Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No More Sp2

Rufus The Bum

While it might be possible to load Titegroup to Major in Super (I've run it up to ~150 PF with 124 gr bullets and no pressure signs), it would be in no way a replacement for SP2. You might try 3N38, but that's also not widely available.

With 115 grain bullets IMR sr7625 is hard to beat. If you don't mind the blast and flame 3n37 works very well, but isn't as clean as sr7625. 3n38 is very similar to 3n37 minus the flame, but still very loud.

Hey all,

Rufus, why do you change your powder ?

You were not happy with the SP2 ?

I remember being squadded with a guy who shoots 3Nsomething (37 or 38) in his 38 super, and it was funny to see and to hear.

Each one sounds differently :huh:

Plus, what a flash in the comp, man I think we followed him match after match by looking at burned windows and ports ;)

Julien, it seems supply of Sp2 is drying up in the states.

I don't notice any fireball from 3N37. I notice booming yellow fireballs from other people shooting N350.

Rufus, N350 is a versatile, safe Major powder. It's cleaner than 3N37 and I don't need as much of it.

Ok .

Of course for us the problem is the opposite : WE find very easily SP2 and V V but it's really hard to find american powders.

In fact, I don't even know if we can find some in France.

Maybe through Belgium or Luxembourg.

A friend of mine found a source for SP2. The only catch is you have to buy it in 55 pound drums. Its only $10 a pound but shipping is about $150 per 200 pounds. It is still alot cheaper than most any other powder. We've got 5 people going together on one 55 pound drum.

I wouldn't recomend the 3N37. It works really great, but I've been told that due to the flame temp of the powder it has a tendency to errode the rifling at the chamber. I have personally noticed my brass staying hot much longer with the 3N37 after being fired than any of the other powders I have tried. You might want to try AA#7 or IMR 7625 and 4756. The 7625 is suppose hard to get at times though.

Gentleman, I used 6.35 grains of titegroup in Starline 38 super brass with Montana Gold 124 JHP 1.250 OAL It made a power factor of 168 at the summer blast. My point of aim at 50 YDS. and 50 FT remain the same. Try it for yourself.It's my new favorite powder.

Gentleman, I used 6.35 grains of titegroup in Starline 38 super brass with Montana Gold 124 JHP 1.250 OAL It made a power factor of 168 at the summer blast. My point of aim at 50 YDS. and 50 FT remain the same. Try it for yourself.It's my new favorite powder.

I would be very interested in how your gun is setup...comps and ports?

And, if you could report back on dot lift between shots on a 10 round Bil Drill, that would be helpful.

I am a TG jukie. I have never imagined it would be good for an Open gun in Major though. I'd like to hear more.

I agree w/ loves to shoot: V V N105. This powder shows NO pressure signs w/ as much as I can pack into a Starline 9Supercomp case & a 5" SV - no hybrid holes. You will have to compress it but it works well w/o a fireball or the inconsistent report I got w/ N350 (crack crack BOOM crack BOOM). Amazing stuff, N105.

My comp is made by Barneys Performance (ck. out their web sight,really cool videos of their comps in action.) The dot movement is really going to be determined by gun weight ,strength of grip,ect.ect.I use a STI full length dust cover hi cap frame.AET barrel,lightened slide.My shooting buddy uses my ammo and he has the same results.His gun was built by EGW.It has a (4) port comp.I don't think the gun is going to make much of a difference though.I've tried (8) different powders so far but I do believe my quest has ended.I owe it all to the article about titegroup in Blue Press Magazine. Good Shooting

WmB,

Do you know anyone with a hybrid barrel that is using titgroup. The hybrids tend to need quite a bit more powder to make major than guns using just a comp, especially with 115's.

anyone needing SP2 should contact Pam at Mullins Ammunition in Clintwood, Virginia. the number is (276)926-6772. they have between 1500 and 1800 lbs of it in 55lb drums. we bought 220lbs and had it shipped by truck to the nearest Estes express lines terminal (which happend to be about 30 mins away) and with shipping and everything it worked out to $10.67 a lb. this stuff can't be beat for open guns in 38super or 9mm. one barrrel will load about 45,000 rounds. shipping is the main consideration. it costs probably about the same to ship one drum as it does to ship four or five. so you have to decide how far you want to spread the cost out.