Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Decided on my Dillon

Hey all,

OK, I decided to get a Dillon 550b to start reloading on.  Thanks all, for your input!  

I chose the 550 instead of the SDB because it looks like I'll be getting back into rifle competition sooner rather than later, so I'll need to learn to reload .223.

I'm getting an electronic scale and calipers, Speer's reloading manual, case vibrator and tumbler, and various odds and ends (little things, like a flip tray, extra primer tubes, case gauge, some consumeables).

I also got a steel power tool stand from Home Depot to mount it on for $40.  I'll let you know how that goes.

Anyway, what am I forgetting?  Is the Dillon instructional video a hot ticket, or not that helpful?  How will you respond the first time you see me slinging home-made lead downrange?

Thanks,

DogmaDog

Sounds like all you need is a Chrono.

Which caliber are you going to start with?

If it is .40, I recomend a Lee U die from EGW and a case guage.

You will want a case guage for any caliber you reload. Its a real pain to dissemble your pistol to use the chamber.

SingleStack,

Oh yeah...I got a Pact MK IV for Christmas, so I'm set there ;)

I'll be reloading .45 ACP, and I did order a case gauge.  

ElOtroErik, hmmm...I've done exactly one supervised session of reloading.  Maybe I oughta just plunk down the six bucks and get the vid.  They should just burn it onto CD and give it to you for free.

Lata,

DD

The two things I forgot to mention that you should get if you haven't allready is the bullet tray and the strong mount. THe bullet tray is really nice. It puts the bullets really close to the seating die. It lets you move your arm only a few incehs to grab a bullet and put it in the seating station.  Although the strong mount is not necessary, it really gives the press a much more solid feeling.  It can also make up for a lack luster loading bench. Again, I would get the video.

Also buy the Lyman reloading manual. It has the best instructional section for learners. Besides you can not own enough reloading manuals.

Find someone who also loads 45acp at your club and knows what he/she is doing. He/she should be easy to spot, he/she is the one with the pistol that works all the time.

Buy a Kinetic Bullet Puller.

I get by with using akro-bins as a bullet tray.  They are stackable, so I get the height I need.

(You'll need lots of handi akro-bins anyway.)

I also take a shop rag and fold it down to a quarter of it's regular size.  I use this to grip the standard handle.  This lets the handle "roll" thru my grip.

Better?  Probably not.  

Cheaper?  For sure.

I use 3 cheap, plastic, bowls instead of the bullet tray.  Each bowl holds a different bullet type, they stack(which saves space and gives the correct height), and I can rotate the angle of the bowls to get the bullets very close to the seating die.  Cheapy Chinese restaurant type bowls seem to work really well.

-ld

I will second TOErik's suggestion on the Strong Mount.  Worth every penny.  

The bullet tray is a nice feature but not a must have although you have to have the strong mount to use the bullet tray (at least on some presses).  It got it and I like it but a plastic dish on top of a Lasercast bullet box was just about as effective and a LOT cheaper.

One other thing is a good source of compressed air either canned or a compressor (with a water trap of course).  This is especially important if you tumble your brass.  The corncob or walnut media will end up in your press and the quickest way to get it cleaned up is with a blast of compressed air.

Oh...you are going to tumble your brass...right?  If not, you will eventually want a setup for this.  Dillon, Lee, RCBS, Midway, and a host of others all make good vibratory/tumble cleaners.  Media is cheap.

See...there is ALWAYS something more you "need" in this hobby.  :)

Cheers!

Kevin

Yeah,

I bought a tumbler + separator kit from Midway for $75, that came with some media and polish.  I also got an outlet timer for it, and have run a couple loads of cases through already. The press still isn't here, but I'll be ready for it when it arrives ;)

Midway's separator sucks compared to the dillon--the crank handle is one piece of plastic, and it slips on to the end of the axle, and easily comes off, or you lift the axle out of the groove in the bucket.  It works better just turning the separator box by hand.  But it does work, and it was cheap compared to Dillon, and a bit smaller.

Anyway, I mentioned elsewhere that I had gone and reloaded a couple hundred rounds on an SDB under supervision from a guy at my club.  Last Friday I went an shot almost all that ammo in a steel plate match.  I must have done OK at the reloading bench because all the ammo worked fine, I won the match in my division, and moved up in class.  The stuff was much softer shooting than factory ammo, or even ammo loaded for IPSC major.

Thanks for your suggestions, all!

DogmaDog