Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

bkeeler

bkeeler

Live fire Recoil spring test:

At the range last night I set up a classic target at 10yds and Tried the variable 13lb spring which I have been running in the gun. Now all these springs I tested in the gun where verified for there weight on my spring tester and are new springs. Started with the 13lb variable spring and shot it and tracked the sights the sights did not track very predictably they tracked ok but sometimes the sights would end up just a little low and left and a couple high right had mostly "A" zone hits the shots low left were "C" hits if I recall correctly it was about 4 "C" hits, shooting at a pretty good shot split, increased the split times on each test with the same spring did this test about 5 strings and had the same results, keep in mind I am shooting as fast as I can see the sights. Now time to try the 14lb variable spring the sights tracked more predictably nothing low left or high right again all "A" hits again tried this several times with the same results. Now time for the 15lb variable and wow the sights tracked very predictably and right where the gun needed to return right where I was looking in the center of the target! So my conclusion for me, my gun and loads is the 15lb variable recoil spring enabled me to get the gun back on target in the exact same spot each and every shot again all "A" hits but in the center of the target! YMMV with your gun your load and shooting style! Is lighter better I used to think so, not for me and my shooting style/loads! I will be using a 15lb variable spring in my Limited gun from here on out (until I try the test again and see if anything has changed in my shooting style that would make things better). Just because TJ,TT, and what ever other top GM runs a light spring doesn't mean that it will work for everyone you must test this for yourself to find out what works for YOU! Give the test a try you might be surprised ea-their way you go with the spring weight. Forgot to mention that I run a 17lb main spring and the gun is a Bushing Barrel 5" STI Eagle Classic Flat Topped slide. Hope some of you found this helpful, I feel it helped me figure out what spring to use for me.

See you at the range!

BK

Edited by bkeeler

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steel Match today 03/19/11

I just did not have the patience that was needed shooting the steel match today. I went in with a speed focus that I could not seem to tame! I need to get back to dry fire. Always next time.

Getting ready for our local USPSA match next weekend!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2011 Arkansas Sectional I had a pretty good match finished 2nd A Class Limited and 8th overall Limited out of 37 Limited shooters. I had a clean, penalty free match! Benny @ Triangle shooting sports installed my new Briley bull barrel and it ran flawless. Thanks Benny!

Live fire practice last night shooting groups at 25 20 and 15 yds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSfmpm7OtFs

Local Steel Match 05/07/11

I had a great match today. I am finding that in steel matches it is not worth pushing the edge and just shoot at my pace 1 shot 1 hit. I did on one stage pushed a little hard and it did not turn out in my favor from that stage forward I pulled back a little. Finished 1st Limited and 2nd overall combined 7 seconds behind a master open shooter! Getting ready for the Central Pro-Am Speed plates match May21st!

BK

• 2 weeks later...

2011 Central Pro-AM Speed Plates held at Arnold Rifle & Pistol Club 05/21/11. Finished 1st A Class Limited and 2nd Limited overall. Had a good time and shot with a great Squad: Mark Quin,Tim Kunz, Carrie Carlson, Don Hart, Katie Hart,Tom Mead, Caleb Giddings, Adam Gordon.

To be honest after 12 stages of steel and 300+rounds I don't want to see another piece of steel for a while! LOL!

BK

• 4 weeks later...

Local match yesterday. I continued to push and learned from it. When I am pushing I am just seeing what it is like to go fast and watch everything happening. I re-shot the last stage and pulled back and really opened up and watched everything, I ended up knocking off 2.XX seconds off my run that counted in the match. It felt like I was in slow motion and was seeing everything happening, calling all my shots perfectly before I shot the stage the second time I told everyone I am going to shoot all Alphas. It was a 21 round stage and I am shooting Limited I had 21 rounds in the gun the buzzer goes off and I start shooting 12.XX sec run all Alphas! Perfect way to end the day! The first run when I went blazing the time was 14.XXsecs with a couple penalties. I pulled back enough to make sure I was seeing everything I needed to to make good hits. It was kinda like driving 85mph in your car for a while and then you slow down to 60 and it feels like your crawling! The next match I will be shooting I will see what I need to to make good hits and the time will be what it is. It always feels good when you discover things in your shooting that help you! You have to experiment with your shooting all the time to get to that next level!

I will post the video soon.

BK

Edited by bkeeler

An interesting way to shoot that last stage. No fear, trusted your memory and picked up every target. Vs. non-open shooters on stage 5; 1st and your raw time was 2.8s faster than the 2nd fastest. I expected you to shoot 7 targets before running to one side. Instead you shot 5 and picked up the last 2 at the end.

An interesting way to shoot that last stage. No fear, trusted your memory and picked up every target. Vs. non-open shooters on stage 5; 1st and your raw time was 2.8s faster than the 2nd fastest. I expected you to shoot 7 targets before running to one side. Instead you shot 5 and picked up the last 2 at the end.

I was going to just stand straight behind the barrel and shoot all 7 targets from that position(that's how Jeff shot it we talked about it after the match he got me by 1.91secs but he is also shooting open) but I figured it would have been to much foot shuffling to see each target so I decided to run up a little while drawing,(which I don't think hurt my time) there was a perfect sweet spot moving up but you had to hit the spot perfect to see all 7 targets,so instead of worrying where that perfect spot was I opted to just worry about the 2 far right targets to engage at that spot. Would I have been a little faster shooting it the other way maybe-maybe not, that's what I like about USPSA, options you have to pick the best way for YOU to shoot a stage and trust how you have decided to shoot it!

