Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fat Free Longslide

For those who have a Fat Free Longslide from Benny Hill, how does it shoot compared to the 5" as far as the sights tracking, target transitions etc? Does the slide cycle faster than a 5"? I'm almost ready to get one, but have never shot one. Also, what about the extra weight up forward? I'd really appreciate anyones input who has exprerience with this particular gun.

I had one, but I traded it back to Benny for one of his open guns. I liked the longer sight radius because it made long or tight shots a tad easier with my aging eyes. I also seemed to have a fast barrel because I made major using several tenths less powder than what it took in a five inch pistol. My particular pistol tracked straight up and right back to point of aim very well. Of course the timing can be changed by switching loads and how the sight tracks depends on your grip. The slide weighs the same as a five inch and it cycles just as fast. The balance is right in front of the trigger and it didn't feel nose heavy. My transitions were as good with the 6 inch as with my 5 inch if not better. Every one who shot the pistol really liked it and it never missed a beat. Frankly, I don't know if the six inch trend is just a dying fad or not but I do regret selling mine.

I won this one a few years ago (don't mind the shorty, though):

Bennyguns_ltd_2.JPG

I've messed with 5" heavy dustcovers and 5" standard .40's, and if I were to buy a Limited gun I'd buy another 6" Benny gun like the one I have. Cycles like an Open gun, and since so much weight is missing out of the front it "feels" as fast or a bit faster than a 5" heavy.

Of course, I'm just a "B" shooter so what do I know :blink:

Actually, I know I went up 10% on my classifiers when I switched from a heavily customized P14 :ph34r:

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

Have you talked to Benny about my old 6 inch pistol? He did some rather radical lightening on the slide and made it cycle even faster. I guess he made it into a prototype so to speak. I haven't spoken to him to see how it worked out. As a used pistol he might sell it cheap.

I echo Alex, even though he only let me shoot it once. :( My classifier from shooting Lim 10 with his Long Slide was almost 30% better on local match level and 15% nationally at the time. I was shooting an old comfortable Para at the time. I still love that Para, but the Long Slide is an exceptional performer.

Liota

• 2 weeks later...

rufus:

I shoot one that I have built-Its a 6" STI slide on a les bear frame

the slide is a full profile and I have it Lightend to the same weight

as a 5" you cant see the lightening holes and cuts from either

side_I can build you one for 1150-you can ask Chuck at shooters

connection about my work/

Jim Anglin

sailors custom Pistols

4760 n 7th st.

Omaha Ne 68110

402 45 0797

jjanglin@msn.com

I know Benny builds top shelf shit, and I've only heard great things. I would like to play with and try a 6 inch. I also remember reading a post from Brian when he shot TGO's 6 inch .45 and said it was pretty easy and cool. The accuracy was pretty good with longer sight radius and he felt like he could cheat a little and use the front sight more and less of the rear sight and still gets hits. I think he was shooting plates. I do remember he was saying good things about it.

I'd first like to see how it cycles, swings, points, etc.

Shot my new 6" yesterday for the first time and all I can say is WOW!!! I worked up a load that was about 168pf and there is no comparison. We were plinking (and hitting) a soda can at about 40 yards with ease. Splits were faster, Bill Drill and El Prez times were faster. I seriously doupt I'll ever shoot a 5" in USPSA anymore.

Eric, I think he said he just done building it to use as a display piece when I called. I believe he said it was the first one of it's type he has built using a Nowlin barrell and it groups 1" or better at 50 yards, I truly believe it because we were easily blasting a tin can at 40 yards. I'll be posting a pic in the next day or so.

Strato...

Whew! For a minute there I thought we were going to have to change Benny's tag line to "Takes Orders Telepathically."

:P

Do post pics soon. (I have GOT to get my paws on one of those sometime...that sounds like the ticket.)

Hey all:

Benny built me a Nowlin barreled long slide with a bushing and delivered it on May 7th. Stratochief now owns it,s twin. I like it much better than the 5" Edge I have and it much LESS nose heavy than the Edge. I have found that the bushing barrel recoils less than the bull barrel 6" that Benny built for Blane. Benny and I both feel that it is because of less weight hitttng the frame after unlocking. I have been running a 14# spring for a 5" gun in it and so far to date the best group it has shot is 1.5" at 50 yards, off a rest of course, with 180 xtp and tite group powder. This was a 5 round group, and it has grouped just as well with AA#2 powder and with West Coast plated 180s. It has never malfunctioned and is extreamly fast target to target. With the long sight radius it is a very easy thing to make 25yd head shots and plate racks and long range steel are a snap! The gun is fairly light, 36 oz. on the scale, and has less muzzle flip than a 43 oz. Edge. If you ever thought about a 6" gun GET IT FROM BENNY!!!!! KURT