you there!

Trapr,

I am primarily interested in keeping things as consistant as possible (and with HM that is a task in itself!), so I will go with the "only 20 rounds LOADED" in a 20 rd or longer magazine. I will change the written rules to comply in the future. I had not talked to anyone, but since you have, thanks for doing the leg work.

Andy

Absolutely correct Neal!!! However (and I meant to answer this in the above post but forgot), the slug targets you will be shooting at will be no more than 100 yards away. Most will in the 30-80 yard range.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

After talking to Andy this weekend at the High Plains I am now winding things up to get ready for this match, diet and exercise, not shooting, I just want to survive

And the sponsors all ROCK!!!!!

jc

Rob,

There are still some slots left and we can fit you in.

Andy

Thanks Andy, it will go out tomorrow. Sorry for taking so long.

Rob

Are you gonna use IPSC targets like they did at FB3G? I liked the scoring system better with targets everyone is familiar with.

Rob,

There are still some slots left and we can fit you in.

Andy

Thanks Andy, it will go out tomorrow. Sorry for taking so long.

Rob

Are you gonna use IPSC targets like they did at FB3G? I liked the scoring system better with targets everyone is familiar with.

Rob,

Welcome to the forum!

Andy is the "inventor" of the Horner Scoring Method, so yes, I would expect him to use it at Blue Ridge! :roflol:

AMU "borrowed" it for Ft Benning... :roflol:

jj

It looks like I snagged an extra room if anyone here wants it. PM me and I'll call them tomorrow. The rooms have two beds.

Otherwise I'll just tell them to release the extra room to the huddled masses.

Joel

Chris,

I may post the squadding list at a later date. Most of it is completed, but I know of a few more applications that are heading in. If I get it on the website, I will post the link here.

Andy