Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

686 Conversion?

Leroy

I read a ad. on moon clips.com and it is advertising clarks custom shop now will take a 686 357 and convert it to a 9mm.. Says they can make it shoot 9x19...9x23---and 38 super.. has any one tried this set up?

thanks

Leroy

I believe the conversion is to 9x23. It would have to be a moonclip gun. Once its reamed for 9x23, you supposedly be able to shoot 9x19, 9x21, 38 Super, 38 Supercomp and 9x23 (aka 9 Supercomp).

TK Custom does the conversion. I might be mistaken, but I think this would be for 8 shot revolvers. I haven't seen a 9x 6 shot moonclip (doesn't mean they don't exist though)

I might be mistaken, but I think this would be for 8 shot revolvers. I haven't seen a 9x 6 shot moonclip (doesn't mean they don't exist though)

They have the 6 shot moons for the .38 super 686 that just came out. You can find them on TK Custom's website.

-ld

yes tk customs is the right place.

i have a 6 shot 38 super and just order clips for it. i am just curious about coverting a 357 to a 9mm and wondering if it is really worth it.

Leroy

Moonclips made by Tom for 9X23 don't work with all 9mm or 38 SA brass; 38/357 chambers don't accept all 9mm (most are tapered, nor 38SA of all brands ( most are larger in diameter).

Yea,

It,s probably not worth the price. I am new here and grasping at straws...

I just got a new model 66 357 and i am just going to do a trigger job and chaffer the cylinders..

thinking of maybe taking off the spur of the hammer or maybe just getting a spurred hammer and keep the stock one.

all suggestions are very much appreciated..

Thnaks

Leroy

• 3 months later...

SharonAnne, check with Tom at TK about 7shot moons for 9x23, I dont think he makes any, I checked a while back. Another option is to get some 38 short colt brass from Starline, they load quick, and you dont have any ejection problems. 9x23 dont fit in the 8shot super clips either, since I was going to get one and ream it for 9x23 so I could shoot the same load in my stock, open, and open revo for steel................ :angry: just lazy dontcha know B) Let me know if I or any other revo buff can help. Doug

Leroy,

Depending on what you are going to be shooting your revovler in(USPSA or ICORE) Be careful on the taking off the hammer spur. In uspsa you cannot make any external modifications like that and still shoot in revolver class.

9x23 Conversions

I no longer perform this conversion. I have stopped pistolsmithing all together for reasons beyond my control. I will continue the On-line store to serve the Moonclip shooters.

Tom Revo @ www.moonclips.com