Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Break Free CLP

sps

I just found a 15 years old bottle of Break Free CLP. I gave it a good shake and it looks (and smells) OK. I could not find any expiry date on the bottle. Is it still good to be used or should I forget about it (again) and get a new one?

BTW, during the last few years I used all sorts of lubricants but now I’m thinking to give it a try and not just use it as a “storage lube”. Anyone has an experience with this stuff?

I heard a rumor in the army that the stuff looses effect in a year after opening the can/bottle of CLP.

I then wrotre to the mannufacturer about it, but they never answered.

I have used the same bottle (quart spray can) for over two years and it still seems OK.

Some years ago, when I was testing Slide-Glide on a friction-brake machine, I tested every other gun and car lube I could get. Most gun lubes performed horribly at protecting friction surfaces from wear, including Break Free. I can't remember exactly, but I don't think it was a whole lot better than WD-40. Which is actually a better cleaner than it is a lube.

But a friction-brake machine is an "extreme device" - it tests a lube in a way that would never be reached in a pistol. So it isn't definitive. But I still wouldn't use it on anything I cared about.

be

I used to use CLP for lubrication but I found that the bulk of it runs off of the gun quickly in hot weather and it doesn't leave much of a film to protect from wear. I stopped using it about 2 years ago and now use this stuff called Friction Defense from brownells year round. It has the consistency of a thick oil. It stays where you put it and is great in hot or cold weather.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...EANING+PRODUCTS