Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sq deal problem

I been having a problem with a sq deal catching the primer on the shell plate. Sometimes I'll get a primer inserted sideways in the brass. Other times I'll hear a snap and powder will jump out of the previously filled round.

I tried the allen screw adjustment on the primer punch a couple of times but no help. Cleaned the primer assembly. Called Dillon and the guy said it was a bad batch of Federal Primers!!

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Flopping primers can be that worn magazine orifice (it's red if you're loading .45)(blue for 9mm)... or a worn primer cup which might allow the primer to move about too much. If the edges of the primer cup get bent or spread out, the primers may not line up just right. If the magazine orifice is damaged (and they get that way frequently in MY square deal), then the primers will do all manner of stupid things... or just not feed properly at all. <_<

Interestingly, the primer cup on MY press is getting pretty battered, so I ordered a new one some time ago. Now all I need to do is install it. :rolleyes:

This happens to me sometimes. The primer punch doesn't clear the edge of the hole in the shell plate. It catches on the shellplate, and you hear a little snap. It flips the primers, sometimes landing them sideways or upside down. It can also cause the shell plate to snap a little.

I've always fixed it by removing the punch, cleaning it a bit, then reinstalling, being careful to hold it down very tight as I tighten the screw. I use a small block of wood to help push it in against the spring. It hurts to use my finger.

Try culling those primers with the high guts and see if that helps reduce the problem.

I have used many a federal primer and not experianced that problem.

try another brand of primer and then if none of that works call Dillon again. :cheers:

Edited by mpeltier

I reset the primer punch again. No fix.

I pulled the shell plate and cleaned underneath and the shell plate itself. Still not right. Dammit!

guess I'll try some diff primers.

I was going to suggest you re-seat the primer punch but since you already have, one more thing to try. Check that the primer cup is perfectly aligning with the shellplate as it enters on the upstroke. There is a small setscrew in on the front of the press (see manual) that can adjust the primer cup's forward travel. If it's off too much the shellplate can contact the primer cup early as it's attempting to center itself on the upstroke. I probably didn't explain it well but hopefully, the manual can clear it up.

Remove the primer slide and measure from the underside of the primer slide to the top of the primer cup.

It should be 1.410", +/-.005". If too tall, use a clamp or vise to reseat, then retighten the set screw.

If the primer height is correct, then remove the primer feed and cycle the handle. See if the shellplate

is rotated far enough around for the detent ball to loacte it in place. If it doesn't, there is probably a set

screw in the upper rear right side of the shaft. This screw stops travel of the index lever. Back it out 1/4

turn at a time until the shellplat is fully indexed.

If the shellplate is indexing properly, then the primer slide is not properly aligned with the shellplate.

Underneath the primer slide, and above the coil return spring for the slide, is a set screw. This screw

is the forward stop to control aligning the primer cup with the hole in the shellplate. To best adjust this,

remove the powder measure and funnel from the powder die. Look down through the powder die

and watch the primer cup attempt to come up through the shellplate. If the cup is going in too far, then

back this set screw up 1/4 turn at a time. If the primer cup needs to travel further inward to line up

with the shellpalte, then turn the screw in. :ph34r:

Thanks Dillon, that is some good info to have.

I tried some Winchester primers today, only had one "snap". Made a small adjustment from Dillon's advice and ran the rest of the primers with no problems.

With the Fed primers I was lucky to go 5 or 6 rds without a problem. I'm going to call them now! I have loaded 10's of thousands of Fed primers, this is the first problem I have had. Maybe there is some quality control let down with the amount they have been running the last couple of years. I'll be buying the Win's from now on!

If the shellplate is indexing properly, then the primer slide is not properly aligned with the shellplate.

Underneath the primer slide, and above the coil return spring for the slide, is a set screw. This screw

is the forward stop to control aligning the primer cup with the hole in the shellplate. To best adjust this,

remove the powder measure and funnel from the powder die. Look down through the powder die

and watch the primer cup attempt to come up through the shellplate. If the cup is going in too far, then

back this set screw up 1/4 turn at a time. If the primer cup needs to travel further inward to line up

with the shellpalte, then turn the screw in.

That's the little bugger I tried to reference above and didn't explain nearly so well. I detected a bit of "roughness" in mine as the primer cup entered the shellplate and a little tweaking on the overtravel set screw slicked it up...never a primer problem since.