Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I am considering redoing our verizon cellphone contract for another 2 years to get the ability to drop the crappy motorola Krazer phones we now have. We love Verizon's service but the phones have been junk. In eight months my wife and I have each gone through 3 batteries! The samsung Glean has been recommended as having fewer problems and much better battery life. Anyone have these?

Argh. I just replaced my old Samsung with the Motorola Razr (wifey's too) so far, no complaints, but I can tell you the batteries don't hold a charge as long. My Samsung went everywhere in my pocket (no holder) for 2 years with nary a problem (dirt, dust, lint, coins, slammed against stuff, etc.) I like the Razr so far, but it's still new. We'll see.

I've had Samsungs the past 5 years or so - they work fine. I had the same battery problem in mine, both std and high capacity batteries wouldn't hold a charge. My wife's identical phone never had the problem. We just got new phones and the provider warned us not to use the cigarette lighter charger, that it kills the battery in next to no time. Wouldn't you know it - I charged my batteries by plugging into the lighter, and my wife always used the AC charger off of a wall outlet. So maybe there is something to the circuitry in the battery or the DC charger unit being buggy. So far, my new phone's battery is holding a charge well (and is only juiced up at home).

ETA that I have no idea what model I have, but I'll check the instruction/warranty stuff at home, or can show you next time I see ya at the range.

Edited by kevin c

Not a fan - but I've only had one Samsung phone. Hated the some of the software's quirks - i.e. somebody calls me and leaves a voicemail - so I try the good ol press and hold 1 trick to call my voicemail - the phone decides it'd be better if I just talked directly to the last missed call :angry2: Could never figure out how to switch back to the original call when using call waiting (and I'm no slouch when it comes to technology). There were other things. I hated the phone so much I plunked down $180 out of pocket to replace it while still under contract. Picked up a Katana2, which I love. Switching from Sprint ASAP though and going back to T-Mobile, so we'll probably wind up running Nokia or Motorola again. After having a few phones from some of the bigger brands, I see why Sanyo gets the best press, and I'll probably stay away from Samsung for a while (but I'm picky like that).

Only had one Samsung and that is my current BlackJack II that I got about six weeks ago. Thus far I really like it. Excellent battery life considering what I do with it. My phone synchs with an Exchange server constantly as well as POPing mail off another server every 30 minutes. I also send quite a bit of mail from it and do some surfing. Oh and yes, I make/receive a few calls. I have to charge it every three to four days and never turn it off. Compared to the HTC 2125 it replaced which went two days at best it is very good.

One of my co-workers has had a number of the Samsung phones that Sprint uses for he and his family (the thin black clamshell...whatever that one might be is his current phone) and he likes them.

My wife loves her Razr as well. It replaced a Nokia she absolutely hated, wouldn't carry and always had a dead battery.

i'm on my second Samsung, had the first one, i500, for about four years. Never replaced a battery. Only had my Katalyst for a couple of months, so I can't say much about it yet.

I put my i500 in the charging cradle almost every night and used the car charger only on rare occasions.

We have 4 cellphones in the house, 3 Samsungs and one LG. Read after getting the LG that it is a POS. Well the 3 Samsungs have been living in the repair shop and my daughter never had a single problem with her susposedly crappy LG. I cannot wait for September when I am due to upgrade to anything but a Samsung.

The 2 LG's I have on Verizon have been 100 % perfect. Great battery life and a very good phone.

I had a Samsung ( i think ) on Sprint and it was OK as I recall but have since switched to a LG there as well.