Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Got a new gun, shot times went way down

rc2125

So I got all fired up, went an bought a new pistol (STI eagle 5.0). Have been mainly shooting Glocks and revolvers for at least the past 10 years. I shoot ALOT, but never really had much focus or goals, just shoot alot. Recently got a shot timer, have been re-learning some techniques and plan on shooting some matches in the near future. Always see folks using 1911's for matches on TV, so figured there must be a reason..... maybe single action/light triggers/faster reset or something. Sold my glock 22 and got an STI in 40S&W with bushing barrel (idpa ok).

First thing I noticed was manipulating the safety when drawing the gun outa the bladetech holster took some time or just seemed weird, and I was having trouble with having to raise the front sight up to see it (didn't point naturally , from the different grip angle). Got the timer going and in comparison, my times literally doubled. My split times in bill drills were longer also.

So my question is basically, does the single action/light trigger stuff make any difference with split times/shot times/etc , or can the glocks be worked just as good, cuz I really shot better with my glock?

I think that I'm gonna go back with a glock Put about 350 rounds through it this weekend, it's a real tack driver, but it just doesn't seem to be what I can drive right now.

Edited by Singlestack
*Edited to remove advertisement*

So I got all fired up, went an bought a new pistol (STI eagle 5.0). Have been mainly shooting Glocks and revolvers for at least the past 10 years. I shoot ALOT, but never really had much focus or goals, just shoot alot. Recently got a shot timer, have been re-learning some techniques and plan on shooting some matches in the near future. Always see folks using 1911's for matches on TV, so figured there must be a reason..... maybe single action/light triggers/faster reset or something. Sold my glock 22 and got an STI in 40S&W with bushing barrel (idpa ok).

First thing I noticed was manipulating the safety when drawing the gun outa the bladetech holster took some time or just seemed weird, and I was having trouble with having to raise the front sight up to see it (didn't point naturally , from the different grip angle). Got the timer going and in comparison, my times literally doubled. My split times in bill drills were longer also.

So my question is basically, does the single action/light trigger stuff make any difference with split times/shot times/etc , or can the glocks be worked just as good, cuz I really shot better with my glock?

I think that I'm gonna go back with a glock and have already posted the STI for sale in a few places (pm if interested by the way, priced to sell fast!!). Put about 350 rounds through it this weekend, it's a real tack driver, but it just doesn't seem to be what I can drive right now.

so 350 rounds and how much dry fire?

you have 10 years of habit from shooting a glock

it will take more than 350 rounds to get used to the sti

i had a glock and now have a sti the glock trigger will never be as good as a 1911 cos of the plane in swings in

just take it out and shoot in practice you may have to slow right down till you have the right grip , working the saftey ,different trigger ect and do lots of dry fire

If you're used to the grip angle of a Glock, a 1911/2011/Para/Caspian is going to point low for you until you get used to it. An easy fix would be a wedge-shaped mainspring housing to bring the muzzle up higher.

As already mentioned, you've got years of practice with one style of gun and almost nothing with the new one and your times reflect that. It would be odd if that wasn't the case.

I have a buddy who decided to try Open this year and after a couple thousand rounds he was ready to sell the gun...and he's a very good shooter (solid A in a couple of divisions) who has a couple of other S_I guns. A couple thousand more rounds and all of a sudden he's started really running that gun great.

Lots of folks here shoot 25-100K rounds per year, so when they're saying you just need more reps before you can make an informed decision, they know what they're talking about. Change one thing on a gun, much less the whole gun, and most folks are going to give it a couple thousand rounds before deciding one way or the other. R,

You have been shooting sub-consciously with the Glock. Now with a new gun you are conscious of the diiferences which makes you shoot consciously. More time with the new gun will allow you to shoot sub-consciously again and potentially shoot better than your Glock.

6 yrs. ago I went from a glock I had shot for 3 yrs. to a STI I got from Frank Garcia. 4000 rds. later I sold the Sti and went back to the glock. I couldn't get use to it. 2 years ago I bought a Brazo SC and haven't looked back. The timing and type of shooter I am has changed and the Brazo was built to fit me which the first gun wasn't. It all depends.

Been going through same transition lately too. I have dabbled in moving from Glocks to an STI. Blisters from shooting, feels awkward in the hand, thumb safety, etc etc.

It's not the gun. It's exactly what BritinUSA said. You are thinking about everything you are doing instead of just hearing the beep and subconsciously shooting. I have accepted this while shooting the STI until it set's in. It just takes time, reps, and rounds down range.

Yep, funny you mention blister, weak hand trigger finger needed some tape today..... I gut'd a taurus revolver to work out the trigger fingers, over did it a bit here recently.

So how is that transition going for ya?

Edited by rc2125

You have learned a valuable lesson, "it ain't the piano its the player".

Many believe that the platform, the ammo, the support gear (insert whatever you like) are the keys to success, when the reality is, "the work" is the key in the beginning, middle and end.

