Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio magazines

olp73

Can't really see a crack, even zoomed in...

If it is cracked in the back down the center longwise, that is where the weld is, and that area will be brittle. But it should take a normal beating without cracking, maybe a flaw in the weld, try returning it.

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

I can see both cracks quite clearly on the back of the feedlips diagonally spreading out toward the outside of the magazine.

The one on the top of the photo is worse than the one on the bottom of the magazine.

That's pretty bad and I'd expect the manufacturer to replace that.

If it is cracked in the back down the center longwise, that is where the weld is, and that area will be brittle. But it should take a normal beating without cracking, maybe a flaw in the weld, try returning it.

jj

I can see both cracks quite clearly on the back of the feedlips diagonally spreading out toward the outside of the magazine.

The one on the top of the photo is worse than the one on the bottom of the magazine.

That's pretty bad and I'd expect the manufacturer to replace that.

jj

That’s right!!

The thing is the gun is old but the magazines are new. The original magazines were actually stolen in a break in long ago.  So, I am thinking it could be something with the gun. I don’t have any other than 3 identical magazines which I bought at the same time from the distributer of Tanfoglio here in Norway. In other words, they are made by Tanfoglio. Until now I have only used two of them and both have the same cracks. The one in the picture is the worst.

The distributer has already agreed to take them back, but I would really like to know what causes it. New magazines won’t help if the gun is the problem. If you look closely at the pictures you can also see small dents/nicks. (Between the cracks to the right in the picture) The magazine wall (same as the one with dents and cracks) is also bent a little outwards. I have tried to cycle the gun to se if the slide touch the magazine on its way back and forth but can not really see anything strange.

I have the new mag. button installed and the follower is shortened. The mags also have a +1 pad. The gun is a small frame 40sw, the magazines work 100% And I have never used reloads in them. If any of this makes a difference. I don’t see how, but anyway……….

Edited by olp73

• 2 weeks later...

Ive got the exactly same thing, the crack is the same. ive got no idea whats going on. im going to try send my mag back to tanfoglio in Australia or at least talk to them.

Although my mags are old, like 10,000 rounds old. :)

Edited by snaps

Ive got the exactly same thing, the crack is the same. ive got no idea whats going on. im going to try send my mag back to tanfoglio in Australia or at least talk to them.

Although my mags are old, like 10,000 rounds old. :)

blue or chrome mags?

• 1 year later...

If I wanted to try to fix these cracks could silver soldering be the solution as an alternative to welding? I have no Idea how strong it is, but a mechanic I know suggested that this could be a solution. The guy has no clue about guns, but he knows metals and suggested the heat might take the hardening out of the mag lips.

Any thoughts?

all my blued mags are cracking up by the feedlips. Tanfoglio was supposed to be sending new ones to my dealer (Freedom Ventures in Canada). but they haven't seen or heard anything. I've sent a bunch of emails to Tanfoglio about this and haven't heard back. First email was sent in November after the WS. They told me I'd be getting new chromed mags, with the dimple on each side of the lip, to replace all my blue tubes.

all my blued mags are cracking up by the feedlips. Tanfoglio was supposed to be sending new ones to my dealer (Freedom Ventures in Canada). but they haven't seen or heard anything. I've sent a bunch of emails to Tanfoglio about this and haven't heard back. First email was sent in November after the WS. They told me I'd be getting new chromed mags, with the dimple on each side of the lip, to replace all my blue tubes.

do you have any pictures of the mags?

Edited by olp73

Given the amount of stress that is put on the feed lips when the magazine is fully loaded I would say that silver solder probably wouldnt be strong enough. You could get them TIG welded but it would cost you more to weld them verses just buying new mags. Just buy some new mags and be done with it. In the grand scheme of things, mags are cheap.