Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6" vs 5" STI fat gun - in USPSA

John2A

I have several questions on the differences between a 5" and 6" STI or SVI based gun.

Does any one have any experience with both?

I am looking into one more for help with distances over 25 yards?

Has it helped your distance accuraccy in USPSA?

Has it hurt the times in close run and gun stages?

I am an average - to slightly above average shooter and looking for something to help with distance shots.

Currently shooting 5" STI edge just wondering if the extra inch is worth buying a new gun? :unsure:

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

John

I've just recently started using a 6" so this is what I've concluded......so far. The 6" offers nothing extra nor does it take anything away from the shooter when the targets are up close and personal. For me I have found the difference to be on targets from about 12 yards and out. I may be kidding myself but I feel much more accurate. The gun I have, built by Matt Cheely, is a frikkin' tack driver and it easily outshoots my abilities. I just shot a bigger match in NM with my new 6" STI and I shot way more Alphas than what I'm used to shooting. I attribute a lot of this to the sight radius of the 6". My only problem was I shot too conservative and slow which isn't the gun's fault. It does cycle slightly different than a 5" and I'm still adjusting to that. I am very happy with my 6" and I love how the extra length in the sight radius has helped me.

All of this is my experience and can and will vary from shooter to shooter and from gun to gun. Another 6" may cycle faster or slower or be weighted different.

I had a Glock 17, then shot a Glock 34. Really liked the way it felt and shot, and my eyes seemed to like the sight radius better.

Then I decided I would like to have a Hi-cap gun for Limited. Went with a Benny Hill built gun because, well....., its a Benny Hill gun. What more could you ask for. I also requested a 6" Fat Free. Basically the same weight and handling of a 5" gun, but with the longer sight radius like I liked in the Glock 34. For ME, this gun is the best. YMMV, but I do think this gun makes me a better shooter. Probably because I "think" it makes me a better shooter.

I like the way it handles and shoots and don't feel there is anything out there that will compare. That is good enough for me. My wish if for every shooter to some day find that one gun that they feel the same way about. Now I can concentrate on becoming a better shooter by practicing, without having doubts in my mind about how a better gun would help me progress.

My 6" gun is faster, lighter, and handles better than any 5" gun I have ever shot, plus I get the added sight radius. It also shoots flatter than an Edge for me. Long/tight shots are a world easier and faster too. No way would I run a 5" gun in a class where the rules allow me to use a 6". I didn't think there would be a significant difference when I built it but it absolutely amazed me, and everyone else that has shot it.

My 6" gun is faster, lighter, and handles better than any 5" gun I have ever shot, plus I get the added sight radius. It also shoots flatter than an Edge for me. Long/tight shots are a world easier and faster too. No way would I run a 5" gun in a class where the rules allow me to use a 6". I didn't think there would be a significant difference when I built it but it absolutely amazed me, and everyone else that has shot it.

I shot Howard's gun when Squishy had it and it shot real good. So far I haven't decided to switch. However,

my shooting partner just had Canyon Creek build him a 6inch 40 and looks and shoots real good. If I didn't have

a 5 inch gun that I love shooting, I'd have a 6 inch built. Who knows may have one built anyway. :surprise:

I haven't shot a 6" Limited gun yet, but based on comments from several other shooters, I've ordered one and can't wait for it to come in :) . The comments I've heard before are the same ones made here. You really don't lose anything up close, and you gain a lot on steel and long shots.

I too am just an average Limited shooter. Born into B class and still there. I've got a SV sight tracker (5") and a custom 6" STI by JPL precision. I'm doing much better with the 6", but for more reasons than just the length. The grip and safeties fit me better. My change from Dawson Ice to SV magwell has helped my grip some as well. The gun is lighter and better balanced. The sights are better and I like the flat trigger face better. Overall it's a better gun for me. I do not suffer on the close shots as the gun indexes perfectly. My long shots have much improved. 6" plate at 30-35 yards was no problem a month or so ago.

If you have limited funds, stick with the 5" but if you've got some cash to play with, go ahead and try a lightened 6" gun.

A new 6" gun doesn't cost much if any more money than a 5" gun. Very few used 6" guns come up for sale, and a few of the guys building them just don't have ANY used gun traffic as the owners won't let go of them once they shoot them.

I am looking into one more for help with distances over 25 yards?

I am an average - to slightly above average shooter and looking for something to help with distance shots.

A 6in gun isn't gonna hurt you at all in distance shooting, for sure. But, if you are having troubles with a 5in then you likely have other issues besides sight radius.

- Your loads might not be great.

- Your gun might not be fit well, or crowned well.

- You might not have very good trigger control or good follow-through on the front sight.

I'd explore those issues before chasing after new equipment.

One way would be to find somebody that shoots at your club that is really accurate. Shoot his gun and ammo...and have him shoot your's...for groups.