Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Put a toe in the water

HighVelocity

I've been shooting IDPA for a couple years and recently started shooting Steel Challenge type matches but today I shot a local USPSA Match. Boy, it was a little different.

On the first stage, I learned that there's penalty called "failure to engage". Whoops...

The 2nd stage went a little better and I put holes in all the targets that were supposed to have them and none in those that weren't. It felt strange dropping mags with ammo in them and reloading on the move in the open with a round in the chamber, definitely will take time to get used to that operation.

Stage 3, I found out that, unlike IDPA, each hit on a no-shoot is a seperate penalty and shoot throughs don't count. :roflol:

Stage 4, no penalties, but was told that I took too much time getting a better sight picture than I needed for that particular COF.

My accuracy (other than the NS) was pretty good all day. Mostly A hits. But, definitely need to go faster.

I shot a 45acp 1911 in SS division. It was fun and I learned quite a bit in just 4 stages. All the other shooters where very helpful with questions about rules and such. Next month I'll hopefully be more relaxed and speed things up a bit. :rolleyes:

Gary

Wait till the first time they tell you to shoot all targets outside the starting box... and you forget to get out of the box!! That's how you REALLY get hosed!!

I do love it though! Makes it hard to design IDPA stages once you shoot USPSA for a while that's for sure.

Edited by lugnut

Gary, you did great! When you're used to being told exactly how to shoot a stage it can be a bit of a shock when the stage description simply reads "start here, shoot 'em all"... :lol: I'm glad you and George made it out to play, hope to see you guys at more USPSA matches in the future. DVC, baby! :cheers:

Thanks folks.. It was fun, no doubt about it. Next month seems soooooo far away..

well, if you don't (can't?) wait, Tyler shoots tomorrow, Greenville next week and then Double Tap and Waco the week after that.... :cheers:

I have never shot IDPA but I'm not sure what the reason for mag retention is anyway. If I ever get into a shootout with a suspect and it takes me more than 17 rds to end it then you can count on finding my mags on the ground! Anyway, welcome to the club.

Way to go Gary!

You better watch out, it's addictive.

Just wait until you shoot some really big field courses and it suddenly dawns on you that for all those years you've been holding your breath when you shoot. :roflol:

Have fun, wish I could have been there to see it.

Dan

Gary,

Glad to hear that you had a good time today.

From your shooting in IDPA, you know that you're already a very good shooter.

In adding USPSA to the mix, I think you're positioning yourself to see your gun handling, and shooting skills take another leap forward.

Come on out to Greenville next Saturday - there's usually no shortage of folks to ride-share with, and you'll see more stages like Stage 1 at today's match.

It was good to see a bunch of the guys out there from the various sports. I think a good time was had by all and I'd like to see y'all come back!!!

Edited by Mick

I went to my first shoot this weekend, it was called IPSC-101 and found the course of fire somewhat disconcerting and moving around while shooting, indeed strange...for me in the Southwest desert I will not be dropping my magazines in the sand...although during a real gunfight I guess if I had to reload, the location of empty mags would not be a major concern...LOL...Really did enjoy the experience, although I can see where the rules will be a bit tedious to learn at first...so this weekend

am going to an USPCA shoot and taking along 4 other friends to give it a try also...should be fun and I suspect addictive...I used to shoot skeet and that was addictive once I became AA in all guns...

but it also got to be work...I hope this is not that way...I really do want to enjoy this sport....

Blessings....

I found that this hobby takes a lot of work to be good at. There are some, not many, that shoot just for the sheer pleasure of shooting. But damn if there ain't some RB who beats me. So I practice, and sometimes I can win my class. Just like golf, it can take a lifetime to master(or not.) Enjoy the ride.