Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Collapsible Stocks

t-payne

I am trying out a Magpul CTR and like it for ease of transporting and short lenght of pull.

There are a bunch of disadvantages to most collapsible stocks in that the cheek weld is not great, and they move around. Not to mention how unnerving it is to have one collapse in the middle of a stage.

Still prefer my A1's for big match reliability.

Most collapsible stocks only offer the advantage of being able to shorten for transporting the gun.

Most have the huge disadvantage of generally being less stable and offering a cruddy cheek weld. This is due to the fact that there adjustment happens by moving the stock on the tube rather than the adjustment occurring behind the cheekpiece area.

There are two however that I think are viable. One is the Magpul UBR (and its prototype M93) and the ACE Socom. Both are very solid and the maintain the same cheek weld throughout there adjustment range. Mos

ace_m4socom_extM.jpg

ubr12.jpg

Edited by smokshwn

Its a personal thing, but I think a lot of the "stock movement" worries are overstated. I have a CTR on my primary match rifle and a plain vanilla M4 stock on my backup, and I honestly don't notice the difference between them when I'm shooting. I've never had one collapse on me, nor ever seen it happen to anyone else (maybe I live a sheltered life). I hear that facial hair can get caught, which could be distracting, but I'm clean shaven so this is not an issue for me. About the only downside is that the collapsing stocks are for sure not as solid as the A2 stock - if you are planning to butt-stroke people then the A2 is the better choice, and you have to remember to collapse a collapsible stock before doing the slam-the-butt-on-the-ground stuck case drill. Otherwise, the ability to adjust the length of the stock to suit your shooting position is invaluable IMHO.

I run an ace M4 with their extention tube, I'd like to upgrade to a vltor emod but I can't seem to find somebody with a comercial tube version. I don't really want to give up my ace tube, I like the screw stops and the extra reinforcement. I may upgrade to a magpul UBR, but its a little steep, especially considering I scored the ace M4 off a prize table :D

I have a Magpul M93B on my AR, and I really like it. Too bad it was discontinued. The UBR will go on my next one, as I like the cheek-weld not changing when I adjust the stock.

I do not like the cheek-weld to extension tube.

I've been using a Magpul 93 for the last 4 years. Well built and rock solid. I think having an adjustable stock is a must. Sometimes they have you shooting in strange positions where you might want to change the length so you're more comfy.