Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Huntsville,

The home of one of the BEST 3-gunners in the US/World (and he hosts some pretty good matches) :cheers:

within 3 hrs driving distance of at least 5 clubs (Birmingham, Anniston, Corinth MS, Nashville TN, Manchester TN) and may be more. :)

Winters are MUCH more mild than what you are used to. :goof: Summer is a little longer, and a good bit HOTTER and muggier(HUMID) but after a few years you still won't be used to it. <_<

Hopalong

I have the possibility of relocating to Huntsville and am looking for any and all info about the area, shooting and non-shooting related, positive and negative.

Thanks

Mike,

I think you would like Huntsville.

It's not a major city like Atlanta or New Orleans but it's the largest city in North Alabama.

I'm guessing population somewhere aroung 150,000.

Because of the military and aerospace industries it is very modern and high tech city.

It has all the amenities that you would expect to find in any major city with exception of professional sports.

I live in Albertville which is about 40 miles south.

If you like water sports like fishing, boating, water skiing etc. Guntersville Lake is a short drive away.

As for shooting, Huntsville has a USPSA club called Rocket City Shooters.

There are various other clubs in north Alabama and central Tennessee depending on how far you want to drive for a club match.

The winters are mild enough that you can shoot year round.

Come on down.

If you want to come and spend a weekend, you can stay with me and I'll be happy to show you around.

We'll teach you how to say Y'all and eat BBQ.

Tony

Edited by 38superman

Huntsville has got a lot going for it. Don't expect as much snow as you have now. 3 flakes on the ground and the schools are closed and all the milk and bread are gone from the stores.

There is a lot more IDPA than USPSA but you can find a shooting match practically every weekend within a couple hours drive.

John

Edited by iainmcphersn

Thanks for all the info so far, what about housing If I work in huntsville am I going to have to drive 30-40 min for a modest house in a good area? how far would I have to go I wanted to be able to have a small practie range inthe back yard, if its legal to do so ?

Thanks for all the info so far, what about housing If I work in huntsville am I going to have to drive 30-40 min for a modest house in a good area? how far would I have to go I wanted to be able to have a small practie range inthe back yard, if its legal to do so ?

Do you know what part of Huntsville you'll be working in. The Huntsville area is spread out pretty far for a city this size. You can find rural enough for a range, but you may have to drive a few miles to work. I would try to locate so as to avoid a commute across the city.

I just retired from a job in St. Louis and moved to a town about 20 miles south of Huntsville. Shot a USPSA match my first weekend here.

You will probably be pleasantly surprised at the cost of housing.

Best, Rik

Do you know what part of Huntsville you'll be working in. The Huntsville area is spread out pretty far for a city this size. You can find rural enough for a range, but you may have to drive a few miles to work. I would try to locate so as to avoid a commute across the city.

I just retired from a job in St. Louis and moved to a town about 20 miles south of Huntsville. Shot a USPSA match my first weekend here.

You will probably be pleasantly surprised at the cost of housing.

Best, Rik

Excellent points. If you will be working on or have access to Redstone Arsenal, it can help with the commute. A large part of getting across town in Huntsville is going around the arsenal. If you can cut across, so much the better. Also be very cognizant that there are only a couple of places to cross the Tennessee River near Huntsville. A location which is right across the river from where you want to be could take 30-40 minutes of driving.

Good luck!

John

Edited by iainmcphersn