Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited holster, CR Speed?

bobobooie

I copied this from Grauffels web-site. I do not own a CR Speed holster and have no idea what this means.

Is this doable? Is it necessary? I am on the verge of buying a holster for my new Limited and like the supported muzzle design. I have searched here and on others forums, and while I have found a lot of info about holsters and preferences, the info does not discuss set-up. I even looked for a photo "how to" on this info to better help me visualize what I may be getting into. Has anyone done this mod and can you shed some light on it? Like CR Speed Set-Up for Dummies. I thought I'd ask before I pluck down the money.

thanks so much

Paul

[i]How do I get my CR Speed holster to fit the L.C.?

A. the problem is that the trigger retention bar, does not have the right lengths to match the Tanfoglio Frame and trigger. You need to take the "D" marked trigger bar and then drop it down towards the barrel end, about 1/4 of an inch.

The best way to do this is to extend the channel the bar sits in, about 1/4 lower using a knife/chisel Once that is done, you need to drill a second hole so that the existing screw has a place to secure the bar into the holster. CAREFUL.. this is a tricky procedure, and I had to play with mine a lot to get it to work properly[/i]

I copied this from Grauffels web-site. I do not own a CR Speed holster and have no idea what this means.

Is this doable? Is it necessary? I am on the verge of buying a holster for my new Limited and like the supported muzzle design. I have searched here and on others forums, and while I have found a lot of info about holsters and preferences, the info does not discuss set-up. I even looked for a photo "how to" on this info to better help me visualize what I may be getting into. Has anyone done this mod and can you shed some light on it? Like CR Speed Set-Up for Dummies. I thought I'd ask before I pluck down the money.

thanks so much

Paul

[i]How do I get my CR Speed holster to fit the L.C.?

A. the problem is that the trigger retention bar, does not have the right lengths to match the Tanfoglio Frame and trigger. You need to take the "D" marked trigger bar and then drop it down towards the barrel end, about 1/4 of an inch.

The best way to do this is to extend the channel the bar sits in, about 1/4 lower using a knife/chisel Once that is done, you need to drill a second hole so that the existing screw has a place to secure the bar into the holster. CAREFUL.. this is a tricky procedure, and I had to play with mine a lot to get it to work properly[/i]

The CR holster works best with this mod done. Without it there is no way to lock the gun in the rig so that it won't inadvertently lift off the muzzle peg. This mod also takes most of the slop (pretty much all actually) out of the gun when it's locked in the holster, and this feels a lot more dialed in to me...and safer. Eric's description covers it, and here are some photos to support.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee1/rel...os/100_0364.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee1/rel...os/100_0363.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee1/rel...os/100_0362.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee1/rel...os/100_0365.jpg

I am using a Ghost,...works fine. A have a Bladetech. That is good too. I tried the CRSpeed,...but unless I cut it,..i did not have a good time with it.

What I really like is the Speedsec....Even locked with the long lever,..it is very fast on the draw.

I am using a Ghost,...works fine. A have a Bladetech. That is good too. I tried the CRSpeed,...but unless I cut it,..i did not have a good time with it.

What I really like is the Speedsec....Even locked with the long lever,..it is very fast on the draw.

I tried the CR Speed and didn't like it either even after doing the cut so now use both the Ghost and the Speedsec. Both are very good, fast and secure.

I tried the CR Speed and didn't like it either even after doing the cut so now use both the Ghost and the Speedsec. Both are very good, fast and secure.

there is a part on my Ghost that appears to be wearing out...the plastic piece that keeps the pistol in with the aid of the ball....Twice last weekend I had the pistol rotate loose,..and point barrel forward. It stayed in the holster,..but I had to go the safe area to correct it. I was wearing a rain coat at the time.

Just to drift this a little further I just ordered a Speedsec. My Open guns have a lot of movement in a Ghost when locked. Never came out but not exactly confidence inspiring as I run around when I RO.

I hate to say it,...but I agree,....I love the quality of the Ghost,...but my Speedsec for my USP and Edge worked 100%.....I had confidence when it was locked,.....IT WAS LOCKED.

I would have got a Speedsec for my Stock2 and LC,..but they were not in country at the time. Still don''t know if they are available in country.

I was using a CRSpeed WSMII, borrowed from a friend, and did not do any mods to it. Just adjusted it as best as possible. I had the gun fall out once, right into the pumice/sand at the range. Luckily not loaded and not during a match, but I had to transport it back home without racking the slide to check if it was empty. I really can't recommend the CR Speed after that incident, and am currently looking for another holster.

