Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP V-tac hand guard

outerlimits

can someone explain the relationship to the outer receiver nut and the inner retainer nut? having assembled others with just a single barrel nut, i don't quite understand how these two parts interact/fit? course i don't have one to look at either.

just installed the "new style" JP handguard.

the outer nut fits over the threads of the receiver.

after a degreasing, you're supposed to use a good amount of red loctite to hold it on. (if using any of the rails for sights, be sure to dry fit the handguard to confirm it's level before loctite drys.)

the inner retainer nut fits into the threads of the outer reciever nut and 'jams' the barrel into the receiver.

I was amazed that it worked according to instructions. I thought the outer nut would spin for sure when I torqued the inner. but all went well and the part looks and functions great.

hope this helps.

I use a rib temporarily attached on top of the hand guard that is then clamped to the top of the receiver with a riser to keep everything straight while the Loctite sets. This is only an issue if someone wants to put irons on the hand guard but I use it all of the time

I have one and I love it, great handguard.

I installed it myself, didn't degrease propperly the first time and I had to clean it up re-do it. Has anyone ever indexed the outter nut like you would with a comp, by taking just enough material off the back so it bottoms out on the reciever?

Polytech

i'm still confused over the design. conventionally, there is one barrel nut that tightens around the upper receiver. with this unit, there are two. what i can't figure out is the outer receiver nut has female threads that obviously must thread around the upper receiver threads which are male. but the inner barrel retainer nut has male threads and has me stumped. it apparently threads into the outer nut, but how the heck does it mate with the upper threads?

Yes I always cut a bit off the back of the outer "nut" so it bottoms against the receiver. It makes for a very solid mount, and it keeps gas from escaping at the nut and messing up your handguard and nut with carbon. KurtM

I have one and I love it, great handguard.

I installed it myself, didn't degrease propperly the first time and I had to clean it up re-do it. Has anyone ever indexed the outter nut like you would with a comp, by taking just enough material off the back so it bottoms out on the reciever?

Polytech

Yes, That is the way I install mine