Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm bullet weight...

Xfactor

I'm just getting started in reloading, and I'm trying to decide what weight bullets to load for my 9mm minor (~130pf) M&P Pro Series...

Please vote for your prefered bullet weight, and post as to why you settled-in on your choice.

Thanks,

I didn't like the snap with 115's or the slugishness of 147's so the gun and I settled on 124/125's. I use 124 Precision Delta's for practice & 124 Montana Gold in matches. I have some 125 gr Zero Soft Points that chronoed 125.0 in a Glock 17 that I saved for steel calibration.

In auto pistols I find the lightest bullets that make power factor while staying subsonic work the best. That translates to a 180 for major and about a 130 for minor, In 9mm not alot of 130's but 124's are everywhere so that's what I end up with. Usually in 9mm its what ever I find that's cheapest. I recently got 4000 pulled 115's from Midway so I'll be using those for awhile. At minor pf the recoil wont make that much of a difference in actual scores. I'd just use whatever zeroes and is cheap.

Nik,

If those 125's get in your way & you want to sell let me know because I have a storage shed with room. They could keep the Precision, Precision Delta, Zero & Montana Gold's company. I am hoarding against inflation.

I have a pet minor load with 147s that runs super sweet in my Sig P226 and 92F, ran fine in the FNP9 and Ruger P95DC, but would not run worth a crap in my SP01. Hellacious feeding issues, and tumbling if it left the barrel at all. Same OAL in 124s and 125s ran flawlessly.

I prefer the feel of 147s in heavier pistols, but you have to take into account what will run worth a hoot in your particular pistol. If it doesn't leave the barrel in an orderly fashion and fly true, you might as well charge the targets with a bayonet.

Got 1000 Rainer 147's as a birthday gift.

3.4 grains TiteGroup. 1.160 OAL.

Makes minor with room to spare in my G17.

Didn't fix the four procedurals I got

on a foot out-side a fault line at Saturdays match.

Sun of aah..... Gun shoots good 'doe. <_<

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

usually I shoot the 147's, and like how soft they feel, but a few months back I had some ammo I wanted to get rid of and shot it in a match. I had everything, factory 115's, 124's plus my 147 reloads, 1 mag had all 3, and once the buzzer went off, I couldn't tell the difference.

just find the load that shoots best in your gun and stick with it, after all we're talking about 130 pf here