BK

• 2 weeks later...

USPSA match 07/10/11

Shot this match with my goal being to shoot points and let the time be what it is. I shot a penalty free match. Stage 1 I shot 97% of the available points,Stage 2 96% of the available points,stage 3 99% of the available points,Stage 4 93% of the available points, Stage 5 94% of the available points,stage 6 97% of the available points. Did not worry about time,looking back my times where not to far off the Master class shooters pace. I finished 2nd Limited 90% behind a Master class shooter as an "A" Limited shooter I was happy with my performance I did what I set out to do and that was to shoot points and let the time work it self out. I will continue to shoot points! I did struggle a little on 2 stages but that was stage planning. Getting ready for the Wisconsin Sectional this weekend.

BK

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Shot a couple local USPSA matches over the weekend. Saturday match at Sparta I finished 2nd Limited and 3rd overall combined divisions. When I came home found that my Dawson Bomar style adjustable rear sight hinge pin broke ugh! I had a spare sight laying around and took the pin from it and installed it,then had to go to the indoor range to sight it back in for the Sunday USPSA match at PASA Park. Finished 1st Limited and 3rd overall combined divisions. I had a pretty good weekend. Now on the search for a hinge pin for my spare sight well not an easy task because I only found 1 place that actually carried the hinge pin and that is KingSight well they want $7.50 for that little thing which I guess is better than a $70.00 sight....... I measured the pin and it is .079" diameter well I found some tool steel drill rod that is #46 .079" in diameter now I have 3 feet of it coming which I will have to cut ,but I don't think I will have a problem of it breaking and if it does I will have plenty. I will have enough left if anyone needs some spare hinge pins for the Bomar style rear sights let me know and we can work something out!

BK

• 3 weeks later...

Finished 1st Limited in the Ultimate Defense Defensive pistol league!

USPSA Match 09/11/10

I was shooting scared all day! I could not bring my focus back to the front sight it was on and off! Wasn't my best performance don't have the results yet. Time to go back to some dry fire for a while. Need to dial in for the MO Fall Classic! I did have a pretty could run on the Classifier!

BK

Dry Fire 20 mins. Worked on a good clean trigger pull,I am seeing the sights well today. Transitions and reloads. I have not been dry firing all season and after yesterdays performance I am going to continue the dry fire routine of 20 minutes 4 times a week and live fire at least twice a week working on trigger pull and group shooting.

BK

Scores posted from the USPSA match Sunday. I finished 4th in Limited......I am completely disappointed in my performance,but time to put this one behind me and continue my dry fire routine and get ready for the MO Fall Classic! Tonight I will dry fire before live fire my plan in Live fire is to just shoot a 15yd bill drill watching the front sight the whole time and shooting alphas not even going to bother doing it from the draw. Similar to Matt Burkett's timing drill nothing fancy. Notice I never mentioned the word s_ _ _d! Since I was struggling with this this past weekend( seeing the sights that is)!

BK

Edited by bkeeler

Replace your Fast, Hurry, or Speed thoughts with "Sooner". Think about doing things sooner and it takes the pressure off trying to do anything fast. It also helps to keep your attention focused on accomplishing the task at hand verses worrying about some end result or time schedule.

Replace your Fast, Hurry, or Speed thoughts with "Sooner". Think about doing things sooner and it takes the pressure off trying to do anything fast. It also helps to keep your attention focused on accomplishing the task at hand verses worrying about some end result or time schedule.

Thanks Charlie! That makes since! I really struggled at sundays match I could not focus on anything....I would start a stage good and then would lose focus on the sights and focused on the targets and did not see the sights at all I know this slowed me way down(wasn't able to call my shots) as I could not get a focus on what I needed to. It was like my attention would wonder around never had this happen before and did not know how to deal with it ugh! I plan on working my ass off for the up coming MO Fall classic!

P.S If you see Rick Hebert tell him I said hey!

Live fire last night at the indoor range. I worked on a drill that I ran a crossed here on BE with RL shooting steel targets I was shooting indoors so I switched it up to a metric target at 10yds and shot the back no-shoot white part of the target. I shot the second drill in the video below being indoors with other shooters hard to do the first drill that requires a timer. In just 100 rounds I shot I learned a lot about getting the gun back down and stopped before firing another shot. I can now see the sight how far it actually comes up above the target this is where I was struggling before doing this drill, I was firing my second shots to quickly causing high hits or a miss. I will continue this drill this week and weekend. My timing got better and better each time I shot this drill. Thanks RL this could not have showed up at a better time!!!!!!!!!

Edited by bkeeler

Had to repair my EGW one piece guide rod. It started to unscrew noticed it after my session last night. No the EGW is not a true one piece guide rod either.

From EGW

HI Bruce

The heads are 1 inch long and thread to the bodies, they are locktited together and tightened in a lathe.

Hope this helps

geo

So they are not true one piece either. Degreased and cleaned up the threads and used green locktite and screwed it back together. Can't complain it has been fine for about 4-5yrs.