Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should i sell my 550B if i can get a xl650 for what i sell the 550 for

First off, hi everyone, im new around here!

sorry if the topic seemed confused, i need everyones help!

so i have a an older 550b that i bought about 2months ago (used) i have loaded a thousand rounds or so no problem. however here is my predicament

I have a chance to pick up a new xl650 for a little less than 350 bucks. And i could probably sell the 550 for that (with 3 extra toolheads)

but im just wondering if i should or not

is the automatic indexing worth it? (i know this question can go either way)

i probably only shoot 500-600 rounds a month right now. But i want to get into some sort of competition shooting eventually.

So please someone give me some words of wisdom

If it's in good shape, I'd be all over it in a minute. Or better yet, I'll pay you a small finders fee and you point me in the direction of the 650 for that price :devil:

well i think im gonna have to sell it locally, or else shipping would kill the deal

If you get the brass feeder with it, I would say absolutely go for it. If not, well, maybe. The 650 isn't much faster at all without the brass feeder. With my 550, I could easily load 300rds an hour. With either of my 650s & the brass feeder, I can do that in half an hour. Obviously other folks are faster but I'm a little anal compulsive plus that includes adding primers, filling tubes, etc. That is my experience, worth every penny you paid for it!

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum & reloading. :-)

MLM

If you get the brass feeder with it, I would say absolutely go for it. If not, well, maybe. The 650 isn't much faster at all without the brass feeder. With my 550, I could easily load 300rds an hour. With either of my 650s & the brass feeder, I can do that in half an hour. Obviously other folks are faster but I'm a little anal compulsive plus that includes adding primers, filling tubes, etc. That is my experience, worth every penny you paid for it!

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum & reloading. :-)

MLM

ya i have thought about the casefeeder, but i can pick that up at a later date the deal on the 650 wont last long

OK, I'll be the odd guy out and say no. :huh: But I have never used anything but a 550.

Would you then have to replace the three toolheads that you already have?

Don't listen to me, I'm bias. I love my 550. It's as fast as I need to go.

Just seems like more things to go wrong and takes longer to change calibers on the 650.

Don't come down on me too hard guys. I not knocking the 650. I'm just uneducated in it's benefits.

OK, I'll be the odd guy out and say no. :huh: But I have never used anything but a 550.

Would you then have to replace the three toolheads that you already have?

Don't listen to me, I'm bias. I love my 550. It's as fast as I need to go.

Just seems like more things to go wrong and takes longer to change calibers on the 650.

Don't come down on me too hard guys. I not knocking the 650. I'm just uneducated in it's benefits.

+1

The 550 is all I've ever owned and I love it. If I ever need more machine than this it will be a 1050.

I had the same thing happen. A 650 with a case feeder for what I sold my 550 for. Both were used.

I liked my 550 better for the following reasons: I don't load more than a 1000 a month so speed was not an issue, 550 was easier to change calibers, and did not spill powder out of the cases. I have to admit the case feeder is nice, but I understand you can get a case feeder for the the 550 now.

Just my .02 and personal experience.

I have both a 550 and a 650. Started on the 550 and graduated to the 650 a few years later. For small stuff (less than 500 rounds) in odd calibers (i.e., .38 Special, .357, etc.), I occasionally use the 550, but for anything I shoot a lot, the 650 is the way to go (with the casefeeder, of course). If you are not concerned about speed, either will work.

I have two 550's, one with a case feeder and one 1050...

The 550 with the case feeder loads .40S&W, the 1050 is setup in 9mm.. I use the other for everything else.. .45acp, .223 and .38/.357.

I'd buy the 650 and flip it. The 550's are faster to setup, cheaper to change over and with the added case feeder, it takes about 8 minutes, before it says "feed-me".. The 1050 takes about 4 minutes, and EVERYTHING is on the DOWN stroke. :-)

I have a 550, a 650, and a 1050. I started with the 550. If you can swing it, buy the 650 and keep both of them. As previously stated, you can set the 650 up for your bulk loads and use the 550 for others. The 550 is quick and easy to use. The 650 takes some getting used to. Dillon loaders are only going up in price and who knows what the future will hold for gun owners/reloaders.

• 3 months later...
I've been searching for a dillon press. If you decide to sell the 550 please let me know. Thanks.

I guess I'm in the dark ages; the 450 I bought back in the early 1980's is still humming along, with occasional tuneups or replacement parts courtesy of the Dillon no B.S. warranty. They replaced the manual stuff--primer feed, powder measure--that matters to me free, as well as added a few other gadgets when I sent it in a few years ago. I keep it set up for .38 special most of the time, as that is the caliber I shoot more than any by far. For my other needs there is my old RCBS Junior; slow but certain. Maybe I'll move up when the kids are out of college, if my 401 (k) has improved, if the house is paid off, if I don't pick up a few Model 19's, if....

I sold my SDB when I bought my 650. The 650 is awesome, awesome, awesome. I used a friends 550 years ago. I think the 650 even without the case feeder would be an improvement, don't forget you also get another spot in the toolhead to add a die. In my case I use a RCBS lock-out die.