Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio EAA Witness Gold Team Custom 9mm

cferree

The problem with large frame 9mm are the magazines. Tanfos are pretty picky about their ammo and due to the tapered case of the 9mm combined with the large frame mags nobody has been able to get a big stick to run in them. The 9mm small frames run fine. I understand Henning is working on a 9mm that uses small frame mags in the large frame pistol. Sounds very promising but no products on the market yet.

When I was considering the purchase of a Gold Team in 9mm, Henning advised me to forget the 9mm and buy the 38 super if I did not want problems. If you get that advise from him I would listen. I don't think anyone else has the knowledge he does when it comes to Tanfoglio gns.

When I was considering the purchase of a Gold Team in 9mm, Henning advised me to forget the 9mm and buy the 38 super if I did not want problems. If you get that advise from him I would listen. I don't think anyone else has the knowledge he does when it comes to Tanfoglio gns.

I have 3 in 38 super, they run perfect its hard to beat that. Almost never have reliability problems :) (knock on wood)

Best of luck to get 9mm working, but it seems to me the cost of shooting isn't brass as much and bullets and both take the same ones :)

Leo

Has anyone done a conversion kit from 38super to 9mm on a V12? then use the factory mags?
The problem is reliability of the mags in 9mm. I spoke to Henning 2 days ago and he is having some success with the small frame mags in the large frame guns but still has a few bugs to work out.

Has anyone done a conversion kit from 38super to 9mm on a V12? then use the factory mags?

I have 2 guns in .38 Supercomp and they are 100% reliable. I had a conversion for 9mm and couldn't get it to run reliably (nose diving). The season loomed large and I just didn't want to spend any more time messing with it, so I sold it to someone who wanted it for a .357 Sig conversion. If I was to try again, I would shim the mags to small frame dimension and go from there. I think it might work, but there are no guarantees and the time/money investment for the small potential gain in bras savings isn't worth it to me right now. 9mm will save you what, about two hundred bucks a season at lost brass matches? Zero-headache Reliability is worth that much money to me, and Supercomp is a proven format so I'd say stay with that.

Edit to note that if you can get a nice deal on the gun it would be no problem to ream it out to .38 Super. Would cost you much to do that.

Good luck

Edited by R.Elliott

I have 2 guns in .38 Supercomp and they are 100% reliable. I had a conversion for 9mm and couldn't get it to run reliably (nose diving). The season loomed large and I just didn't want to spend any more time messing with it, so I sold it to someone who wanted it for a .357 Sig conversion. If I was to try again, I would shim the mags to small frame dimension and go from there. I think it might work, but there are no guarantees and the time/money investment for the small potential gain in bras savings isn't worth it to me right now. 9mm will save you what, about two hundred bucks a season at lost brass matches? Zero-headache Reliability is worth that much money to me, and Supercomp is a proven format so I'd say stay with that.

Edit to note that if you can get a nice deal on the gun it would be no problem to ream it out to .38 Super. Would cost you much to do that.

Good luck

THANKS!!WE'LL KEEP IT IN MIND.

• 2 months later...

I actually have one in 9mm. firts ipsc match, frst stage DQ. Gun wouldn't chamber. nose diving and and jams. It was embarassing. I wana ream it to 38 super or just sell it and get a 38 super.

I ended up buying an older small frame Witness (P-9) that had been converted from 9x21 to 9x19. It will take some work to get mag capacity up to that of the STI/SV frame guns (27-29 max depending upon mag tube, follower and spring), but no mag feeding issues. The small frame guns fit my hand better than the big frame, so I'm happy.

Charles

Recently had a talk with the folks at EAA Armory.

I just received a bunch of .38 Super mags, .40 S&W mags and 9mm mags.

Obviously the .38 Super are for the large frame, while the 9mm and .40 S&W are for the small frame. Upon checking by loading these new 9mm mags it became obvious that the mags do have a "built in" (innate) problem from birth. Upon closer examination and measuring the specs between the .40 S&W mags and the 9mm I noticed that the vertical "crease" for the transition from double stack to single stack are identical in both calibers, the only difference was on lips width. The crease as manufactured works and is spec's correctly for .40S&W but too wide for 9mm. After altering the crease the cartridges no longer "nose dive".

EAA Armory is selling 170 mm +- magazines in both .38 Super and 9mm. They are pricey at a suggested retail of $110.00 but work well. Their big sticks (170's) in 9mm do not have the same problem as the standard 9mm mags. They seem to be made of a different tube, or should I say "tubes", as you vaguely see the very well done job of having welded two mags into one and them beautifully blending and bluing them. But for the money I'd just as well go to a gun show and buy the extra long "machine gun" mags for the CZ 75 and cut them down to 170. Have fun with it.

Obviously the .38 Super are for the large frame, while the 9mm and .40 S&W are for the small frame. Upon checking by loading these new 9mm mags it became obvious that the mags do have a "built in" (innate) problem from birth. Upon closer examination and measuring the specs between the .40 S&W mags and the 9mm I noticed that the vertical "crease" for the transition from double stack to single stack are identical in both calibers, the only difference was on lips width. The crease as manufactured works and is spec's correctly for .40S&W but too wide for 9mm. After altering the crease the cartridges no longer "nose dive".

EAA Armory is selling 170 mm +- magazines in both .38 Super and 9mm. They are pricey at a suggested retail of $110.00 but work well. Their big sticks (170's) in 9mm do not have the same problem as the standard 9mm mags. They seem to be made of a different tube, or should I say "tubes", as you vaguely see the very well done job of having welded two mags into one and them beautifully blending and bluing them. But for the money I'd just as well go to a gun show and buy the extra long "machine gun" mags for the CZ 75 and cut them down to 170. Have fun with it.

You have me interested Venry... I bought a 9mm some time ago with the intent of waiting for the fix. I have a mag from Leo I've been playing with, but haven't had a chance to play with it much.

Henning said Tanfo was coming out with a new mag that was supposed to run... I wonder if the 170mm is one of those?? I'd like to get one of each and see how well the run Venry. May be I could get one of the ones you moded and order a 170mm from EAA.

Henning... Any input on the Tanfo mags? Are the 170s of the new design>? Any time frame on the 140s?

Edited by JThompson

Here's a P9 I picked up in 9mm and its a small frame.

No hiccubs and works well. the with of these magazines

are way thinner than the large frame. Here are the specs:

LARGE FRAME: WIDTH 1.354

P9 EAA SMALL FRAME: 1.260

CAN NOT LOAD PICTURES??

Click here for photobucket:http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn18/airwolfipsc/

You have me interested Venry... I bought a 9mm some time ago with the intent of waiting for the fix. I have a mag from Leo I've been playing with, but haven't had a chance to play with it much.

Henning said Tanfo was coming out with a new mag that was supposed to run... I wonder if the 170mm is one of those?? I'd like to get one of each and see how well the run Venry. May be I could get one of the ones you moded and order a 170mm from EAA.

Henning... Any input on the Tanfo mags? Are the 170s of the new design>? Any time frame on the 140s?

JT the 9mm that EAA has is for the small frame. If you bought a V8 or V12 in 9mm, it will not

work. The only 170mm that EAA has in LARGE FRAME is in 38 super.