Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wow, what a great little match! Probably the best-decorated, best-looking stages I've ever encountered. Some very good stage designs, too. (Stage 3, "Crowded," and the barn stage were particularly good.) Extremely well-run, with good ROs. I shot eight stages from 8 AM to about 2:30 PM on Saturday. They had results as soon as we finished shooting and put our gear away.

Like I said before the match in another post...

I pity the fools at the Oregon Open!

I found my lost can of whoop-ass and took it with me north of the border. I shot seven stages dropping at most seven points on a stage. (No Doggies, Mikes, No-shoots, Procedurals, arbitrations, etc. One non-penalty Miss being aggressive on disappearing.) The last few stages I got a little spastic with extra shots, and on my last stage I thought I threw it all away with 9 Cs, a D, and a Miss. But I think I finished top three in all the stages and won one outright.

I got a feeling about this match when I saw the booklet... a couple stand-and-deliver stages, lots of partials, lots of steel, drop turners, only a couple swingers... it had my name all over it. I decided to shoot Open when I read they have shoot-offs for cash, by class, regardless of division. After practicing Thursday, I thought I could win it. I did it on sheer willpower. I willed my shooting to a higher level. Saturday I shot like it was forgone conclusion, and I was just observing. Totally relaxed, for six or seven stages at least.

The first two targets on the barn stage were hardcovered half-way down the A zone. During LAMR, they had me worried. I wanted the As and I wouldn't accept Cs, no matter how fast, but I didn't want one in the black. I finally quit worry and relaxed, called the shots, and left. Scoring targets, the RO said, "You're not going to like this" as he approached the partials and my heart sunk. Upon closer inspection, I had shot overlapping holes on the right target, for 3 A and 1 C on the pair.

I saw Trey, who I met at Area 1. I saw a bunch of other squaddies from A1 but I hardly recognized anybody without their parkas, hats, and gloves. I got to meet Loves2shoot, who won Limited 10, IIRC. Even better, I got to shoot against him in the first round of the shoot-offs.

The shoot-offs were interesting. We don't do that in California, and I haven't made top 16 in the Nationals, so I've never done it. Much to my chagrin, they had Pepper Poppers, relatively close, with custom hexagonal stop plates (about 10-12" across). So I really didn't need an Open gun, and I'd be losing time on the draw and reload target acquistions. My strategy was to bust out a fast draw, reload immediately after the first shot, finish up the remaining four poppers, and hammer the stop plate down.

Loves2shoot was my first match-up. I think he psyched himself out about going up against a foo-foo gun and he was out in two. Second overall in the match went down in the first round, too. I was pretty relaxed until after I realized I had advanced. I couldn't call my shots worth a damn, and twice I hit the stop plate with a popper up, defaulting. One of those runs, my competitor didn't get his stop plate, and unloaded and reholstered. Ain't no rule for that situation. Turned out another default for me. Same guy, we're 1-1, I nail the draw, reload, and the mag falls out. Luckily I had another on my belt, luckily it had enough in it, and I finished with a win.

My inability to call the shots on steel was eerily reminiscent of the Steel Challenge. I would never shoot steel this quickly in a field course. You can't go by what's standing because the first one is still falling when you finish the last one. The other weird thing was I was busting out 1-second or faster draws and unbelievable (for me) reloads. It was very distracting going so much faster than my usual pace.

Things really got interesting near the end of the ladder. Every run was a squeaker. One I only won because I hammered the stop plate down with three shots to fall under my opponent's. The final match-up was against one of the local GMs. I can't remember if we went to a third string. I remember I backed off my pace a bit and called the shots perfectly and just barely lost one of the runs, and decided backing off against a GM was not the right course of action. My inability to call shots at warp speed got the best of me, and I lost the shoot-offs, and took home the second-place cash.

California welcomed me back with a speeding ticket.

I'm going to DisneyLand!

Eric did whoop some ass! He beat 4 GM's (3 limited 1 coming out of a shooting break) in the process, not bad for an A class shooter B)

This is the first match in a while that I made no totally stupid mistakes, 1 wrong decision on a stage, no penalties, no mikes, a bit too slow. But with 8 stages I figured to keep it nice and easy. It was our season finale and my last L10 match for awhile (going back to open with my new foo-foo blaster) so I wanted to win every stage and have no penalties, and I did both in L10, and won my class against the Limited guys, 6th Limited overall.

I didn't see as much as I needed to, I need to work on that. Eric spanked me in the shoot-off, the 1st one was pretty close, but I hade to make-up the draw shot, and I was too pyched out. The second run I just pooched bad. But all in all it was a fun match and well run.

Next time, Eric we'll have to make the ports a bit higher for you :D

Congratulations to both of you! :)

I would have loved to seen you guys shoot but I was at a match about hundred miles North (Albany). In retrospect, it would probably been better for me to watch your shooting than for me to watch mine. :blink:

Ed

No Brian I wasn’t on your squad, but I heard about it! I was told that you took a MASSIVE painful header but kept your gun safe and pointed downrange, got up and finished the stage (which stage?). Everyone was amazed and VERY impressed. The story goes; that the only time you lost your cool (for just a little) was when you realized, in the confusion, you had run by a couple of poppers! :)

Your story definitely belongs in the “How to Fall With Style” thread! ;)

I hope you’re healing up fine.

Ed

Yeah...fine. Stage 6.

Eric....did you mention you took the match? My boy Doug told me today...he came in 3rd, first Lim. The guy behind you in second, Gene, he's mainly a steel shooter....nice to see him do so well in IPSC.

Time to get your ass up to M.... :P

Yeah there was some buzz about A and B shooters going 1-2. Gene (steel shooter?) got eliminated in the first round of shootoffs, IIRC. By a woman. From California. (It just gets worse and worse!)

TDean, I plan to do both Limited and Open, back to back.

ong45: Everything I know about avoiding an M card while winning matches with an A card, I learned by watching you. Remember, always there are two: master and apprentice. :)

BTW, all you guys bending over backward for short guns and light comps... The match winning gun is a short dust cover STI, standard slide (flat-topped but no lightening cuts), big-honking 5-chamber full-profile cone compensator, tungsten guide rod, sans buffer. Neener, neener, neener. :P

Monday through Friday it dangles from the end of a crane and demolishes brick buildings.

I have three unused scope mount holes on the right side of the frame. I'm thinking of screwing a piece of tungsten on there. That and one of Beven's magwells, and it's ready to take down reinforced concrete.