Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

flying with excessive amounts of ammo

I flying from Seattle to Mississippi on Southwest Airlines for a class. I need 1500 rounds of 40 S&W. Southwest limits ammo to 11 lbs. er person. FED EX, UPS, and U S Postal say its a hazardous material and require a special permit with your ffl. Anyone have any suggstion for getting my ammo to Mississppi?

If you ship from a UPS or fedex center (not one of those you find at staples or office depot) you should be able to claim it as ORM-D and ship it via UPS or fedex.

OK. One more time. Ammunition is NOT classed as HazMat and shipping is no big deal at all.

First go to this link and read it. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=667326

Then bring your package that is properly classed and placarded to one of the main stations of FedEx or UPS and send it on its way.

Edited by Hank Ellis

UPS works well.

Correct, however, you must ship from an actual UPS depot, not a "UPS Store" or any other shipping intermediary as ORM-D is not accepted by these entities.

Check out the above linked thread (post #4) for a couple folks who used home pickup to ship the stuff.

Later,

Chuck

Edited by ChuckS

Correct, however, you must ship from an actual UPS depot, not a "UPS Store" or any other shipping intermediary as ORM-D is not accepted by these entities.
Correct. To do it by the book the package shall be offered for shipment at a main depot of either UPS or FedEx. Companies who have gone through the paperwork hoops can ship from their place of business. But for the rest of us who only ship ORM-D a few times a year it isn't worth the hassle.

I've heard of instances where ORM-D has been picked up at home. However it's one of those things that fell through the cracks and I wouldn't bet on it as a normal thing.

Keep these phone numbers in your pocket when you offer your package for shipment.

800-554-9964 - UPS Hazardous Materials Support Center

800-463-3339 - FedEx Customer Service

Often you'll encounter an individual at the counter who doesn't know the HazMat regs and rather than put out the effort to educate themselves take the easy way out and say NO. One call and it get straightens out immediately. I've dealt mostly with UPS as the depot is just around the corner from me. I haven't used the FedEx number but our shipping guys at our home office probably has them on speed dial.