Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smith & Wesson must have made a mistake

AzShooter

Well, I went and did it this weekend and bought another 627. Been having accuracy problems with my main gun and couldn't figure it out. Friend talked me into the new one because I had the money andI really needed an excuse to buy it.

So, we head to the store and they had two. One on display was nice but had a little tweek in the trigger. So I asked to see the other one. "What difference would there be?" The salesman asked.

So, he bring out the new box with that bright shiney Performance Center case and opens it for me to peruse. I opened the gun, asked if I couild dry fire it and was told sure. I tried the trigger and couldn't believe it. Not a hitch in it, no delay, just about perfect. I gave him both guns to test and he now knows thre is a big difference in factory guns.

On the first one you could see the scrape marks on the trigger and hammer. Second gun had no scraping at all.

When I got home I tested the pull with my trigger guage and it was a very nice 7.1 oz average of all cylinders. I did replace the rebound spring with an 11 lb that I have in all my other Smith and the trigger pull went down to 6 lbs. That's all I did to it other than replace the sights with high vis green from and a new Millet rear.

Bench rested it today and found it shoots under two inches at 25 yards off the bench without the fliers I was getting out of my other 627.

So I guess I'm set. :roflol: I'm a happy camper.

AzShooter - Do you want to sell the other one now?

Not sure yet if I want to sell it. It's well tuned by Apex and is sweet. Give me a little time and I'll probably post it in the classifieds. I hate to get rid of a gun but really don't need two of the same thing.

Not sure yet if I want to sell it. It's well tuned by Apex and is sweet. Give me a little time and I'll probably post it in the classifieds. I hate to get rid of a gun but really don't need two of the same thing.

Whatever you do, don't let the word get out that having two of the same thing isn't necessary ;) . I THINK I have my wife convinced that I need a backup for each of my competition guns, and so far, it has worked :) .

Congrats on the new purchase. Why not send the other to Randy and have him check the bore and make a recommendation on fixing it.

Just remember, Dave, quality control on the older (pre-lock/pre-MIM/pre-frame-mountedFP) S&Ws wasn't all that fantastic either:

.....Remember the 29s that would go out of time in less than a box of factory magnum loads?

.....Remember the gas ring problem and factory recall with that whole first run of L-frames?

.....Remember the J-frames that couldn't handle +P loads without the topstrap stretching?

.....Remember the inner frame and sideplate areas with machining marks as rough as a bastard file?

To quote Billy Joel:

"Cause the good ole days weren't always good

And tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems...."

Just remember, Dave, quality control on the older (pre-lock/pre-MIM/pre-frame-mountedFP) S&Ws wasn't all that fantastic either:

.....Remember the 29s that would go out of time in less than a box of factory magnum loads?

.....Remember the gas ring problem and factory recall with that whole first run of L-frames?

.....Remember the J-frames that couldn't handle +P loads without the topstrap stretching?

.....Remember the inner frame and sideplate areas with machining marks as rough as a bastard file?

To quote Billy Joel:

"Cause the good ole days weren't always good

And tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems...."

As Norm Abram would say "They don't build them like they used to and it's a good thing."

-ld

When I got home I tested the pull with my trigger guage and it was a very nice 7.1 oz average of all cylinders. I did replace the rebound spring with an 11 lb that I have in all my other Smith and the trigger pull went down to 6 lbs.
SWEET. That's a very nice trigger, you lucky dog.

Whatever you do, don't tell S&W about this, as they would assuredly consider your gun defective and insist that it be returned for repairs.

:rolleyes:

You know... as funny as that is, I was actually thinking you should never send it back to SW because they will replace the springs to increase the pull weight.

Lots of cynicism and brutality in the above posts! And I thought I was bad. But as long as you guys keep buying the new guns S&W probably couldn't care less about what we have to say.

Dave Sinko

And the really bad ones you guys won't buy will get sent to california because the bozos here will buy anything that goes bang.