Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barricade Shooting

sv45

How do you guys tend to engage targets when rules say you have to shoot right targets on right side and shoot left targets on left? Do you try to crowd the barricade so you can pivot at your waste to shoot both sides or stay back and shift your feet to shoot both sides?

thanks sv45

Neither. Stay back from the barricade. In a Bianchi box, to get far enough away you'll have to be at the back of the box. Spread you feet as far out as they'll go; again, this will put them at the limits of the Bianchi box. Leave your feet in place and simply shift your weight to shoot around each side. Much faster than adding any sort of foot movement into the equation.

Oh no i can just see some new shooters trying that and dropping their gun! not to mention most of us can't shoot worth a crap with our weak side compared to our strong side!

i second Duane on this one, stay back, a good measure is atleast your arms length so you can just barely touch the baricade.

charging the barricade is bad for 3 reasons.

1. your not in your normal shooting position.

2. not many barricades will hold you up, they aren't supported where i shoot

3. in any real life scenario its pretty much suicide. if somone charges the "barricade" from the other side you can't move. or if a bullet strieks and object near you it's much more likely to penetrate you or throw derbis that will if you are close to it.

How do you guys tend to engage targets when rules say you have to shoot right targets on right side and shoot left targets on left? Do you try to crowd the barricade so you can pivot at your waste to shoot both sides or stay back and shift your feet to shoot both sides?

As said...stay back from the barricade and try not to shift your feet.

You shouldn't have to shuffle around with a 2 foot barricade.

Bend those knees. Whichever side you are shooting from...bend that knee more...putting more weight on it...kinda lean forward into that leg.

Try to stay away from standing up-right and bending at the waist.

L2S, great example...I was going to post the same video.

sv45,

This barricade is a bit wide...might call it a wall. Same concept. Notice that Julien bends the knee and leans into it...putting most of the weight on the outside leg.

I'm not really crazy about the "switching to the left hand to shoot around the left side" thing. Why choose to fire with your "dumb" hand if you don't have to? Another pointer: when going around cover you'll have a tendency to cant the gun over as you wrap farther around the barricade - example, the IDPA classifier, firing up the leftmost target around the right-side barricade and vice versa. I find it works much better to keep the gun oriented straight up and down.

Under no circumstances allow the sides of your hands or the gun muzzle to touch the side of the barricade. The gun will "bounce" away from the the barricade under recoil, screwing up your accuracy and shot-to-shot speed. The only exception to this, I find, is when I have to shoot an in-your-face target around a SOLID wall (we have a "fort" built on the Renton, Washington range). Then I'll drive the knuckles of the support hand into the wall and go into machine gun mode. The gun barely moves. It's no trick to put six shots into a head box in short order using that technique. But it's not for normal barricade shooting; it's just kind of a special purposes only thing to have in your bag of tricks.

• 3 weeks later...

Could someone clarify about start position from behind a vertical barricade, specifically the scenario in the 3rd portion of the classifier match. Question is this- prior to the first shot from this position, should you line up with only your face exposed around the corner and your feet not visible (exposed) to the threat target to avoid a penalty for not using enough cover? If there were foot fault extensions on the barricades, this would not be an issue. Should you just line up as though there were foot faults?

Could someone clarify about start position from behind a vertical barricade, specifically the scenario in the 3rd portion of the classifier match.  Question is this- prior to the first shot from this position, should you line up with only your face exposed around the corner and your feet not visible (exposed) to the threat target to avoid a penalty for not using enough cover?  If there were foot fault extensions on the barricades, this would not be an issue.  Should you just line up as though there were foot faults?

Stu - treat that position as if there are fault lines or box.

from the lgb

4. What constitutes a Procedure Penalty?

A procedure penalty is assessed when the competitor does not follow the procedures set forth in the course of fire description.

Here are some examples:

1. The competitor’s foot touches the ground outside the shooting box at the barricade on Stage 3 of the Classifier. One procedural penalty is assessed regardless of the number of shots fired.

hope that helps ,

Mark

1. The competitor’s foot touches the ground outside the shooting box at the barricade on Stage 3 of the Classifier. One procedural penalty is assessed regardless of the number of shots fired.

In IDPA the Bianchi box isn't that restricted. The only plane you have to watch are the left and right side planes of the box not the back. You can be completely out of the box to the rear as long as you don't break the left or right vertical plane on stage three of the classifier AND as long as you are not overly exposing yourself to the left or right target. A lot of shooters will operate with one foot in and one out. You just have to be wary of where that rear foot is.