Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blast off!

Recently, while working the Area 6 match, I paid special attention to all the big dog shooters running my stage. For those of you that were there, it was the stage 3, where you started with a loaded gun in the closed briefcase. One thing that all the M/GM shooters had in common was the absolute explosion from the first sequence of shots to the next target(s) after the last shot cleared the barrel.

I have tried to figure a way to develop this explosion whilst dry-firing and come up with a practice sequence that seems to be beneficial, for me, anyway.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to develop this through practice or is it just natural? Or am I just imagining this explosion?

Tip: The shortcut to knowing HOW to move like that is a class with Manny Bragg. He will teach you everything he knows, and leave it to you to put the work in to challenge him. A class with him is WELL worth the money, best money I have EVER spent in this sport.

Tip: The shortcut to knowing HOW to move like that is a class with Manny Bragg. He will teach you everything he knows, and leave it to you to put the work in to challenge him. A class with him is WELL worth the money, best money I have EVER spent in this sport.

I've been trying to put together a class with Manny for the end of this month but can't get enough participation. I guess everyone thinks they can get there on their own and don't need the help. I got 5 out of a needed 8 people, listed the dates and details here on the board and little to no interest. Looks like I'm going to have to go to South Florida to attend one of his classes. If I don't have 3 more people signed up by Friday it's not going to happen here in middle Georgia. His next available date will be in November.

First, I'd explore the "knowing how" to leave a position quickly. Have you studied on that part?

Yes, I have, and it seems there are different schools of thought. Lunge step, crossover, etc.

Been working with something new for me and so far I like it on the acceleration part. As far as deceleration is concerned, the biggest issue for me is getting and staying low, keeping a low center of gravity, using my legs as shock absorbers.

I wish I could take the "Manny" class but unfortunately I work on Saturdays, and the owner of the business will be on vacation.

Went over this in my class with DirtyPool40. I understand the process, but getting my fat @$$ to accelerate like he taught ain't gonna happen until I lose some more #s and my vertebrae behave a little better.

Maybe we can get DP to chime in, or maybe he'll want o run us through a class. I'd pay to go again for a few days.

As I would let the final shot of a string go, Manny was yelling at the top of his lungs GO! GO! GO!!

Part of it is calling your final shot with confidence and simply going for the next position. Particularly on steel, I have a habit of waiting for visual confirmation that the popper is falling before I commit to leaving and that is a time wasting habit.

There are several mechanical ways to get moving quickly, depending upon your physical abilities, your shooting abilities, and the difficulty of the shot presented as the one you choose to take last before leaving.

However, the absolute, most important, bar none skill to have in exploding out of a position? Can you guess it??

Shot calling.

There are several mechanical ways to get moving quickly, depending upon your physical abilities, your shooting abilities, and the difficulty of the shot presented as the one you choose to take last before leaving.

However, the absolute, most important, bar none skill to have in exploding out of a position? Can you guess it??

Shot calling.

Agreed. Shot calling was important because most shooters left the first sequence on a pair of head shots. And for the record, you were one of the shooters I was referring to. :bow:

Brian, sucks that you can't take the class. Knowing HOW to move makes a huge difference, and not just leaving positions. Entering a position is just as important, big transitions, etc. Like Dave said, calling the shot IS the basic fundamental, from there you get into the technical parts of movement.

Bobby, keep pounding the streets to find students. None of them will be sorry they took the class, and those willing to work at it a little will make BIG improvements.

Brian, sucks that you can't take the class. Knowing HOW to move makes a huge difference, and not just leaving positions. Entering a position is just as important, big transitions, etc. Like Dave said, calling the shot IS the basic fundamental, from there you get into the technical parts of movement.

Bobby, keep pounding the streets to find students. None of them will be sorry they took the class, and those willing to work at it a little will make BIG improvements.

I told Manny today it was a no-go. Didn't have enough people, could only get up 5 folks. For $300 for a weekend with Manny, I thought it was an unbeatable deal. Looks like I'll be driving to South Florida. Momma didn't raise no fool and I realize the money spent on Manny's class would be better for me than the 1500 rounds of ammo I could have bought with the money. What good is practice if it's not good practice?!?!

With the response I got from this attempt, I don't know if I'll try again in November when he is available again. I'll just go to one of his other scheduled classes and not have to worry about all the details myself.

Bobby, I wish I could join you, but for now I'll have to continue my work in the garage and local matches. The movement exercises I am practicing seem to be working. I also just reread Max's article in Front Sight and hopefully picked up a little more info.

One thing I do know is physics and physics tells me it is easier to acclerate and decelerate a lighter weight. 45DV8 and I are have been in a weight loss mode for a few months now. I believe he has lost over 30 pounds and I have lost 28. Since I am planning to shoot the open gun nationals I have set a goal to lose 23 more pounds. Don't know if it's like drag racing, ie: 100lbs = .10 seconds faster but for goals sake I am going to equate 1 pound to .01 seconds per stage.

So me stuffing twinkies in your range bag is not going to help very much huh? :devil:

All kidding aside, I wish you the best of luck with the diet. I know for me, getting married hasn't helped much. I'm 5'11" and 190 lbs and need to get back to 175.

'