Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Showing clear

Neomet

Well, this was the first time I shot with the EGW slidestop and I wound up with a question. How unusual huh? After every stage when I showed clear the round in the chamber would just drop down the frame rather than eject out the port no matter how quickly I cycled the slide. No problems at all with ejection during the stages and it will eject the last round with an empty mag in the gun.

Just wondered if this is normal or a sign of the Apocalypse. :rolleyes:

Edited by Neomet

What did it do before changing to the EGW pin? Changing to the pin, should not have changed the extractor tension. Is the extractor hook intact? When I shot a Tanfoglio, (early 90's, old power factor) I altered the extractor contact pad a bit to allow some more tension of the extractor on the case. The round in the chamber would then eject in the conventional manner, not drop down the mag well.

What did it do before changing to the EGW pin? Changing to the pin, should not have changed the extractor tension. Is the extractor hook intact? When I shot a Tanfoglio, (early 90's, old power factor) I altered the extractor contact pad a bit to allow some more tension of the extractor on the case. The round in the chamber would then eject in the conventional manner, not drop down the mag well.

If a super extractor is not tuned for Super Comp I think it does that. Before the EGW slide stop pin it was different? Thats pretty weird.

Leo

Sounds like the extractor is seriously lacking a good grasp on the brass rim.

I doubt (as others have said) it can be traced to the new slide stop.

In general, if the extractor lacks tension, then the brass/round is ejected from the bottom of the gun when no mag is present to push it up during slide cycle.

Normal ejection is OTOH reported when there are bullets or follower supporting the bottom of the brass/cartridge.

Henning actually tuned the extractor when he built the gun. Hmmmm..... The only other thing that is different is that I am using TJ brass now.

Did I mention that to add to the fun my dog happened to get into my gun bag and eat my spare extractor spring and pin? Grrrr....

Henning actually tuned the extractor when he built the gun. Hmmmm..... The only other thing that is different is that I am using TJ brass now.

Did I mention that to add to the fun my dog happened to get into my gun bag and eat my spare extractor spring and pin? Grrrr....

I think he's been over conspiring with Merlin's dog. :roflol:

Just an FYI my Beretta does the same thing no matter how fast I rack it, but it ejects just fine. In fact I ran 9-10k through it and never had one issue.

Well, I cleaned the extractor (again) and made sure there was plenty of tension in the extractor spring. Also looked again and again made sure it was tuned for rimless. Put it back together and it still wouldn't eject a round with no mag in. I loaded one of my regular SC rounds (Not TJ) and......kaFLING!! It zings out of the port. Its the brass, or at least the combo of the brass and extractor. I'm a little more comfortable that it will run through the big match up in NM this weekend. Curious though as I haven't heard of this before with TJ brass.

Nothing like a little pre-match tension 'eh?

this is actually very very common with a lot of guns. without a mag, loaded or not, inserted into the gun, there isn't anything to help "kick" the round up when the ejector hits it. try turning the gun so the ejection port is up, not to the side, and see if it still does it. This is pretty much the same thing that happens when you shoot a round without a mag in the gun, except that in that case the gun will often stovepipe or jam up on the spent round.