Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ior valdada 1.5x8x26

cd0306

I don't have any personal experience with this model. I have a 1.1-4 that I have had about 2 years that had something that looked like a black piece of thread develope in it three weeks ago. I called Cactus Tactical where I bought the scope and they referred me to IOR Factory Service in the US. I shipped the scope to them Priority mail overnight on a Monday and had it back repaired that Friday. Great people to do business with at Cactus and IOR.

I bought one for my Christmas present to me in Dec 2007,(Good price I thought, damn good price now), looking for a scope that would be a good compromise for up close and LONG shots. I think it is.

Pros,

Its damn nice to be able to see that plate at 300 yards + , and know that its a plate and not a dot, or blur, clarity is good, the horseshoe + dot requires some practise but I can double tap at 20yards, its about 0.5 sec slower for 3 targets at 20 yards for me, than a c-more mounted on a flat top, from port arms ,it seems to take me a little more time to find the dot, at first, the 1.5 magnification can screw with your mind, but once I get going it seems to be as quick, More practise would help, as with everything else about my shooting, the equipment is not the Major problem. Being a little slower up close is more than made up for me by being able to see the targets and hit them, at any distance, At mid range out to 100 yards or so it works as well as anything I've had, The variable adjustment is great, but it is a little stiff. I've not tested the distance hashmarks past 300 yards, yet, but they seem to work fine. With the rings it comes with , you can take it off and put it back on with out losing "0" . The elevation and windage adjustments work great, Repeatable.

Cons

The adjustment is a little stiff, a rat tail would help, the illumination is good at dusk but washs out in daylight, the dot is not as precise as a crosshair, but its not supposed to be, center dot is 1.5MOA at 100 at 8X, Center it on an 8in plate and watch it drop, its heavy at 1.75 lbs. Its set up for a 62 grain bullet,I shoot mostly 55's may make a difference at longer distances but I've not noticed yet.

I messed with that one and the 2-12, and ended up buying the 2-12. I have had two 1.1-4, and just don't like the heavy horseshoe and wanted something else. The M8 is very nice; I wish they would put it on the 1.5-8 scopes.

THe illumination on the IOR sucks during the day, but works fine at dusk or at night.

Nice clear glass, backed by good folks here in the US.

I still use a Meopta for my .223 Open and Tactical guns, though ;)

Alex

The adjustment is a little stiff,

The variable adjustment on Valdada scopes are stiff by design, they all come that way. What I have done with my scopes is to use a bit of silicone spray. I use the extension tube that comes with the spray can, spray it underneath the ring and then work the ring back and forth for a few moments. That allows the ring to move back and forth a bit easier. Just don't go crazy with the spray, a very little bit will work fine. Silicone spray spreads fast, so a 1 second burst should be sufficient.

I like the 1.5-8 personally, my older eyes like the benefit of 8 power at distances while still having a wide fov at low power. I still use a first generation 1.1 - 4 with the 4 moa horseshoe and 15 mil lines for my main scope, but have played around with this one quite a bit (2-3 moa horseshoe and 62 gr bdc). I shoot mainly IMGA and understand the concept of the horseshoe - dot combination when getting rounds on paper. It works very well if you can wrap your mind around it. The feedback over the years on the reticle is either that people love the concept of the horseshoe or it does not work for them (seems to be no middle ground).

• 3 weeks later...

Mike454,

How bad does the illumination wash out ? I love my Meopta but would like a bit more power on distance - is the illumination something to be worried about ? Will you have yours at Benning ?? :rolleyes:

Benelli2 - Jeffy is this what you used to run a year or so back ?

Edited by mike.45

Mike,

It's the same scope that Jeff was using. The illumination washes out somewhat in bright sunlight although it's still a lot better than the illumination on a Leupold. It doesn't bother me because I don't shoot it like a dot so the black reticle suits me. I'll bring it the Benning and you can play with it.

Do you guys mount it directly on an A3 without rail extensions or risers? I have an IOR 1.1x-4x and have the rear of the scope line up with the charging handle. I wouldn't be able to do this without a Larue mount and they don't make them in 35mm.

Scout 454 is not BS'ing::: picking up the guy fishing on the dam - a mile and a half away - at 1030 at night

We were staying at my parents lake house in NC when we shot the CTI. We were hanging out late one night and I told him I want to check out what a $1200 scope looked like. Holy sheyooooot!! The dam is 1.5 miles from my parents place with lights on top of it. No joke at 2230 you could see a guy fishins plain as day.

I need to save all my pennies for one of those. Hopefully Larue will eventually make a mount for this scope.

Jayson

Edited by NovaShooter

• 3 weeks later...

I used one for a couple of years in 3-gun. Very good glass, but for me it is heavy and big around, reticle is busy, can't see any red during daylight, dot is too big for long range and I couldn't remember to turn it off so battery was often out. I prefer a Trijicon Accupoint, and would like to have a new one with crosshairs and mildots.

Scout 454 is not BS'ing::: picking up the guy fishing on the dam - a mile and a half away - at 1030 at night

We were staying at my parents lake house in NC when we shot the CTI. We were hanging out late one night and I told him I want to check out what a $1200 scope looked like. Holy sheyooooot!! The dam is 1.5 miles from my parents place with lights on top of it. No joke at 2230 you could see a guy fishins plain as day.

I need to save all my pennies for one of those. Hopefully Larue will eventually make a mount for this scope.

Jayson

J-dawg,

ADM makes rings for their mount that will fit a IOR 35mm....http://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=44

Later,

Robb

I have this scope on one of my rifles and love it...very good retical and very good glass. I like the back of the scope even with the charging handle also and decided to try IOR's one piece scope mount in 35mm and that thing is very well made. I had to mount it past my reciever in the front but it is super solid and I'm happy with the height of it...not as high as Larues but close. I have a good photo of it if some one wants to email me I'll send it to them. sheldon_blackwell@candfsteel.com