Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie to the sport, backyard range set up

boba

Hi everyone, I have been primarily lurking and learning here. What a great resource it has been. I stated shooting about 2 months ago after not handling a pistol for years. Years ago I was a part time marine deputy and also was an MP in the military...again many many years ago. So I can't really say I am new to shooting a pistol...just really really rusty. Anyway in the last two months I have shot two local matches and have managed to get two very close friends, and my daughter interested in it. Actually my very close friend was into it pretty heavy, then about 5 years ago things like job location and such took him away from it. I have about 5 acres of property that is very hilly and was able to come up with a practice range at home. Total distance that can be shot comfortably is 45 feet, and it's not very wide so practicing moving and shooting will be very limited. But still....I can shoot at home.:) And another plus I was able to hook up with another member from this forum that lives in the same city I do. He has been a great help and I have lots to learn from him.

Here are a couple of pics:

052708_19381.jpg

P1010534.jpg

Very nice!! I have a bay at home as well. May I suggest some non-falling steel targets? They are great to work drills on and don't tear up your backstop like repeated rounds in small areas through paper targets do.

Thanks everyone, took about 3 hours of tractor time (which is always a good thing also) and that's what I ended up with. I have a friend coming over tomorrow and we will be doing some practicing. I have a question about the non-falling steel. Will the 45' distance be far enough to be safe from the splatter?

Can I come to your house to play? :D

That's my kind of back yard!

Good luck with your shooting, and stay safe.

You bet! and the same goes for anyone else that wants to stop by. Saturday a friend of mine came over and we practiced from 11:30 to 4:30. Had a great time, shot 40 rounds or so, then sat and gabed or surfed the net looking up info(I have a wireless router) then shoot some more. Sunday my oldest daughter and her fiance came over and the 3 of us practiced. She will be taking an all womans course June 14th and I think she plans on competing also...:)))

Edited by boba

I couldn't efford such a range.....shooting 300rds+ a day .... would just kill my bank account :closedeyes:

Dansy I wish I had time in the evenings to shoot that but I don't. Lot's of other things that have to be done around here in the weekday evenings. I do go through a couple hundred rounds on the weekend days though. Getting hard to keep up with the reloading...:)

Edited by boba

Awesome back yard! Very awesome set up.

Let me just say, before you start talking about all the things you need to do to add or enhance your range . . . if you perfect all the skills that can be learned with the basic set up you have there then there will be no match you can't win.

That's what I call a foundation range. Master everything you can do there, and you'll have mastered the game because your basics will be beyond comprehension!

Very nice!

J

Nice Range Bob and it was great meeting you today.(I was lucky enough to get sqauded with him at CCR)

Little birdie Said there will be some steel Soon :cheers:

Ditto here Rob, and thanks! After todays storms I have several inches of rain up by the tragets. I will fix that next week with more fill in that area. Yea...steel will be nice::))).

Another fun match today and I see our scores are already posted.:) I got a ton of penalty's today ....(but they were fun ones..)

Laters....

Awesome back yard! Very awesome set up.

Let me just say, before you start talking about all the things you need to do to add or enhance your range . . . if you perfect all the skills that can be learned with the basic set up you have there then there will be no match you can't win.

That's what I call a foundation range. Master everything you can do there, and you'll have mastered the game because your basics will be beyond comprehension!

Very nice!

J

J thanks man, I am 55 and it seems that I can learn new tricks....it just takes me longer.:L))).

Well, I'm insanely jealous. :cheers:

Someday I hope to move to an area in the country where I can build a couple of bays to shoot in.

dj

dj, this was a life long dream that became reality about 4 years ago for me and my wife. We bought this property, hired a contractor and had our log home built. The range just fits perfectly where it is. Keep hoping and good luck!

..."Backyard Ranges'' can be SO MUCH Fun!!!...a GREAT "Stress Reliever"!!!...here's mine...

Mvc-001s.jpg

Mvc-007s.jpg

...we shoot at about a five-dgree downward angle into a creekbank that you can't see 'cause of the vegetation...'course, not many go into the 'bank...yeah, RIGHT!!!....mikey357

Edited by mikey357