Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI 140mm Mag Set Up

Paul Burtchell

Just purchased a new factory STI Executive and need some advice on "tuning" the factory 140mm mags. All of my other Limited guns that I've ran in the past have been purchased used and already set up so this is a little new to me. I believe my old mags were STI with ISMI springs, Dawson followers and Dawson +1 basepads. 100% reliable but, I could never get more than 19 in a mag.

I would really like to get 20 or 21 if possible. My new gun is totally stock and has an unmodified slide stop. I would like it not to lock back. Is there a follower that will accomplish this or is this something that the slide stop needs to be modified by a gunsmith to accomplish?

I've read so much I just have myself confused. :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: Just would like to know the best spring/follower/basepad combo to accomplish this. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Edited by baerburtchell

With the STI tubes the Grams 11 coil spring and follower kit is the best. On the base pads, the Grams 4mm and the Dawson SNL are the ones I have and both fit 20, but the Dawsons have a little more room for reloading. Don't forget to check the length. Chris at STI said the feed lips should be .385"-.387" in the front with a .002" taper { bigger in front}. Outside of tube .935"-.945" side to side. There is probably better dimensions that they use when "tuning". I don't think you can get 21 reloadable without the "tuning". Another option if you don't run a real long OAL is SPS from Docter. To not hold your gun open read the Front Sight article on Brazos website.

The Bolen follower and spring will drop in and offer the most capacity of any parts money can buy.

Grind the tab off the follower that engages the slide stop and grind the tab off the slide stop itself.

I have no illusions of being a gunsmith, so I think I'm going to take everyone's advice and buy some of Howard's tuned mags from Shooter's Connection.

I just need someone to work on the slide stop, but I don't want to be without my gun :wacko:

Edited by baerburtchell

Paul,

On the mags gun I bought from you, I dropped Bolen follower and spring in and got 20 no problem with an SNL basepad. Just ground a little off the follower where it engaged the slide stop. To do this, I took the top end off, put the slide stop in, then inserted a mag. I used a scribe to mark where the slide stop touched the follower. Then took the follower out of the mag and CAREFULLY ground it away.

Or the easier solution and you'll get 21 - get Howard's mags. He's made a science of blueprinting mags.

~Mitch

Paul,

On the mags gun I bought from you, I dropped Bolen follower and spring in and got 20 no problem with an SNL basepad. Just ground a little off the follower where it engaged the slide stop. To do this, I took the top end off, put the slide stop in, then inserted a mag. I used a scribe to mark where the slide stop touched the follower. Then took the follower out of the mag and CAREFULLY ground it away.

Or the easier solution and you'll get 21 - get Howard's mags. He's made a science of blueprinting mags.

~Mitch

:cheers: :cheers:

I run untuned SVI tubes, Bolen's springs and followers, SNL pads. 21 rounds reloadable all day. With tuning they MIGHT hold 22 but it would be tight. I live with the 21+1 on the start.

As for waiting 8 weeks on mags....how long do you wait for a custom gun? If I was paying big bucks for a custom gun and waiting for it, I would order the mags from Howard at the same time. If your buying a off the shelf gun, get off the shelf mags...not trying to be argumentative but good things take time and there is back log on the good stuff. Hell it takes 6 months to get a holster from Milt Sparks!

Wow, talk about taking something the wrong way. Once again, not saying they are not great, not saying they are not worth the wait. I am just saying with all of the competent mag tuners in the world. Someone else should take some of the Burden off of Howards shoulders. I was quoted 6-8 weeks from him, and a " I will add you to the List" from Shooters connection. When my SPS Tubed mag started to fail me, before area 3, I had to live with 18 rnders. No amount of $ could buy me a 21rnd mag, like I am used to having. This may not matter to some, but had a huge impact on my stage planning. One more time, I am Not Knocking Howard at all, Great guy. I have even met him , and seen his mags first hand. I just would like to have a source, that has some in stock. Ok, now that that is all peachy, does anyone know where to get these Bolen parts, people speak of? Thanks

Ok, now that that is all peachy, does anyone know where to get these Bolen parts, people speak of? Thanks

Got mine from Shooters Connection, but I believe Speed Shooters International should have them too.

~Mitch

Here's what worked for me.

If I'm going to compete in another division, I usually set up my gun/caliber/equipment in the fall for the next season, so I'm ready to go in the spring. Last fall, I spent most of my time at work, so I was behind schedule this spring to set up for Limited division.

I got my new STI Edge in march. 40 was a new caliber for me to start reloading, so I had to get a load going.

I needed mags right away. Shooters Connection said there would be at least a 4 to 6 week wait. Too long for me. I called Brazo's. They had a set of tuned STI tubes with Grams follower/spring and Dawson SNL base pads in stock and ready to ship. I got the one's with the modified follower so the slide wouldn't lock back. But I was warned that with the stock slide release, the slide might lock back with one round in each mag. Sure enough, it did.

I got a modified slide release from Brazo's. Worked great, although I had to fit the pin to the barrel lugs. No problem, as I called them and was given explicit directions on how to do it. After that, the mag follower/slide release combo worked great.

The mags hold 20 each. But for the sake of reliabilty, I start with 20 in the gun, and my reloads mags are downloaded to 19 for ease of insertion during reloading.

It's now August, well into the season. This set up has been working great.

I have STI tubes with Dawson +1 (not SNL) and the 11 coil grams springs and followers. I can get 20 in each mag, not tuned, but they were not reloadable. I had one SVI tube that was 20 reloadable and they all worked 100%. I trimmed the follower and the gun never locked back, no need to touch the slide stop or modify the gun. My buddy bought the HSMITH mags and he gets 20 reloadable (I think, might be 21) in every one of them and they run 200%.

I have heard such good things about Howard in all the posts out there that once the NC Sectional is finished I am sending him all 6 of my STI mags - bolen base pads, springs and followers for him to tune. I will shoot SS for awhile while I am waiting for him to get finished.

He even offered to touch them up after they were IonBonded.

Can't beat that with a stick.

:cheers: