Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom Wheel gun

motorcycle_dan

I have this really nice K frame smith revolver in .38 special. I'm toying with the idea of modifying the cylinder or getting another one designed for moon clips. Then I started thinking about a 9mm conversion. Anyone ever done this? what are problems associated with it? I know it would be minor shooting 9mm but steel plates in action pistol only have to ring.

Would I need a special 9mm cylinder made up or just modify a .38 special cylinder to accept moon clipped 9mm

Does someone already make moon clips for such a conversion?

Is it easier to convert to a .38 special with moon clips?

Do I need to spend more money on therapy rather than putt'n my gunsmith's kids through school?

Edited by motorcycle_dan

I have this really nice K frame smith revolver in .38 special. I'm toying with the idea of modifying the cylinder or getting another one designed for moon clips. Then I started thinking about a 9mm conversion. Anyone ever done this? what are problems associated with it? I know it would be minor shooting 9mm but steel plates in action pistol only have to ring.

Would I need a special 9mm cylinder made up or just modify a .38 special cylinder to accept moon clipped 9mm

Does someone already make moon clips for such a conversion?

Is it easier to convert to a .38 special with moon clips?

Do I need to spend more money on therapy rather than putt'n my gunsmith's kids through school?

I did it, but I used a 9x21 reamer, only cause I had boat loads of brass. But it works well with 9x19 as well. I have a 686 that was done by TK custom years ago and works with 38 super, 9x23, 9x21, 9mm and will still shoot 38 special, but the brass will bulge some thing awful and the brass will be junk.

Dan, you could shoot 38 Short Colt and have all the benefits of the 9x19 round with a case that fits in your gun without any modification. If you wanted to moonclip it you could get moons for the short colt and be done with it. There is a bunch of info on the Revo sub-forum about the short colt, take a look. It may save you a lot of money and time as some others.... ;) have done some of the research already when they were thinking what you are thinking right now.....

Good luck on your quest!

DougC

It may save you a lot of money and time

My original thought on the project is that I have a bunch of 9mm brass which wouldn't need any special loading for a revolver if chambered for it. I guess there are problems associated with the 9mm that I don't want to deal with. Part of my thought process was to get a cheap (dept turn in type) S&W. Then have a special barrel and chamber made up for it. I'll put it off for now.

Well, today is officially a crap day. Up early and reloaded for the action pistol match at Briar Rabbit. Then ready to load up the car and go, rain, Cold miserable rain. Call me a sissy but I have a problem going to a match in the rain. If it starts raining while I'm there I can deal with it. But starting out in the rain. Yech.

Sort of like me and motorcycles. I can suit up and ride in the rain but starting out in the rain has always been hard.

So no match today. I'll do some more reloading and brass sort'n I've been putting off.

It may save you a lot of money and time

My original thought on the project is that I have a bunch of 9mm brass which wouldn't need any special loading for a revolver if chambered for it. I guess there are problems associated with the 9mm that I don't want to deal with. Part of my thought process was to get a cheap (dept turn in type) S&W. Then have a special barrel and chamber made up for it. I'll put it off for now.

Well, today is officially a crap day. Up early and reloaded for the action pistol match at Briar Rabbit. Then ready to load up the car and go, rain, Cold miserable rain. Call me a sissy but I have a problem going to a match in the rain. If it starts raining while I'm there I can deal with it. But starting out in the rain. Yech.

Sort of like me and motorcycles. I can suit up and ride in the rain but starting out in the rain has always been hard.

So no match today. I'll do some more reloading and brass sort'n I've been putting off.

The worst day of shooting, sorting brass, reloading is better than the best day at work. Which I have to leave for in 2 hours. I hope my boss isn't a revolver shooter... :P

I was thinking about having a gun converted to 9mm, because I shoot 9mm already and have tons of brass. After reading a bit, I just got 38 special 627 and a 1050 to load for it. I wanted to shoot ICORE and steel, so I needed "high" capacity. :roflol: And just in case I damaged my gun, I could pretty much go and buy one off the shelf and be back in the game (sort of). Though my current and only 627 was a used purchase.

Seiichi

I wonder what your chances of tracking down a lone K frame 32Mag cylinder are? That might be no small task, or fee. I wonder if S&W still has any. Hmmm...

I wonder what your chances of tracking down a lone K frame 32Mag cylinder are? That might be no small task, or fee. I wonder if S&W still has any. Hmmm...

I was thinking maybe an orphaned 22lr K frame cylinder would work also.I don't know if the heat treating would be right though.TK Custom has the clips.

Edited by kframe_mike

Rick Hupp has one of those Short guns

Does he have electronic mail or something. Send him my e-mail address please.

motorcycle_dan@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Dan

P.S. Shot my new Rock River Arms 1911 bullseye gun last night. It is almost like cheating. I made two sight adjustments then proceded to shoot 20 rounds at the target. Two of which were 9's. The rest 10's & X's.

I've always wondered how much trouble it would be to get a new cylinder and if necessary a new barrel to do the same conversion to my 686 38 super PC.

Let us know if you do decide and what the cost breakdown was.

I've always wondered how much trouble it would be to get a new cylinder and if necessary a new barrel to do the same conversion to my 686 38 super PC.

Albert,

For USPSA anyways, isn't 38super gonna be easier to make major for revolver? And since you'd be shooting on moonclips, it's not like you gotta chase the brass around. Any reloading only requires a change in the seating die.

I'll trade you my 9mm J-frame for your 686 ;)

~Mitch

Albert, are we talking 38 super to 9mm or to the 32 mag. Depending on the moonclip "unfired" 9mm will fit the 38 super, there has been much discussion on that one.

ETA. One other item to watch if you cut a cylinder for the 9mm and moons. the 38 super is a semi rim while the 9mm is rimless. Whick only means if the cylinder is cut for moons and has a ridge so the rim will rest on the edge so you can fire them 1 at a time you may have a headspase issue with the 9mm. Head space issues may cause the primer to exhibit pressure signs and flow back into the firing pin bushing. :surprise: We may have seen this issue at a Tontitown match, the jury is still out.

Edited by Bubber

Rick Hupp has one of those Short guns

Does he have electronic mail or something. Send him my e-mail address please.

motorcycle_dan@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Dan

P.S. Shot my new Rock River Arms 1911 bullseye gun last night. It is almost like cheating. I made two sight adjustments then proceded to shoot 20 rounds at the target. Two of which were 9's. The rest 10's & X's.

He just posted in the PSA thread under the handle of vtr1 (I didn't realize/recall that he came through here)

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...20&start=20