Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting to reload

ER_STL

I hate to ask what I'm sure has already been answered but I ran out of (work) time while doing a search. I have a Glock 19 and an M&P9. I plan on starting to reload. What is a good, least-expensive plated/jacketed bullet choice? I'm not currently competing; rather, I'm a new shooter who wants to shoot as much as possible. 115gr is fine as I'm used to WWB 115gr. 147gr is also fine too but seems to be more expensive.

So far Montana Gold and Rainier have been recommended. It seems like they're around $65-$70/1000 when ordering 4000 or more. Any other suggestions?

Eric

Precision Delta should be good. I use their 40's. They have always been great to deal with.

I have had good luck with Rainier in 9mm in a Glock 17.

I had a batch that I used in 38 super and they worked fine, then the next batch keyholed.

I hear nothing but good about Montana Gold and am going to try some soon.

Good luck!!

Precision Delta should be good. I use their 40's. They have always been great to deal with.

I had a batch that I used in 38 super and they worked fine, then the next batch keyholed.

Good luck!!

Just to be clear which bullet keyholed in the 38super, Rainier or Precision Delta?

Thanks

Good luck!!

Just to be clear which bullet keyholed in the 38super, Rainier or Precision Delta?

Thanks

I am pretty sure he is talking about Rainier(plated bullet). I have used Precision Deltas (FMJ) and had good results but they dont have an enclosed base so I switched to MGB. I use JHP 180gr for 40 and 230gr CMJ for 45.

I use nothing but Montana Golds anymore.

BK

Edited by bkeeler

If you are just starting out, I would recommend sticking with a cheaper jacketed bullet vs a plated or moly bullet. The are easier to learn with. Plated, moly, and lead can be quirksome and a bit more frustrating. MG's, Zero's (if you can find them), and Precision Deltas are all good choices. Once you have reliable reloading practices solidified, then start tinkering with the cheaper alternatives to jacketed.

Thanks for the feedback.

It sounds like jacketed bullets might be the best way to go for a noob like me. There's a Graf's and Sons not too far from me where I could pick up powder and primers. A local range has Montana Gold for $269/4000 (thanks Bkeeler for the info) and Montana ships directly for $274/4000. Precision is about the same price.

Next question - do people here frequently go in on a group-buy to get lower prices on all of the components? If not here, could anyone recommend a site where people do do that? Or is it just easier to buy bullets online and then powder/primers locally?

Edited by ER_STL

Thanks for the feedback.

It sounds like jacketed bullets might be the best way to go for a noob like me. There's a Graf's and Sons not too far from me where I could pick up powder and primers. A local range has Montana Gold for $269/4000 (thanks Bkeeler for the info) and Montana ships directly for $274/4000. Precision is about the same price.

Next question - do people here frequently go in on a group-buy to get lower prices on all of the components? If not here, could anyone recommend a site where people do do that? Or is it just easier to buy bullets online and then powder/primers locally?

I'm pretty sure that group buys are against the rules here. I think most clubs tend to have a few folks that will get together and order powder and primers in bulk to save some $. Normally you have to buy way too many bullets to get any kind of discount, so it becomes cumbersome. If you have the Grafs locally, it's a good bet you won't be able to beat their prices on powder and primers since shipping and hazmat fees can add up quickly.

I load MT Gold. Have put them thru H&K 45s & 40, Para 40, Sig 40, Glock 9s (lots), S&W 686, & 45 Colt. They are the best jacketed bullet going. At a new range this weekend with a squad of M & As, almost all 9 of us were loading MT Gold (MGs) in every caliber. If you go with a JHP, you'll have little to no smoke either.