Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spider Web In An Empty Case

bruce282

Loading 3.4 grs of WST under a Precision 147gr moly bullets. I had a flipped primer so I was going slow and trying to see if anything looked funny. Glanced at the round that just moved to station 3 (550b) and noticed the powder level was higher than it should be, not a double load, it looked to be 1.5 times the right amount of powder. There was a bunch of spider web type crap in the bottom of the case. What would have happened if this had slipped through and been fired.

I'm guessing nothing since the powder charge was correct and I would assume the web stuff would just vaporize as the powder burned, but I thought I would check.

Bruce

Loading 3.4 grs of WST under a Precision 147gr moly bullets. I had a flipped primer so I was going slow and trying to see if anything looked funny. Glanced at the round that just moved to station 3 (550b) and noticed the powder level was higher than it should be, not a double load, it looked to be 1.5 times the right amount of powder. There was a bunch of spider web type crap in the bottom of the case. What would have happened if this had slipped through and been fired.

I'm guessing nothing since the powder charge was correct and I would assume the web stuff would just vaporize as the powder burned, but I thought I would check.

Bruce

I collect a lot of range brass. While sorting cases, it isn't uncommon to see small spiders scurrying from the cases. Since I tumble clean and polish all of the brass I collect before using it, I've never encountered a problem with debris.

Some shooters use silk or dacron to provide filler material for low charge weights in large cases. Since this filler material obviously disintegrates with the powder when discharged, I'm sure your spider webs will too; along with any spiders stupid enough to hang around. :D

Or.... as TJ had issues with at summer blast, you will have a case that has mud combined with the crud and you will here pop, pop, boom, pop, pop. Not a ka-boom, but no bueno either.

Something solid like mud mixing with a spiderweb can cause less space in the case and spike the pressure. It's a fine line I wouldn't want to mess with. inspect your cases before they enter the machine.

The C.I.A uses this method for poison bullets for third world covert operations. Now that you have posted this be aware that.......

They are watching you. :ph34r:

No they don't. They just fill some HP's with Ricin and cap it with teflon like everyone else does.... :rolleyes:

The bullet will travel exactly 62 FPS slower secondary to the parachute effect of the web as it trails behind the bullet.

Seriously, if it just web and bug, probably no big deal.

If it's a ROCK under the web and bug, ouch...

Good idea, there, to tumble range brass prior to loading.

Edited by kevin c

The itsy bitsy spider went in the smoken spout... down came the hammer and blew the spider out...

And the adult version

The itsy bitsy spider went in the smoken spout... down came the hammer and blew the creepy-little- furry-leg-fkr out...

Edited by JThompson