Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Locking compound for threaded comp

Neomet

What is the best (ok, really good) locking compound for a threaded comp. Mine has loosened up twice and the JB Weld over in the corner keeps calling my name. When I used to race red Locktite was the ultimate answer to parts that wanted to keep loosening, but I imagine times have changed and new products are out there.

Thanks for any help.

I have used red loc-tite in the past and not had a problem. The key is the parts have to be dead clean and primed with loc-tite primer, and it has to have 24 hours to set. That said, if you get it hot enough it will loosen. Two part epoxy, with no metal filler, works well too. Add a setscrew and the epoxy is about as secure as it gets.

The color of the loctite isnt important as they have many different strength in different colors. There is 242/243 for normal thread locking and 271 for heavy duty locking. there is a newer locking compound out there that is green and its number is 603 but I also have green loctite for electronics and such and it is only a vibration resistant compound. It is always better to use the numbers of the locking compound when discussing the product as the colors can make you choose the wrong one. If you go to the loctite web page and start looking around you will find one that will suit your need. Be aware that some of the compounds are very expensive for what you get.