After a while (of doing "the work") there is a short learning curve to switching platforms but you still must "do the work". These"things" don't do it (the work) for you, they are simply "projectile delivery systems"

Oh man, I get to say it before Flex comes along. "Pick one and practice". That guy on the front cover of Front Sight magazine has won major matches with a fat gun, a skinny gun, a double action/single action, a safe action...

You have learned a valuable lesson, "it ain't the piano its the player".

Many believe that the platform, the ammo, the support gear (insert whatever you like) are the keys to success, when the reality is, "the work" is the key in the beginning, middle and end.

After a while (of doing "the work") there is a short learning curve to switching platforms but you still must "do the work". These"things" don't do it (the work) for you, they are simply "projectile delivery systems"

I agree with your comments. You can generally assume that the best shooters use the best gear because it is obviously working well for them. If you look at them, you will find people who shoot STI/SV, Glock, Springfield, Para, etc.

Assuming your gun is reliable, it all comes down to the one driving it, and as stated several times above, there is always going to be a transition time when you switch platforms.

When I switched to Glocks, it took 2000 rounds to get used to the trigger, at least to the point where I was equally accurate and fast as I had been with Berettas. 350 is just breaking the gun in, it took me more than that to stop doubling my single stack when I got it, from my ingrained Glock trigger prep pressure.

That being said, I can run consistent .16 splits (with no accuracy) so the Glock trigger is by no means slow. It's just different.

H.

I started with a 1911 got good with it and switched to a Glock and shot it well right out of the box. One thing i noticed with any gun I cant pull the trigger as fast as some guys can. Not even aiming just pulling the trigger some guys can really hammer it, my fingers just cant physically shoot that fast. That's why i am sticking with a Glock, my trigger timing is works the best for me. I won a double trouble match which was a draw and shoot two plates one above the other with a Glock 21. I would personally see if you can physically shoot one gun faster than the other before i would switch to a single action. my own finger speed limitations work well with a Glock. If I had a fast finger I would stick to a 1911 and just practice to the point where you can shoot fast and hit what your aiming at. I shot against a guy with the fastest trigger I have ever seen, close in he was amazing, he didn't have the accuracy at any distance, but I would love to be able to shoot that fast to start with, then slow down till you get the hits. I know thats backwards you need to get the hits and speed up, but i like to bring the targets close and go as fast as I can pull the trigger and then start putting farther shots to learn the sight picture.

I probably come from a different place - the instructor who I learned from solidly believed that by shooting lots of different types of guns with different actions, grip angles etc, one would become a better SHOOTER than really good with a particular gun. So weekly I'll shoot EAA Witness, XD and Revolver all at the same "plate league" in the same night. I know that to really excel I need to focus on one, and I do when I have to, but variety is the spice of life!

Do a bunch of dryfire draws to practice with the safety and the trigger pull. As these guys have said, give your new STI some time. Work the fundamentals.

~Mitch

Decided to go back to what I'm used to, try to improve my skills with that, rather than start over with a whole new platform. I can tinker, repair, replace anything on a glock literally with my eyes closed.........vs the 2011 rig, where I wouldn't know where to begin repairing, changing or modifying (other than having it done by someone). Thanks for the replies & insight. I'm still blown away by how much there is to learn, almost like I've been wasting ammo for 20 years now!

Put a bull barrel in it also & a great trigger, about 2#. It may seem weird at first but it will come around.

Why specifically a bull barrel? Of all the mods for a pro to recommend to a new 2011 shooter that isn't one of the ones I would have thought was important.

Put a bull barrel in it also & a great trigger, about 2#. It may seem weird at first but it will come around.

Why specifically a bull barrel? Of all the mods for a pro to recommend to a new 2011 shooter that isn't one of the ones I would have thought was important.

Trust Benny on this. I did. :cheers:

The bull barrel will lessen felt recoil and reduce muzzle flip. It's faster. Great trigger helps in so many ways.

Save the "skinny" barrel on an Eagle for IDPA, if you shoot that game.

Edited by baerburtchell

I've been switching back and forth from 1911s to a Glock since I started this game. At first when drawing I had a tendency to point the gun high (or low) because of the different grip angles. I've been working on REALLY watching the front sight, so now I draw both guns to a proper index and don't even notice the difference.

I do notice a difference in the triggers. When I trot out the Glock after shooting the STI for a while, I have a tendency to think I can get a good sight picture then slap the trigger and move on. The longer Glock trigger pull often results in pulling shots off-target, until I REALLY focus on holding the sight on the target til the shot breaks.

I know conventional wisdom says you'll get better if you keep running the same gun, but I think switching back and forth has helped me progress.

Oh man, I get to say it before Flex comes along. "Pick one and practice". That guy on the front cover of Front Sight magazine has won major matches with a fat gun, a skinny gun, a double action/single action, a safe action...

Go with what works for ya! B)