Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6.5 Grendel Dies

benos

This is starting to come up more often... Dillon sells Redding Dies for the 6.5 Grendel, and they're $112! But Lee Dies are only 50 bucks.

I'm sure the Redding dies are top-notch quality wise. Does anyone have any experience with Lee dies for the 6.5 Grendel?

be

:roflol:

I just had to click on this to see what it was about. It made no sense whatsoever. You see, I've never heard of Grendel other than from reading Beowulf. I thought someone had attacked your favorite mead hall.

My reaction to the title of this thread "6.5 Grendel Dies" was similar to yours Dale.

I thought, "someone killed the 6.5 Grendel"? :huh:

I've heard of the cartridge but don't know much about it.

I thought the 6.8 SPC was the future of the assault rifle.

I've long felt the military needed a heavier slug.

The trick is to get more energy without sacrificing the advantages of weight and capacity the .223 brings.

A cartridge such as the 6.8 SPC that works in an AR-15 action would seem to make sense.

It seems that there are now other contenders in the alternate cartridge arena.

I've seen rifles in the market place for the SPC but have yet to see one chambered for the Grendel.

As for the dies, I'd spend the extra money and go with the Redding.

I have Redding dies that have produced untold thousands of rounds year after year.

The extra money for the Redding amortized over a gazillion rounds comes to.... where's my calculator?

Tls

Edited by 38superman

I've used Lee dies for other calibers and not had any problems, however a friend at Seirra Bullets plainly tells me that they are not good for quality reloaded cartridges. i assume he means they "CAN be of lesser quality".

I routinely load my .416 with Lee's ands have suffered no ill affects or produced poor ammo. I would think that if true match quality ammo is your desire then go with Redding dies, otherwise use the Lee's, I am in the market for 6.5 dies as well and will consider the Lee's now that I know they are out there.

Trapr

No experience with the 6.5 Grendle, but I'd spend the extra dinero. I've used lots of Lee rifle dies and I have to say after using RCBS and Redding I would use the higher end dies. I still use Lee pistol dies, but for long range accuracy, it's seem to be those little details, like how well the die is made, that make the difference. Besides, it's not like you're going to be able to go the cheap route with the Grendle brass. I am lusting after a 6.5 Grendle though. A small sized AR type rifle with ballistics of the old 6.5 Jap round. I'm thinking that would be wonderful.

:roflol:

I just had to click on this to see what it was about. It made no sense whatsoever. You see, I've never heard of Grendel other than from reading Beowulf. I thought someone had attacked your favorite mead hall.

Alexander Arms developed the round. They are the same guys who did the 50 Beowulf. I guess they got a theme going.

Back to the topic.

As to what bigbrowndog said, I haven't had any big problems with my Lee dies either. I use the Lee collet dies for my 6.5x55 with great results. As I buy new dies I am moving toward the other dies. The locking rings actually lock down. My lee dies have worked themselves loose. I think it may be like a Chevy vs. Cadillac. They both get you there, ones a little smoother and easier to drive.

• 3 months later...

Couple of thoughts on the Grendel:

-past 250 yards, the Grendel beats the 6.8 hands down for velocity and energy. Both easily make power factor.

-head diameter for the Grendel is the same as the 7.62x39mm Russian, and the Grendel uses the same 7.62x39mm AR bolt as Colt uses, along with every other maker of AR uppers in 7.62x39mm Russian.

-Cases can be had cheap, or expensive: Lapua makes accurate cases - for a price, but now Wolf is selling cases that are brass, boxer-primed, and fully reloadable and the loaded ammo is very inexpensive.

-bullets are 120 grains usually, but can go heavier or lighter depending on need.

Essentially, if all your 3gun, Major caliber shooting is inside 250 yards, and you don't mind paying for 6.8, then you could go for either the 6.8 or the Grendel. But if you want a flat-shooting caliber that is accurate out to (and WAY past) poppers at 300 meters, then you want the Grendel. It will make shots out to 1000 yards and with a longer barrel, it will still be supersonic at 1000 - which the 6.8 can't do.

Here is a link to MASSIVE amounts of info (incl graphs) of the Grendel compared to other calibers:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&...21&t=271627

or check out the forum:

http://www.65grendel.com/

This thing looks to be barking at the heels of the excellent .260 Remington, though it feed through a normal size AR upper.

Edited by Carlos

• 4 months later...

<_< Does any one have a line on case forming the Brass .... necking down the AK round.

Ams what about the Wolf brass How does it compare to the Lapua?

Is Alexander bullets loaded on Lapua brass? @ $24 a box

So Alexander does seam to have the dies in stock now.

Edited by AlamoShooter

You should be able to just lube the cases and run them into the sizing die. If you start to collapse shoulders, run them through a 7MM die first to reduce the pressure. Then they have to be fireformed to look right, and get the full capacity.

Alexander has brass listed on their website. Lapua brass, their headstamp. You can also get brass from E. Arthur Brown.

http://www.eabco.com/Lapua01.html

Adding that Sinclair International carries Forster dies in 6.5 Grendel too.

Edited by Dan Sierpina