Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ftf

tk4

I am having rare ftf in my 40 2011. The bullet will hit the feed ramp and stop. It does not happen very often, but it is always at the wrong time. It seems to happen when I am using mags with dawson followers, but not with standard sti followers. I never had this problem with my other 40. I am loading to an oal length of 1.185. I am wondering if I should try loading to a shorter oal. I can shoot several thousand rounds in practice and it will never happen, and then it will happen at a major match. Any suggestions?

Worn springs or followers... crude built up in the extractor tunnel.

I don't load much .40, but that seems to long to me... I think 1.140 or there abouts is long enough, but I have heard people loading to 1.170. Someone who knows more jump in....

JT

Edited by JThompson

Oh my God... I just had this exact same problem!

JThompson called it.

I solved it by removing the extractor and cleaning it. There was so much stuff on the extractor. It looked like little coal chunks. Had not cleaned it for 1045 rounds.

Learned my lesson.

If the round are stopping as they hit the feed ramp, they wouldn't have gotten to the extractor yet.

Do you have a shock buff in the gun?

I was just having this problem as well. I was experimenting with loading my rounds at a OAL of 1.21. They would just stop on the feed ramp. I took out the shock buff and the gun ran fine. I also tried another shock buff that I had that was thinner and the gun ran with that one too.

If the round are stopping as they hit the feed ramp, they wouldn't have gotten to the extractor yet.

I was just having this problem as well. I was experimenting with loading my rounds at a OAL of 1.21. They would just stop on the feed ramp. I took out the shock buff and the gun ran fine. I also tried another shock buff that I had that was thinner and the gun ran with that one too.

The rounds are stopping before they hit the extractor. This happened at the Il Sectional, and I had just removed and cleaned the extractor and tunnel(I always do this before any major match). I missed winning Limited by 8/10ths of a percent, 5 points. Probably about what the jam cost me. I had a shock buff in it previously, but decided it ran smoother without it. Maybe I should shorten my rounds a bit more to say about 1.17. That sounds a bit short to me for a 2011, but is it possible that my gun just prefers a shorter oal.

Bkeeler- One of my grip screws was a little loose. I just removed them and locketited them. Hopefully that was at least part of the problem. I see you are near St Louis, do you shoot at Arnold, or Benchrest?

You guys have been helpful. Any other thoughts? I want to get this thing running right before the MO Fall Classic.

The rounds are stopping before they hit the extractor. This happened at the Il Sectional, and I had just removed and cleaned the extractor and tunnel(I always do this before any major match). I missed winning Limited by 8/10ths of a percent, 5 points. Probably about what the jam cost me. I had a shock buff in it previously, but decided it ran smoother without it. Maybe I should shorten my rounds a bit more to say about 1.17. That sounds a bit short to me for a 2011, but is it possible that my gun just prefers a shorter oal.

Bkeeler- One of my grip screws was a little loose. I just removed them and locketited them. Hopefully that was at least part of the problem. I see you are near St Louis, do you shoot at Arnold, or Benchrest?

You guys have been helpful. Any other thoughts? I want to get this thing running right before the MO Fall Classic.

I shoot at Arnold and Benchrest And Pasa Park....

Your bro Tim kicked my @#$ at the Big Steel Match at Arnold back in May.

BK

Edited by bkeeler