I was using a CRSpeed WSMII, borrowed from a friend, and did not do any mods to it. Just adjusted it as best as possible. I had the gun fall out once, right into the pumice/sand at the range. Luckily not loaded and not during a match, but I had to transport it back home without racking the slide to check if it was empty. I really can't recommend the CR Speed after that incident, and am currently looking for another holster.

Thanks for that information. I must admit I'm shying away from the CR Speed for this particulat handgun. Let me know what you decide on,

And to all the responses, thank you very much. I am very appreciative of the advice and the experiences.

Paul

I will be using my Bladetech for a while,..as my Ghost hanger broke....I broke it as it the pistol became stuck for the 4th time in a row.,...i had to unscrew the plate each time to get at the clip inside. It was not on lock mode, and in a moment of fustration,..and ripped the SOB hanger clean in two. :unsure:

I found the Stock 2 draw from the bladetech to be very nice,..but the LC kinda flaps if I don't draw it in hard towards my side.....

I am going to try a Speedsec. I just like the idea of how simple the Speedsec is....it is either locked or not. I had good experience with it and my USP and Edge...never had a problem.

Uh yeah.... about the gun getting locked in.... I forgot about that. Had that happen a couple times as well. I got it unlocked by taking the locking mechanism off and pushing the the tab in with a screwdriver through the hole where the locking mechanism had been. To me it appeared that the holster let the triggerguard too far into the holster allowing the tab to get behind the leading edge of the trigger guard. Bad thing. Angus did take that one back and got me a new one and that problem hasn't resurfaced.

I'll post when the Speedsec comes in.

Mo, I'm with you on breaking the holster. One of the times mine locked was on stage 4 of a local match I was doing well at. I was shall we say less than pleased and only stopped trying to tear the gun free after I gave myself two massive Ghost wedgies.

I will be using my Bladetech for a while,..as my Ghost hanger broke....I broke it as it the pistol became stuck for the 4th time in a row.,...i had to unscrew the plate each time to get at the clip inside. It was not on lock mode, and in a moment of fustration,..and ripped the SOB hanger clean in two. :unsure:

I found the Stock 2 draw from the bladetech to be very nice,..but the LC kinda flaps if I don't draw it in hard towards my side.....

I am going to try a Speedsec. I just like the idea of how simple the Speedsec is....it is either locked or not. I had good experience with it and my USP and Edge...never had a problem.

Hey Mo:

I had a look at one of these this past weekend (http://www.2alphainc.com/sickinger.html) and it looked like a very solid rig. One of the Ontario guys had his LC in it, and there was no wiggle or movement at all. Nice thing is that it also has a muzzle peg, which helps keep everything stable; I've just never been a fan of holsters that don't post the muzzle. Personal preference, but I feel they are safer. I'd like to get my hooks on one of these to test out long-term, but this guy tells me he loves his and it sure seemed to work well for him. And Frank stocks them as well as the Speedsec.

For me though, the CR works great. I did the mod on it (takes about 15 minutes) and it has been 100% ever since. The mod is quite easy to do as well, so if anyone is unclear how to do it let me know and I'll fill you in.

WOW,...getting a very unexpected surprise in the mail...a brand new Ghost holster from the Canadian (Josko at Double Tap) distributor :surprise:

I told him my problem and what happened to the hanger,...and even after hearing that he is sending a new one. :surprise:

I am sending my damaged one back,..I would have been happy with a repaired one,....yanking the holster hard enough to break the hanger is my fault,..so I expected to have to pay shipping and repair cost.

Edited by Mo Hepworth

+1 On the speedsec. I started on this holster and have sucess on the fast draw. Then I switched over to CRspeed since Grauffel's class. I'm really slow on the draw on it now and really want to switch back to speed sec. How can I modify the speedsec for sti?I tried it but it is wobbly? If not, I'll just get the speedsec for Tanfoglio from Midway.

+1 On the speedsec. I started on this holster and have sucess on the fast draw. Then I switched over to CRspeed since Grauffel's class. I'm really slow on the draw on it now and really want to switch back to speed sec. How can I modify the speedsec for sti?I tried it but it is wobbly? If not, I'll just get the speedsec for Tanfoglio from Midway.

Most Speedsec holsters are firearm specific....unlike the CR speed,,...which you can use for different firearms.. I actually found I could use the Shadow and the Tanfoglio with the Ghost....odd but true.